Manly to Move to Gosford????

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
From memory the Delmege/Penn families own around 80% of the shares with the Football club owning the other 20% plus 1 preferential share.

It is my understanding that it is this preferential share that is the controlling one when it comes to club colours, naming and home ground.

To even suggest that even 1 football club member would vote for the extinction of this club beggars belief.

Of course the devil is in the detail and it may be worthwhile to investigate the real power of this Preferential share.

From memory the Delmege/Penn families own around 80% of the shares with the Football club owning the other 20% plus 1 preferential share.

It is my understanding that it is this preferential share that is the controlling one when it comes to club colours, naming and home ground.

To even suggest that even 1 football club member would vote for the extinction of this club beggars belief.

Of course the devil is in the detail and it may be worthwhile to investigate the real power of this Preferential share.

No disrespect intended in this question Pete, but why wouldn't you support and embrace this idea of moving to The Central Coast regardless of the team name etc...

You would have a local club to support.

I on the other hand support Manly because it is where I grew up, and is my demographic...I love Manly to tears, but I would struggle to support a team that embraces a region I despise, and aligns itself with a demographic that portrays & cheap and sleazy persona IMO.

Seagulls would be perfect if they are there permanently. Scabs looking for the easiest place to get the next free feed.

No disrespect intended in this question Pete, but why wouldn't you support and embrace this idea of moving to The Central Coast regardless of the team name etc...

That is in fact disrespectful but I am hardly surprised. It is disrespectful for the blood I spilt on Brookvale Oval whilst playing for Narraweena and Manly Oval playing Rugby. it is disrespectful for the hours that I spent on patrol as a member of Queenscliff Surf Club. For my mates at Allambie Heights Public School I feel saddened and for the years that I spent on Brookvale Oval Hill whilst you were still at your mothers teat is nothing short of disrespectful. What I find most disrespectful is that you have been a Manly supporter for what, 3 or 4 years now! and you even dare to suggest that I may prefer to support a team based on the CC, I spit on your feet!

Rather than change the direction of the topic and question my support of playing at Brookvale the topic would be better served by your opinion on the issue.

You tell 'em like it is Pete. Your opinions on any games played at CC are well documented.
To be fair to Rhino I don't think he understood your passion.

[quote author=Ryan]

That is in fact disrespectful but I am hardly surprised. It is disrespectful for the blood I spilt on Brookvale Oval whilst playing for Narraweena and Manly Oval playing Rugby. it is disrespectful for the hours that I spent on patrol as a member of Queenscliff Surf Club. For my mates at Allambie Heights Public School I feel saddened and for the years that I spent on Brookvale Oval Hill whilst you were still at your mothers teat is nothing short of disrespectful. What I find most disrespectful is that you have been a Manly supporter for what, 3 or 4 years now! and you even dare to suggest that I may prefer to support a team based on the CC, I spit on your feet!

Rather than change the direction of the topic and question my support of playing at Brookvale the topic would be better served by your opinion on the issue.

[/quote]

It's hardly disrespectful in the context of me absolutely not knowing your history Pete, so you have brazenly over reacted there mate.

"The Sea Eagles will be The Sea Eagles regardless of where they play." That is the perception the club would want. I, like you (from the way I am reading this, and your reply to me) believe that The Eagles on the Central Coast would not be the Sea Eagles.

Would you still support them though Pete? :?:

You asked for my honest opinion on the topic, and here it is:-

I support Manly because I live in this demographic. Same as when The Bears were in my district. I was able to DROP The Bears because:-

1. They were made defunct (I had no choice);
2. The transition was made easier, because of the class and my respect for Manly players like Steve Menzies, Geoff Toovey and co. at the time.

(This does admittedly mean I swapped teams - whether that makes me a bad person in some peoples eyes should really paint those people in the shallow light that they belong).

For that reason, and putting my angry hat on, I'd LOVE to say up yours to Manly if they moved to The Central Coast, because that is the way I am outwardly feeling. Inwardly, I could never support another club, as much as I tried. For example, The Bears PL played Manly PL last year, and I hoped Manly would belt them during the game (and they did !!!).

