Pre-Game Manly v Penrith [Round 24, 2023]

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
GAME ON! Head over to the Game Thread!

V

12 24
4 Pines Park
10 Aug 2023 07:50 PM

Team Lists

Status
Not open for further replies.
there is no proof of connection to manly but players injure themselves more under fatigue. That part is proven.

we are under the pump a lot, play without the ball for extended periods and our kicking game is not where it should be IMO

the riff control most of those aspects of the game pretty well.
chicken or egg, which comes first is up for debate but we suffer the same situation every year and dont seem to have had that much luck at this end of the season since the last glory days.

21 went ok , we had a fair few returning as the season ended maybe
going off memory. Not really a research man but it has to figure in there somewher

I'd put Keppie, Fainu, Bullemor (if you consider any of them a prop) in front of Aloiai.
Lodge has been here 2 seconds, you can't really place him top 3.
Paseka absolutely, he came along leaps and bounds.
Up against the Panthers middles, Paseka, Aloiai & Lodge are really big outs.

Edit: if available, they all would have been selected for this game.

Up against the Panthers middles, Paseka, Aloiai & Lodge are really big outs.

Mate, Aloiai is addition by subtraction. (Take away his disruptive cultural application to the team) - Let's look at say his last 7 odd games for us, hit up metre wise:

23 metres against sharks
77 metres against dolphins
59 metres against eels
79 metres against storm
114 metres against chooks :party:
85 metres against cowboys
62 metres against sharks
(average - 71 metres)

lets compare that to our competitors starting prop this coming game

95 metres against cowboys
105 metres against knights
74 metres against storm
125 metres against dolphins
100 metres against dogs
125 metres against sharks
181 metres against storm
(average - 115 metres)

BOG - AVERAGE. For the record guys - Marty averaged 142 metres per game for us. And people complained about him hahaha.

Mate, Aloiai is addition by subtraction. (Take away his disruptive cultural application to the team) - Let's look at say his last 7 odd games for us, hit up metre wise:

23 metres against sharks
59 metres against eels
79 metres against storm
62 metres against sharks
(average - 71 metres)

74 metres against storm
100 metres against dogs
181 metres against storm
(average - 115 metres)

BOG - AVERAGE. For the record guys - Marty averaged 142 metres per game for us. And people complained about him hahaha.
You can't always read to much into the metre stats, as a lot depends on minutes played also when on the field the opposition has most of the possession so you could be defending for a long period, just look at fullback mts, because they take most of the bombs and run the ball back, they can take 15 bombs and run at least 10mts, there's 150mts without doing anything spectacular.

Can Manly Win ?

Can Eagles Fly ?

If the toothless Tigers can win against the Panthers

Manly can Win as Well !
1691550429886.png

Something like that Mark .Not total razzle dazzle but very hopefully to cut down on that really totally negative and boring one out plays in particular and lack of set plays .
Actually the better sides just seem to be able to switch to a better open brand of footy without too much effort . Sure that quite a bit of it results from team continuity and no doubt subsequent confidence level and the better place sides have had a good run with injuries which does help no end
Been getting some good home crowds this season and credit to all concerned there so also ideally be good to provide some better quality and entertainment footy to whatever crowd numbers do turn up
Yeah not suggesting you abandon everything , but try the unexpected , kicking early when their fullback is in the line , spreading it on the 3rd tackle not the last.

Look it probably won’t work , but just turning up and trying your best with a normal game plan is set to fail regardless.

Interesting and disappointing he'd outright lie to the media and fans. Loved watching him shift from foot to foot when he was asked the pertinent question !
Honestly though , what’s he supposed to say

“ **** this we are just **** , our lazy arse players are absolute crap , not worth $2 let alone $200k , the ****ers should all be put on the scrap heap because they’re not just **** they’re ****ing **** “

Seriously , what do you expect him to say??

Yeah not suggesting you abandon everything , but try the unexpected , kicking early when their fullback is in the line , spreading it on the 3rd tackle not the last.

Look it probably won’t work , but just turning up and trying your best with a normal game plan is set to fail regardless.
Yep - come with a predictable 1 out style for 5 and then kick on last again, they will strangle us....need some "quality" offloads and 2nd phase play, not "desperate" offloads and need some earlier shifts and maybe a few cross field kicks for the like of Saab and Koula and just on that.....we were beaten in all the basic area's vs Chooks, but were a tad unlucky on at least 2 occasions when we put in kicks that took a Roosters kind bounce and could easily have been tries, this does not include the kick Saab was taken out by Teddy who should have been binned, when in actual fact, Saab should have passed inside to 3 unmarked men, including the flying Koula.

