Manly's 2024 surprise packet

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Lawman back in form
Aioli angry at the right dudes
AoA has been dissapointing I must say , not sure if that’s due to injury or attitude.

He really needs to step up this year , particularly on this first 5-6 rounds when we are a few short.

The title is “ surprise packet” so that’s not an existing player who just does better.

Disagree, I take suprise packet to be someone who unexpectedly exceeds expectations.

For example if Woods came out and averaged 150m a game, 30 tackles, 3 offloads and 4 tackle busts, then that would be surprising.

On the flip side, Humphreys has had a highly touted off season, if he debuts and plays 15 games at 14 I don't really see that as surprising.....now if he unseated Croker then sure

Just a rough guess for the sake of conversation.
Nathan Brown....he was surprisingly acknowledged as one of the best trainers in the off season and I think this is a reflection of the realisation that 2024 is now or never year. Coming off the bench to play lock will allow Jake to move up front so hopefully we won't loose to much momentum when the frontrowers are subbed.

I went for Burbo in the end, but a couple of (very) unheralded types who could become surprise packets are Lawton and Waddell.
Both have made our round 1 side, so if they perform... who knows?
Both seasoned NRL players now, and after various disappointments in recent years I can imagine they're both highly motivated to be part of this Manly side, which is shaping as a likely contender this year.

Brooksy gun player now at a club where the pressure is off him he will thrive with our speed outwide and dce and turbo taking opposition defences away from him!

I think head and shoulders suprise packet's will be Brooks in a decent team with some flashy backs around him and Ben Trjobovic, who debuted 2021 and only now has grown into his body, doing everything a bit more physically with his input.
Humphries is the other, who may well have leapfrogged Gordie as a bench chance as the season rolls on.

Reckon that Parker could go quite well on an edge once his match fitness returns and if the opportunity presents .
Shu and Burbo would be rated ahead of him now and more then likely to stay that way but with his competitive outlook , Parker could push for a spot there at different stages .
Waddell may do better then the past couple of seasons else where and on his return now ,

I probably didn't realise just how well the young fullback Hodgson played in the trial, as was more watching in dissappontment at a forward pack consisting of apparent 1st graders getting dominated by the Bronco's Qld Cup players.
In fact the Manly fullback made 230 metres and over 100 post contact which is better through the tackle than blokes twice his size....I don't see Superstar, but any player with a big heart like this bloke obviously has, is a reliable fillin when needed.....I'm adding him as a SOO fill in

Lehi Hoppa, good athletic build, if injuries strike in the backline he may well get a chance later on in the season.

I probably didn't realise just how well the young fullback Hodgson played in the trial, as was more watching in dissappontment at a forward pack consisting of apparent 1st graders getting dominated by the Bronco's Qld Cup players.
In fact the Manly fullback made 230 metres and over 100 post contact which is better through the tackle than blokes twice his size....I don't see Superstar, but any player with a big heart like this bloke obviously has, is a reliable fillin when needed.....I'm adding him as a SOO fill in
Mentioned previously just a pity that he was not able to get into a bit of space or some more room to move when he tried to inject himself in attack
Seems not too bad on his feet and keen competitor , safe under the high ball . Did not pay that much attention to his defence but probably adequate enough .
Not too sure what his squad status is , just know that Seibs has a fair rating on him and should get plenty of encouragement to build on his game as the season progresses with Blacktown

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 99 14
7 6 1 54 14
7 5 2 36 12
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
7 4 3 49 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 3 4 17 8
8 4 4 -14 8