You say that I have disrespected you most of all because I have only been a fan for 3 to 4 years, don't know your history and passion for The Club, and that you spit at my feet. In reference to that:-

Yeah, you have supported this club your whole life, and you have emphasised here that you are more a "deserving", more important fan than I. Maybe so Pete, and I agree. But I love Manly as well, and it is a passion of mine as a hobby. I think my behaviors and assistance I have tried to give the club shows this. I would be thoroughly gutted if they moved to The CC. I can't stand the area, and I want you to know that is in NO reference to you @ all. It was more a generalisation.

For that reason, I'd probably finally give up the game as a whole, but I'd still obviously keep in touch with the friends I have made through the club like Andrew, Daniel & co.

I apologise if I have offended you, as like I have said twice now, I didn't know your passion for The Brookvale element of the club, and without trying to sound like a smart alec, I honestly want to know how you would move forward as a fan if The Eagles moved to The Central Coast, and as I have said previously, as such a loyal, long term fan, I THOUGHT you would have embraced the idea???

Cheers Pete..

Some Manly is better than no Manly. If their only options are to perish where they are or be financially viable elsewhere, I would take the second.

Some Manly is better than no Manly. If their only options are to perish where they are or be financially viable elsewhere, I would take the second.

Yet you did not support the NE? At least the NE venture was, at least on the surface a 50-50 venture between Manly & Norths.

Regardless of which club relocates (if ever) to the CC they will not be able to retain their heritage. If one lesson was learnt from the JV was that the residents of the CC will not support a team that is not a genuine "local" team.

They refused to support the Northern Eagles, they refused to the CC Rays in the ARC, a competition which they won but they do support the Mariners in the A League.

If Manly (heaven forbid) ever relocate to the CC they will not be Manly. But then again the members control the one share that really counts.

I may lose sleep over Manly playing a couple of games at Bluetongue this year, but I am not losing any sleep over this storm in a teacup.

That's right. And the threat to move the \"franchise\" is not an idle one.

Your comments on how the "franchise" will deal with the preferential share, assuming the threat to relocate is real would be interesting.

I cannot recall a situation where the minority shareholders have the controlling vote. When it comes to where we play this is the case in this scenario.

According to a constitution which can be changed by ............

You would be delusional to think that the members would vote to allow a change in the constitution and effectively kill Manly.

Who is to say that Delmege will not vote with minority shareholder?

Regardless your argument is flawed as you have not been able to explain how the majority shareholder(s) plan to overcome the golden share held by the members. Any change to the constitution (in relation the golden share) will require the agreement of the members and that is not something that I can ever envisage.

Any change to the constitution (in relation the golden share) will require the agreement of the members and that is not something that I can ever envisage.

Are you sure of that Pete (not a rhetorical question - I don't particularly want to dredge through the annals of the constitution to see what's what).

Pete is right if constitutional change comes down to a show of hands, but wrong if it comes down to proportional interest.

Given that the "golden share" is owned, for want of a better term, by the members I cannot (in a democracy) possibly foresee any other way in which either of the major shareholders could get access to it other than by a vote.

There is a Q&A section over on MSE where questions can be asked of Mayer. I have asked:

Can you explain the role of the "Golden Share" regarding club location and colours? Would a relocation of the club *only* be possible if a majority of club members voted for such a move, or would this decision be based on the proportional basis of shareholding (where two parties hold a majority shareholding in the club)?

I submitted my similar question on Friday. My question to you is "don't the majority shareholders already know the answer to this?".

Because if it is as I suspect then all the "huff & puff" and threatening to take away the bat and ball to Gosford is no more than what most have taken it to be, a bit of grandstanding during an election period to get funds for Brookie.

I will say however that I more than happy for the club and the shareholders to engage whatever tactics they feel are necessary to secure the required funding.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
5 4 1 23 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 14 8
7 4 3 -18 8
6 3 2 21 7
7 3 3 20 7
7 3 4 31 6