Manly Warringah history question.

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Hi all, I hope that you can help with this.
A good friend of mine and fellow Manly supporter sent me this message
"Kev do you know of any book or books on the history of the club? I read somewhere that it started in the 30's as a surf club playing other sides in the area became Manly Warringah and in 1947 was registered in the NSWRL and adopted the sea eagle logo"
I thought that I could find the answer here.
I hope this post is in the right forum, but I'm sure all the answers are here.
Thanks for your help.
Kevin.

And this is what it looks like. Published in 1991, covering Club history until the end of the 1990 season:
DDE5F2F7-6150-420A-834C-0DCFC00A4C46.jpeg

0D31C876-804A-4AD8-95B3-D97297293E87.jpeg

At the time, you had to order it directly from the Club.

Hi all, I hope that you can help with this.
A good friend of mine and fellow Manly supporter sent me this message
"Kev do you know of any book or books on the history of the club? I read somewhere that it started in the 30's as a surf club playing other sides in the area became Manly Warringah and in 1947 was registered in the NSWRL and adopted the sea eagle logo"
I thought that I could find the answer here.
I hope this post is in the right forum, but I'm sure all the answers are here.
Thanks for your help.
Kevin.
Manly entered the Presidents Cup in 1932 and adopted maroon jersey with white collar. These are the same colours as Freshwater SLSC, but that seems to just be coincidence. More likely it was choice made as the maroon colour was available as Glebe were kicked out in 1929 or because it was the Manly Juniors colours in the A Grade comp.

Rugby League finally came to Manly and the peninsula in 1932 when a Manly and Warringah Junior League was established under the senior district club - North Sydney. The initial A Grade teams were North Curl Curl, Harbord, Manly Juniors (maroon with white V), Brookvale (maroon and gold) and Narrabeen. Use of grounds of reasonable standard was difficult, especially as Manly Council denied the use of Manly Oval. The Council though had no issue with the Manly rugby union club's use of the ground. Meanwhile, Warringah Council with its very limited resources was bending over backwards to assist the new sport and provided the Junior League with an enclosed ground - Brookvale Showground.

The formation of the Manly-Warringah Junior League afforded the area with its first representative team in the NSWRL's Presidents Cup state knockout competition for U'18 players.

... 1947 ...
Manly immediately adopted the maroon and white colours they had used for their Presidents Cup team since its inception. They chose for an emblem the sea eagle - the native bird of prey of the Sydney coastline. The use of emblems on jerseys and as a marketing tool was way in the future, and a number of media writers simply referred to Manly as the "sea gulls". However, while they never raised an objection to being called sea gulls (emphasising how much of a non-issue emblems/marketing names were at the time) the club maintains that it has always officially been the Sea Eagles since their first day.

In the RL News in April 1948: The club has adopted the Red-Backed Sea Eagle as the design for their club emblem. It is hoped to have badges available for club supporters shortly.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 99 14
7 6 1 54 14
7 5 2 36 12
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
7 4 3 49 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 3 4 17 8
8 4 4 -14 8