Manlys best ever tackler

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
I'm not going to comment on players i didn't see

Pound for pound Hasler was the best I've seen

Jake is incredible but then you also have players like Matai who can poleaxe anyone, he's got more hits than Greg Inglis on his wife

I disagree. Randall was a brutal tackler, probably the best at hurting opposition players.
But, having watched Manly for 55 years, imo the three best tacklers from a techniques perspective (ie. bootlace) were:
Ian Martin
Alan Thompson, and
Beaver
Sadly, today's tacklers are taught to wrap up the ball so copybook bootlace tacklers are rare.

Spot on Ian martin was incredibly tough.

Ronnie 'Rambo' Gibbs was no slouch in the tackling dept either.

Last edited:
I disagree. Randall was a brutal tackler, probably the best at hurting opposition players.
But, having watched Manly for 55 years, imo the three best tacklers from a techniques perspective (ie. bootlace) were:
Ian Martin
Alan Thompson, and
Beaver
Sadly, today's tacklers are taught to wrap up the ball so copybook bootlace tacklers are rare.

I agree with that and have also been watching Manly for 55 years and I would add Alec Tennant who was a blockbusting centre and hit like Steve Matai, to that list
... but Randall was awesome .... Ron Gibbs also

G'day all, I still rate a tackle by Terry Randall on big Bob O'Reilly at the old Sydney Sports Ground as the best i've seen.Perfect timing ,perfect technique,perfectly legal and they carried "The Bear"off on a stretcher.
As far as timing and technique in tackling go the great Beaver was right up there and also a guy called Allan Thomson who older posters may remember who was a tough second rower for us in the late 60's early 70's era.
cheers mike

Randall, beaver, Gibbs, jake, tooves.

Honorable mentions to Glenn Ryan, Fred Teasdale and ... Fatty

Kerry bousted had a great technique too.

I have a nostalgic tear in my eye - was there, smelt the blood and cheered Manly on :inlove:

I loved the the way the game was played back then as a young fibro was at that ground many a time trying to run and get that cardboard corner post at the end of the game
Was born on the darkside but soon realised Manly was my team
oh back on subject Randall best defender of all time

Igor

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    28.1 KB · Views: 8
Randall by a country mile.

I had to laugh at the media rapping the Chooks player last week. Randall played 200 matches exactly like that.

As good as Matai, Gillespie and Roberts were, their 3 or 4 good hits a match was nothing compared to the 30 classic tackles Igor done per match.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4