Post-Game Discussion Manly v Roosters [Round 2, 2024]

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Game Information

Sea Eagles
Vs
Roosters
21 4 Pines Park
17 Mar 2024 16:05
76:53 minute

Match Stats

I expected that. Tupou had about 170+ m himself in a team that hardly had the ball, and his game was pretty ordinary too.

Of course, I expect teams are often going to mark him up and blunt his impact, but his hands let him down a bit today. I know we scored that first try, but Turbo should have been taking that bomb and scoring himself. Dropped the ball a couple of times, threw an intercept, and also failed to defuse a fairly innocuous bomb to put pressure on the team at a crucial time. It was far from his best, which bodes well for us if we can win with both he and DCE having ordinary games.

Sure it wasn't his best game but 'awful' is a huge overstatement IMO. For a Round 2 match against good opposition I'd happily take that performance pretty much every day of the week over any other fullback in the competition.

For me it's reassuring that we had very good performances across the ground and we didn't have to rely on Tom to win it for us.

Ya gotta love game day threads… that was as good a performance as this team has put on in years in my opinion yet individual players have been smashed in the comments all game 🤣🤣🤣
I get it… I am stressed the f* ck out too but jeez you have to admire the way they have played the last 2 weeks… dare I say it, this looks like a red hot football side…
I couldn't watch the game and could only read the score and the ST Forum comments - now THAT'S stressful @:D. Can't wait to watch the full replay coz I've only seen the highlights. But if Aloaia's run from the kick off is anything to go by, it's the best I've seen him run for ages. I was worried about how our forwards would match the Rorters and looks like they were pretty awesome. It's not going to happen every week but they do seem meaner and fitter this year. Homework for this week should be centre/winger defence, particularly if Ray is coming in for Talau. Great signs for this year, though.

Have to give credit where it is due even though I'm not a huge fan of Robinson's interview style. But both he and Teddy didn't make a big deal of the Croker try and both indicated it would not have changed the result and they gave credit to Manly for controlling the game. I am extremely unhappy with the first half commentary of Alexander and Smith.

anyone else think it’s really stupid when players score and say ‘let’s go’? Dom Young trotted out the cliche yesterday after scoring. There’s a goal kick to be had and a walk back to halfway. Do they really think saying ‘let’s go’ is suddenly going to compel their team to victory? It’s up there with ‘yeah baby’ after scoring and ‘**** me’ after making a mistake. I often wondered if yelling ‘one set’ has ever been the catalyst for a team defending their line?

Anyway, full credit to the boys.

You can see the difference it makes to not have a complete arseclown like Dan Ferris in charge of performance. You can see the changes Jon Clarke has made are working already.
So true, to take the ball on the 4th all the way to within fg range and with only 9min to go in the game was awe inspiring to watch. Tommys final hit up made a clear path for DCE to hit it sweet for the goal.

Another great performance against another Top 4-8 side. Really impressed with our forwards who I thought hammered the more fancied Roosters pack. I said earlier in the year that Brooks will be the buy of the season and can only repeat that. What I really liked was that DCE and Tommy had "quietish" games by their high lofty standard but the rest of the team really stood up. Great job boys.

Have to give credit where it is due even though I'm not a huge fan of Robinson's interview style. But both he and Teddy didn't make a big deal of the Croker try and both indicated it would not have changed the result and they gave credit to Manly for controlling the game. I am extremely unhappy with the first half commentary of Alexander and Smith.
You should have watched Channel 9 instead.

You could have been forgiven for thinking it was a Roosters’ home game, with Gus, Adolf and Luann on task.

Last edited:
Maybe could have made better use of a few sets during the game but certainly a good brand of attack in general and just like the up tempo defence , really had the Rooster's measure and really pressured them for a good part of the game .
Almost seemed a bit surreal when , was it May or Whyte strolled through some almost non existent Manly mid field defence in the latter stages but both pretty robust types and probably not Manly "s best mid field grouping at the time .
Still recovered well and to largely contain a well credentialed Roosters line up for the entire match so just credit all round of course .
Probably the best game from Paseka but he has generally gone well for a couple of seasons now and jus to another level yesterday .
Jake a fantastic effort taking into account he played the full 80 . Haumole , some serious impact again and against a good noted defensive side .
Sure that D C E and Turbo can be a bit more influential ongoing , Brooksy really good again [ dangerous runner on the last two game "s indication ] Koula and Garrick , top games [ great effort by Garrick on Young in retrospect ] Wingers competed well , Alioai and Brown strong efforts , thought that Lawton played his role well
Great if they can keep the winning momentum going , no reason why they can not on yesterday"s performance

Tom also copped a check from a roosters player as he approached, which knocked him off his original line.

But yes if you jump onto a player who beat you to that spot, that's not the same thing as making contact during your run...

Yep he was run off the ball by Radley.

Sure it wasn't his best game but 'awful' is a huge overstatement IMO. For a Round 2 match against good opposition I'd happily take that performance pretty much every day of the week over any other fullback in the competition.

For me it's reassuring that we had very good performances across the ground and we didn't have to rely on Tom to win it for us.
Agree. "Awful" was a bit hyperbolic. I think I was frustrated that we were dominating the chooks, and yet not putting them away as quickly or as easily as we could have.

Defending the short kick off was a highlight. 90 percent of Times we lose it.
Wish we had Dom Young, he is a weapon and always troubles us.

IMG_6288.jpeg

Better late than never but:

From Post #1

FULL TIME SCORE

Manly: 21
Roosters: 14

431985436_1004728971085351_3529073274643945840_n.jpg

Pic: Manly Warringah Sea Eagles Facebook Page

432066455_1004759704415611_4764958524833251236_n.jpg

Pic: Manly Warringah Sea Eagles Facebook Page

Team Victory Song:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

We are the Manly boys,
We had a win today,
We are the boys you know of
We showed them how to play,
No matter where we’ll be
Maroon and White you'll see,
Oh aren’t we a wonderful credit
To our locality,
So cheer boys cheer,
We are together,
Every now and then we have a win…..have a win
We will play them all around
At our home or any ground,
If they’ll always play a fair and honest game
So it’s GUZZLE GUZZLE GUZZLE
As we pour it down our muzzle,
And sing out the order loud and clear, 'MORE BEER',
And we will drink all night
Until we are very tired
In the shade of the Manly Leagues Club.

Pressers:

Post Match Interviews:

Match Report:

Game Stats Review:

Match Highlights:

Extended Match Highlights:

Full Match Replay Link:

Manly Tries:

Game Pics & Video Clips:

Press Print & Video Articles:

Sea Eagles colours supercharge Brooks’ game

Sea Eagles Judiciary News:
  • No Manly players were placed on report during the game.
  • No Manly players were charged post-match by the Match Review Committee.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
8 5 2 39 11
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 3 4 17 8