Post-Game Discussion Manly v Sharks [Round 11, 2023]

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Game Information

Sea Eagles
Vs
Sharks
14 4 Pines Park
14 May 2023 16:05
80:00 minute

Match Stats

Hi just checking in to circle back on my pre-game attitude/comment. As stated, expected nothing, got nothing and was still dissapointed. Care factor for this Sunday: nil.

Certainly struggle against the better or being able to stay with the well drilled and more agile sides . Almost a chronic situation with the i st half trend of having limited possession and coming up short in defence and negligible pressure on the opposition when they do have the ball . Did not improve that much really in the 2 nd half with some pedestrian attack even when they did have some more possession . Comeback of sorts but way too late again Big problem again some of the side maybe playing to near their best ability , rest just not up to it or meeting that requirement . Only solace , D C E playing some of his best footy , Paseka again showing that he can be a real force , Haumole heavily marked and the Sharks defence was fairly tenacious . Koula going well enough when he gets some opportunity , Bully and Burbo putting in when there are on . Parker some good defensive reads , not his best day in attack . Maybe Bully to 13 , Burbo 2 nd row , Fainu on the bench , Gordie at least on the bench , Lawton loose bench forward , too much tunnel vison at 9 sometimes . Hope the Shu is ready to go next week, really good last ditch tackle by Johns but need more in attack there even if it means giving Weekes another go .

Hi just checking in to circle back on my pre-game attitude/comment. As stated, expected nothing, got nothing and was still dissapointed. Care factor for this Sunday: nil.
I was at the game
The sharks played like they wanted to win it more for their coach than we did
They played with a higher intensity
Listening to the radio on the way home the commentators said that the Sharks defence was moving quicker than our attack . That would not be hard to do when we have a player like Woods plodding along and taking the ball up

I was at the game and the only highlight from the day was getting my picture taken with Cliffy Lyons. The game again was hard to watch but I managed to laugh my way through at how bad Manly is. I ended up leaving 15 minutes early and went back to the club. 👍

I missed the first 20 minutes so saw:

20 minutes of us starved of possession & the Sharks doing whatever they wanted
20 minutes of us defending valiantly
20 minutes of us holding onto the ball & the Sharks fatiguing

Overall it was encouraging to see us fighting back to stay in the game but having not seen the first quarter of the game I obviously missed the most disappointing quarter.

I was at the game and the only highlight from the day was getting my picture taken with Cliffy Lyons. The game again was hard to watch but I managed to laugh my way through at how bad Manly is. I ended up leaving 15 minutes early and went back to the club. 👍
I saw our Legendary premiership winning Hero Cliffy too .
Every ones eyes light up when they see Cliffy . He is definitely a Manly crowd favorite

I was at the game
The sharks played like they wanted to win it more for their coach than we did
They played with a higher intensity
Listening to the radio on the way home the commentators said that the Sharks defence was moving quicker than our attack . That would not be hard to do when we have a player like Woods plodding along and taking the ball up
100% correct Bozo. Put simply, they wanted it more. Nothing more nothing less. They weren't/aren't more talented than us. They aren't bigger or faster. They just played harder for their coach, club and teammates. Why can't we do the same every week. We did it against Storm - so why not every week. That falls on the coach IMO.

100% correct Bozo. Put simply, they wanted it more. Nothing more nothing less. They weren't/aren't more talented than us. They aren't bigger or faster. They just played harder for their coach, club and teammates. Why can't we do the same every week. We did it against Storm - so why not every week. That falls on the coach IMO.
Mate our Golden Eagles wanted the win more than our team as well

The Golden eagles marched to the ground with their Manly flags and were pumped up for a Manly win to make them proud

All of our Passionate Manly supporters that filled the ground were pumped up for the win

In the end we all left the ground deflated after another consecutive poor Manly performance

Great post. But I’d say coaches. We also have Flanagan and Dymock in with lost at Siebold

The last bomb was a disgrace! Only Tom near it.
I completely agree. And there was even less excuse, given it was off a penalty re-start. It wasn't like a last tackle kick where DCE has less time to think and greater pressure.