Yep - come with a predictable 1 out style for 5 and then kick on last again, they will strangle us....need some "quality" offloads and 2nd phase play, not "desperate" offloads and need some earlier shifts and maybe a few cross field kicks for the like of Saab and Koula and just on that.....we were beaten in all the basic area's vs Chooks, but were a tad unlucky on at least 2 occasions when we put in kicks that took a Roosters kind bounce and could easily have been tries, this does not include the kick Saab was taken out by Teddy who should have been binned, when in actual fact, Saab should have passed inside to 3 unmarked men, including the flying Koula.
I’m certainly not suggesting full on ad lib, they’d murder us.

BUT we just do the standard , first 3 up the middle , try something on 4, kick in the air on the 5th , and they’ll murder us anyway.

I’d rather get murdered trying a few things , than murdered by just being ****.

BUT we just do the standard , first 3 up the middle , try something on 4, kick in the air on the 5th , and they’ll murder us anyway.

possibly mark. i do get your drift about being terribly predictable and easily read

id prefer to lose more games if we were still in the contest until the 70 minute mark.
learning to win the NRL way has to begin sooner or later, resillience, patience, looking to fatigue the opposition.

learning the journey to success doesnt come by copying the losers

its just me

Been saying it all week. Massive boilover coming. Think about it. Panfers are despised by all and on a 6 game win streak, Matildas taking all the spotlight away from NRL/AFL, NRL refs/bunker looking like amateur fools. They need something to get the headlines back . Now unless we have the Battle of Brookie MK2 break out then they need positive media exposure and this is the only upset this weekend that would provide it at least for a day or 2.

And my gosh, we have to stop this 2nd pass from dummy half or a tap that has a plodding forward so far behind the advantage line that the defence smashes them before they even get anywhere near where the play started. For most of the game we are flat footed and easy prey. When we've played with players in motion we are so much more unpredictable. Teams like Penrith doing it all game and we do it a quarter of the game. I can't work out whether it's fitness, laziness or lack of coaching. but you're right Mark, if we bring the standard hit up crap, we will be slaughtered. They need to play up tempo and chips in behind to try and break up the defence. Stopping their attack is a whole other ball game tho.

23 metres against sharks
59 metres against eels
79 metres against storm
62 metres against sharks
(average - 71 metres)

74 metres against storm
100 metres against dogs
181 metres against storm
(average - 115 metres)

I only rate Paseka as a quality prop he is the only 1 in any of the top 15 for post contact metres he needs to up his metres per game though…but the rest are crap

Now unless we have the Battle of Brookie MK2 break out then they need positive media exposure and this is the only upset this weekend that would provide it at least for a day or 2.
Are you suggesting we need a:
Punch-out a Panther Performance?

possibly mark. i do get your drift about being terribly predictable and easily read

id prefer to lose more games if we were still in the contest until the 70 minute mark.
learning to win the NRL way has to begin sooner or later, resillience, patience, looking to fatigue the opposition.

learning the journey to success doesnt come by copying the losers

its just me
Very fair points too.

I’m not talking about adopting this process full time , just this game.

As I say I’d rather be flogged having a crack , than flogged playing “ predictable “ by a side that’s expert in every facet of the game.

And my gosh, we have to stop this 2nd pass from dummy half or a tap that has a plodding forward so far behind the advantage line that the defence smashes them before they even get anywhere near where the play started. For most of the game we are flat footed and easy prey. When we've played with players in motion we are so much more unpredictable. Teams like Penrith doing it all game and we do it a quarter of the game. I can't work out whether it's fitness, laziness or lack of coaching. but you're right Mark, if we bring the standard hit up crap, we will be slaughtered. They need to play up tempo and chips in behind to try and break up the defence. Stopping their attack is a whole other ball game tho.
Virtually impossible to stop their attack.

But rather than 56-4 wouldn’t it be great if they came , took us lightly , and we go out and play a crazy game that sees us lose 26-14, don’t know about you but I’d take that as a win.

They’ll be expecting that 1 out play , we don’t have a single forward left that’s good for an offload , so frighten the **** out of them and kick to SAAB’s corner on the 2nd tackle OR when their fullback is defending in the line , we chip it over and run through.

Much ( most ) won’t work , but wouldn’t it be crazy if some of it did , imagine the fright they’d get !!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
8 7 1 56 16
7 6 1 99 14
8 6 2 66 14
8 5 3 51 12
9 5 3 37 11
9 5 4 95 10
9 5 4 42 10
8 4 4 25 10