Post-Game Discussion Manly v Storm [Round 7, 2023]

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Game Information

Sea Eagles
Vs
Storm
18 4 Pines Park
14 Apr 2023 20:00
78:07 minute

Match Stats

Dce noticed that Munster was in the line and kicked for Tom’s try and Saab at the end.

I can’t believe this was possible without the sheer genius of Carrigan. Carrigan just invented this play last week of course.

Apologies in advance if someone else has mentioned this, but the biggest surprise last night was about ten minutes post game, when I think I saw Tony Mestrov walk across the field from in front of the Bozo Stand with Gifty Stewart and wait for it......

Choc!!!
Looking for Adam Blair no doubt

The best performance imo in years, particularly that first 15mins, and despite attack getting fairly clunky as the game went on, the effort never waned.

For a moment there, I thought the players had swapped jerseys. It was Manly completing sets, controlling field position, applying kick chase pressure and consistent line speed, etc.

DCE had a fine game, taking the line on, capitalising on opportunities, great short, high, and long kicking, and marshalled that RHS defence into an effective unit. A real captain's knock.

Turbo's kick returns and acceleration off the mark very refreshing to see again (butter fingers will need to go though!)

Harper and Parker changing lines, and adding footwork to compensate for their athletic disadvantages, becoming evasive and ultra competitive suddenly.

That middle third was a total domination from out guys, led by Jake as always. Highly impressive from our middles, and I suggest that wet/slippery conditions will actually benefit us this season, as we keep the fight in the middle.

Saab would have to be the most improved player in our squad. Jeez he was impressive. If he stays grounded and focused, could become one of the best wingers in the comp.

By far the best thing was the bruising hits from all our boys! Front loading our energy to get on top early seems to be the blueprint going forward. Overwhelm them with physicality early, take advantage on the scoreboard (we will need to become more effective at this as the season progresses), and ride out momentum swings by playing simple after that (our fitness levels will be tested, but they are showing this is well within their capabilities).

If these guys play with this level of effort, desire, and intensity week in and out, win or lose, that is success. Extremely proud (didn't think they had it in them). KEEP IT UP BOYS!

Last edited:
Apologies in advance if someone else has mentioned this, but the biggest surprise last night was about ten minutes post game, when I think I saw Tony Mestrov walk across the field from in front of the Bozo Stand with Gifty Stewart and wait for it......

Choc!!!
Thought I saw somewhere that Choc has been helping with our juniour development squad. Not certain about that though.

Impressive display all round. Consistency is the key now.

The Manly of the Barrett era would follow a game like that up with a loss to the Tigers. Lets hope that crap is behind us now.

So far we have played 4 of the top 5 teams from last year, and really were outplayed in only 1 of those games last week. We should see out the round in the top-8.

Top 10 things that stood out for me:
  1. There were no really poor individual all-round performances. Well done. Across the board we were a better team than the Storm tonight, and while the Storm were off their game it was our unrelenting pressure that forced them into their shell - rarely does that happen to the Storm - they were a bit rattled.
  2. Many people saying attack was clunky. It wasn't perfect, but with 2 tries disallowed (and Melb not even looking like scoring again after their 1st try), would people have a different view if it was 30-8 at the end? Attack isn't all about tries - 5 line drop-outs inflicted, dominant field-position most of the game (including when a man down), outstanding kicking game, superior hustle and pressure, and don't understate the Storm's goaline def - it was very good, better than most teams would be. We also attacked with our Def tonight which was the most pleasing.
  3. Contrary to popular belief, Harper had a good game tonight - the mongrel returned. He wasn't perfect, but it was a career-lifeline game for him I think, showing he still has something to offerm even against the big teams - and it was a statement being it was against the very team that arguably melted his brain and put him into the reserves after the '21 finals - the game where Olam ate his soul. Credit where its due. If he plays the game against Cronulla and muscles up to Talakai his purgatory could be overcome?
  4. On the topic of Harper, what was done to xavier coates tonight was akin to what Melb did to Harper in that '21 semi. He was monstered, every touch he was smashed. Ragdolled on hitups. Add to that the confidence rattling smashing of Olam, and the general potency of the Melb backline looked pedestrian. Munster at fullback left them short a playmaker, and DCE's chip at the start for Turbo's try was brilliance - putting Munster in two-minds early on his positional Def. And Hughes was as a result under pressure to do it all, and went MIA.
  5. Saab was one to watch - showed some serious footy instinct I didn't think he had, and with his increase in bulk as well he could really turn into a handful. Last week hopefully just an abberation and clearing cobwebs after a serious layoff.
  6. Who still thinks Croker is an easily replaceable fill-in? If he hasn't shown you his value to the team by now then I don't know what you are watching. I'm not even talking about him as 9 here, just highlighting his value to the team, when he was off the park and Weekes was on it was noticeable.
  7. DCE had close to the best game as a captain you could ask for. I'm talking across any club here.
  8. We dominated every statistic of note (Attk/Def) - a week after the most lopsided statistics against us I had ever seen against the Panthers. Shows a lot of tenacity and a great attitude check to bounce back like we did.
  9. Jake's worth every cent.
  10. Most importantly, all this came down to the pack. The forwards FINALLY played as a proper hunting pack in this game. Sipley should keep his spot after that performance, Bullemore is continually improving, Tent is emerging as a class prop, THAT is the Aloiai I can get behind. And Guoc is becoming our beast mode. They play with that intent and intensity each week and no-one will want to play us - just like the Manly of 10-15 years ago.
That is my top 10, and its encouraging that even without our best team on the park that we can pull this type of performance off. Now to back it up.

