Manly v Northern Territory 1985

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
I think I might have been at the game, I don’t remember the game looking like that, as I believe that I was on the opposite side of the ground from the grandstand, from where the footage was taken.

As I recall we used to take preseason games to Darwin for a few years in the mid-1980s and I was working up there in the 1980s.

I definitely remember seeing Bozo and Fatty playing in one game, can’t recall Igor though.

Thanks for posting the link. I got this game off Bob and was glued to the 2nd half when Igor, Alan & Bob ran on. I had heard Vauton on TV comment about how Bob would run past them to tackle.
Also did you notice Vautin played on the wing for at least the 1st half?

Plenty more games in my YouTube channel.
@HoldenV8 weighs in on the Manly games with historical detail.

Would say one thing , certainly some very willing tacklers in that N T side .
Just some snippets of Tony Melrose in action , a seriously classy footy player in his day .
Shame that the Manly sides he played in at the time were not able to be just that extra bit competitive .
Dave Ronson had a bit of toe and a good local junior who did go quite well in general in his Manly career
Glen Ryan [ i think he was in this game ] , also a good level local junior at the time

Thanks for posting the link. I got this game off Bob and was glued to the 2nd half when Igor, Alan & Bob ran on. I had heard Vauton on TV comment about how Bob would run past them to tackle.
Also did you notice Vautin played on the wing for at least the 1st half?

Plenty more games in my YouTube channel.
@HoldenV8 weighs in on the Manly games with historical detail.

I haven't read it in years but I have a feeling that Fatty talked about this in his book "The Strife and Times of Paul Vautin". He said at one point Bozo raced past him chasing one of the Darwin players, and caught him. When Fatty jogged past apparently Bozo said something like "There, that's how its done Fat".

I think I might have been at the game, I don’t remember the game looking like that, as I believe that I was on the opposite side of the ground from the grandstand, from where the footage was taken.

As I recall we used to take preseason games to Darwin for a few years in the mid-1980s and I was working up there in the 1980s.

I definitely remember seeing Bozo and Fatty playing in one game, can’t recall Igor though

I definitely remember seeing Bozo and Fatty playing in one game, can’t recall Igor though.
Played with the Steelers. In 1984 our trip away included a game at Alice Springs & also a game in Darwin.

The Steelers trip away in 1984 included a game in Alice Springs & Darwin.

Crap photo but it’s all I’ve got to prove I played.

Brian Smith barking orders, Rocket Reddy standing up & me getting my ankle strapped.

Attachments

• IMG_1582.jpeg
    IMG_1582.jpeg
    228.7 KB · Views: 42
Last edited:
From memory Stokes played well in a curtain raiser prior to the M-W vs GB game at Brookvale, in Jun 88.

Bozo liked the cut of his jib and he earned a contract at some point after that, debuting in FG in 1990 under Graham Lowe.

Sidebar: Manly played another game in the NT in the 1983 pre-season. Bozo also played in that game, possibly Randall as well, who had retired after the ‘82 GF.

From memory Stokes played well in a curtain raiser prior to the M-W vs GB game at Brookvale, in Jun 88.

Bozo liked the cut of his jib and he earned a contract at some point after that, debuting in FG in 1990 under Graham Lowe.

Sidebar: Manly played another game in the NT in the 1983 pre-season. Bozo also played in that game, possibly Randall as well, who had retired after the ‘82 GF.

I wonder if Bozo asked Igor to play hoping maybe to coax one more year out of him??

I wonder if Bozo asked Igor to play hoping maybe to coax one more year out of him??
Possibly. Although the narrative has long been that Randall was adamant he was retired after the ‘82 GF.

However yes, Fulton would have been crazy to not try changing Igor’s mind.

Possibly. Although the narrative has long been that Randall was adamant he was retired after the ‘82 GF.

However yes, Fulton would have been crazy to not try changing Igor’s mind.

Its not like Igor was old, even for then. At the start of 1983 he would have been only 32, but I get why he retired. Hard man of the 70s, tough tackler. He was a forward, not a pretty boy winger. Making 30 tackles and doing 15-20 hit ups a game for a dozen years doesn't do much for the body (and that's just first grade).

Recall that Frankie Stokes was originally playing as a 5 / 8 when he came to Manly in the lower grades and then made that impressive transition to the wing .
Always recall how well he combined with Kevin Iro in that unfortunate final"s loss to the Raiders in 91 .
Could certainly scoot at his best and not a bad positional winger . Think that he eventually returned to Darwin after his Many stint .
Just in regard to Igor, considering he played 11 straight years at a high level as a truly genuine hardman in the forwards, completely understandable why he decided to retire after that 82 G F against the Eels
Was playing a little ordinary and probably a bit busted towards the end of that season so as good a time as any to give the game away after an of course legendary career

Just in regard to Igor, considering he played 11 straight years at a high level as a truly genuine hardman in the forwards, completely understandable why he decided to retire after that 82 G F against the Eels
Was playing a little ordinary and probably a bit busted towards the end of that season so as good a time as any to give the game away after an of course legendary career
Had also slowed down a bit by 82 and been shifted into the front row.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
8 5 2 39 11
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 3 4 17 8
7 4 3 -8 8