I don't wanna kick DCE because he is certainly playing with a lot more heart than most and he is showing passages of really good footy. He needs help though from others. His attacking bombs are generally really poor, and how can that be, when we have Turbo, Saab and Guac in our team. We should be nailing attacking bombs with those guys. It should be drilled into them by now and we should be scoring regularly from it.

Bloody hell. Now I’m going to have to watch the presser. I need to see what someone looks like who’s had a stint in the local library @:D
Actually wombat, it was Seibold talking to the ch9 commentators before the game just outside the side lines. He looked resplendent in casual pants, shirt and cardigan, hardly inspiring walking into the players sheds. Maybe he had a late Mothers day lunch.

I don’t think a yardage kick needs to be telegraphed. The other 12 players see the ball sail 50m down field and all they need to do is run in the direction the ball has been kicked. The lack of effort from everyone is the problem.
I dont think the current reaction time of the squad is where it should be, but being more aware, informed, or planned can only help reaction time for a better outcome. Just makes a little sense

our kick game is pretty routine with routine being the problem
kick from behind the line
mid field bomb
most offside
have to stay within 10
player gets head of steam, allows to choose impact, isolate defenders to help next play
repeat

this also impacts the teams ability to move as a speedy cohesive line. Just routine average expectation , mostly with a defensive outlook

our kick chase game is woeful and has been under consecutive coaches. Under barret it was an plan to find the line at all costs often sacrificing 40 m as we had such issues defending our kicks

just some other observations that i see relevant

As Cronk stated, worst left edge defence in the competition. Fail to fix this then bottom 4 is where we deserve to be.

I dont think the current reaction time of the squad is where it should be, but being more aware, informed, or planned can only help reaction time for a better outcome. Just makes a little sense

our kick game is pretty routine with routine being the problem
kick from behind the line
mid field bomb
most offside
have to stay within 10
player gets head of steam, allows to choose impact, isolate defenders to help next play
repeat

this also impacts the teams ability to move as a speedy cohesive line. Just routine average expectation , mostly with a defensive outlook

our kick chase game is woeful and has been under consecutive coaches. Under barret it was an plan to find the line at all costs often sacrificing 40 m as we had such issues defending our kicks

just some other observations that i see relevant

Agree on all this and as we are making poor yardage from our own end the kicks are sometimes from half way or the 40 so hard to get any pressure on the catcher. How good would it be to have AFB to partner Paseka. 😞

wouldn't have changed much but it'd be interesting to know what the ref is looking at when twice Ramien (after a sharks bomb) ran up then simply jumped up into the air, turned his back and basically landed on the Manly guy trying to catch the ball.

then the last kick of the game someone ran sideways to knock a chasing tom off his line.

But the Ramien ones...c'mon refs...

(Even the commentators picked it up. - maybe you guys did as well but I'm not going through the game day thread).

As Cronk stated, worst left edge defence in the competition.
But, but… that makes us a perfectly balanced side. We also have the worst right edge in the competition. It might be a bummer for us fans, but at least it's a win for symmetry!

wouldn't have changed much but it'd be interesting to know what the ref is looking at when twice Ramien (after a sharks bomb) ran up then simply jumped up into the air, turned his back and basically landed on the Manly guy trying to catch the ball.

then the last kick of the game someone ran sideways to knock a chasing tom off his line.

But the Ramien ones...c'mon refs...

(Even the commentators picked it up. - maybe you guys did as well but I'm not going through the game day thread).
Somebody obviously had a word to Klein about it during the half-time break, because he did pick up Ramien for doing exactly the same thing late in game, when it was all over bar the shouting.

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8
7 3 3 20 7
7 3 4 31 6