We'll be down Tuilagi next game which is a shame (against his old club, I expected a big one from him), meaning we are down 3 x 2nd-rowers for the Tigers now (Lawton/Burbo/Kelma). Should see Bullemore in the run-on? Also RTV on the wing put in a great showing, shame he'll miss a couple for his bump but I expect we'll have Garrick back for that one - but having RTV as a backup as the season unfolds is reassuring.

I have seen young Gordon walking around with a decent camera at all home games this year. I’m assuming these shots are taken by him.
Whilst he looks very similar to Gordie, it’s actually Alfred Naupoto, who takes care of the videography and some of the content you see on socials etc at the club.

He’s done a really, really good job with lifting the standard of social media content this year!

14 missed tackles…that is where it starts and ends on Friday night.

Absolutely outstanding effort defensively against a high quality team in the Storm. Compared to 42 missed tackles against Penrith, it shows what the team are capable of.

It also shows that you need to turn up with the right mindset, energy and intensity each week if you want to be a contending team in this competition.

Whilst he looks very similar to Gordie, it’s actually Alfred Naupoto, who takes care of the videography and some of the content you see on socials etc at the club.

He’s done a really, really good job with lifting the standard of social media content this year!
Really far out they could be twins.

Impressive display all round. Consistency is the key now.

The Manly of the Barrett era would follow a game like that up with a loss to the Tigers. Lets hope that crap is behind us now.

So far we have played 4 of the top 5 teams from last year, and really were outplayed in only 1 of those games last week. We should see out the round in the top-8.

Top 10 things that stood out for me:
  1. There were no really poor individual all-round performances. Well done. Across the board we were a better team than the Storm tonight, and while the Storm were off their game it was our unrelenting pressure that forced them into their shell - rarely does that happen to the Storm - they were a bit rattled.
  2. Many people saying attack was clunky. It wasn't perfect, but with 2 tries disallowed (and Melb not even looking like scoring again after their 1st try), would people have a different view if it was 30-8 at the end? Attack isn't all about tries - 5 line drop-outs inflicted, dominant field-position most of the game (including when a man down), outstanding kicking game, superior hustle and pressure, and don't understate the Storm's goaline def - it was very good, better than most teams would be. We also attacked with our Def tonight which was the most pleasing.
  3. Contrary to popular belief, Harper had a good game tonight - the mongrel returned. He wasn't perfect, but it was a career-lifeline game for him I think, showing he still has something to offerm even against the big teams - and it was a statement being it was against the very team that arguably melted his brain and put him into the reserves after the '21 finals - the game where Olam ate his soul. Credit where its due. If he plays the game against Cronulla and muscles up to Talakai his purgatory could be overcome?
  4. On the topic of Harper, what was done to xavier coates tonight was akin to what Melb did to Harper in that '21 semi. He was monstered, every touch he was smashed. Ragdolled on hitups. Add to that the confidence rattling smashing of Olam, and the general potency of the Melb backline looked pedestrian. Munster at fullback left them short a playmaker, and DCE's chip at the start for Turbo's try was brilliance - putting Munster in two-minds early on his positional Def. And Hughes was as a result under pressure to do it all, and went MIA.
  5. Saab was one to watch - showed some serious footy instinct I didn't think he had, and with his increase in bulk as well he could really turn into a handful. Last week hopefully just an abberation and clearing cobwebs after a serious layoff.
  6. Who still thinks Croker is an easily replaceable fill-in? If he hasn't shown you his value to the team by now then I don't know what you are watching. I'm not even talking about him as 9 here, just highlighting his value to the team, when he was off the park and Weekes was on it was noticeable.
  7. DCE had close to the best game as a captain you could ask for. I'm talking across any club here.
  8. We dominated every statistic of note (Attk/Def) - a week after the most lopsided statistics against us I had ever seen against the Panthers. Shows a lot of tenacity and a great attitude check to bounce back like we did.
  9. Jake's worth every cent.
  10. Most importantly, all this came down to the pack. The forwards FINALLY played as a proper hunting pack in this game. Sipley should keep his spot after that performance, Bullemore is continually improving, Tent is emerging as a class prop, THAT is the Aloiai I can get behind. And Guoc is becoming our beast mode. They play with that intent and intensity each week and no-one will want to play us - just like the Manly of 10-15 years ago.
That is my top 10, and its encouraging that even without our best team on the park that we can pull this type of performance off. Now to back it up.

We'll be down Tuilagi next game which is a shame (against his old club, I expected a big one from him), meaning we are down 3 x 2nd-rowers for the Tigers now (Lawton/Burbo/Kelma). Should see Bullemore in the run-on? Also RTV on the wing put in a great showing, shame he'll miss a couple for his bump but I expect we'll have Garrick back for that one - but having RTV as a backup as the season unfolds is reassuring.
Another excellent summation, thanks.
The only thing I'd add is that I think it was no coincidence we played like that at home, I think there is a real focus from Seibold on making Brookie a fortress again.
Dogs Eels and Storm are always 3 pretty good scalps for Manly and I reckon there'll be more to come.

Staff online

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 99 14
8 6 2 66 14
7 6 1 54 14
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
7 4 3 49 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 3 4 17 8
8 4 4 -14 8
8 4 4 -16 8