Manly's spine is not good enough

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Quite the opposite indeed. You're bagging Des.

And bagging Schu? You may be underestimating the character or intelligence of the young bloke if you really think he is that big-headed.

I can't say I share your concerns about Schu being so unhappy with his alleged poor treatment that he escapes to greener pastures. However if you are right, he can head off and rub Des's nose in it, and no doubt take a few of his mates who will probably also be deeply offended by his poor treatment.

Although I think it's more likely you are just slightly impatient in this case - let's see how the kid and the team is going this time next year, my prediction is we'll both be pretty happy.

If you read my posts SER8 you will see I rarely have criticised Des. I was concerned early in the year and late last year but I always considered him a top coach and stated that, though I admit at one stage I feared he was losing his mojo, especially after his last year at the Dogs and what was happening last year at Manly. Of course his return to the magic of his skill this year also had a great deal to do with the performances of Turbo and DCE, but he obviously got back on track.

But mate, its important to accept that none of us are perfect and we all have our foibles. Des is not God. He makes mistakes. As such it is quite reasonable to state that in some areas he can be vulnerable to making what doesn't seem the best option. That is not bagging, that is indicating an alternative perspective, which is common sense behaviour. I make mistakes and I indicate it regularly on this forum. I accept that because I am human, not a robot and my viewpoint is always just my personal perspective.

But one of the things I do a lot is read people. I'm reading you now. In the jobs I did as a manager of a house full of street teens, a parole officer and union head over four decades, it was imperative otherwise I would not have survived. I had to have a sense of what others were feeling. What I am reading is not what I personally want, it is what I'm trying to understand of Des's and Schuster's perspectives, and trying to place myself in their position. Impossible to do completely but possible to get some sense from what people do, write and say as to their thinking and feeling. We all do it of course but its a question of degree. For example in some respects I can sense I annoy you and you think I'm full of it. I accept that. Not hard to sense and perhaps your feelings are in part justified. You'll deny it of course but it comes across regularly in how you respond. I'm doing the same with Schuster. He's shy, perhaps too shy to speak up (that's actually reported) , he's obviously loyal, he'll do what he feels is right for now, but I sense he's already becoming restless. How? How would you feel being king of the pack and then feeling you are no longer centre of attention and no longer able to do the things you know you have a gift for. Not hard to understand is it? They are not robots and are young men just like we were with the same needs. Normal human behaviour. He probably wont even admit it to himself at this stage but I can sense its developing.

So SER8, that is why I am writing that I feel Des is making an error about Schuster. I may be wrong (I'm also not God...well not quite, snicker snicker) but I don't think so, based on what I am reading. Remember his agent last year raised this elephant in the room. It hasn't gone away. And if we lose him, it will make the Americans re-electing Trump to the Presidency in 2024-5, just an unfortunate mistake in comparison....well maybe not. Yep that's just my opinion

For example in some respects I can sense I annoy you and you think I'm full of it. I accept that. Not hard to sense and perhaps your feelings are in part justified. You'll deny it of course
That's quite clever, I guess if I do deny it you are proved right, and if I don't deny it you are proved right! Is that a bit like the old medieval test for witches, toss them in the lake and if they don't drown it proves they are a witch ...so we'll burn them!

Anyhow I can say we have a few amateur psychologists on this site, none more interesting than yourself :)
As for Schu, "if you read my posts" (does that sound a bit condescending!?) you'll see I acknowledged you may be right, although personally I think he'll be fine right here at Manly for a good long time.

We'll just have to watch it all unfold. I'll enjoy watching it and I hope you do too!

That's quite clever, I guess if I do deny it you are proved right, and if I don't deny it you are proved right! Is that a bit like the old medieval test for witches, toss them in the lake and if they don't drown it proves they are a witch ...so we'll burn them!

Anyhow I can say we have a few amateur psychologists on this site, none more interesting than yourself :)
As for Schu, "if you read my posts" (does that sound a bit condescending!?) you'll see I acknowledged you may be right, although personally I think he'll be fine right here at Manly for a good long time.

We'll just have to watch it all unfold. I'll enjoy watching it and I hope you do too!

In answer to your other point SER8, I do actually have some university psychological training as well as in service training. Earlier I was also trained in marketing. Not a qualified psychologist, but not untutored in that area and I would suggest on the job experience may actually count for something don't you think?

Not a qualified psychologist, but not untutored in that area and I would suggest on the job experience may actually count for something don't you think?
Of course everyone's experiences play a big part in how we judge people. Would I be more accepting of your analyses if you said you were a qualified psychologist? Nope! I'd still judge your opinions based on what they are and what evidence you cite in support of them.

Fyi I have met some psychologists who I can only assume bought their qualifications in some dodgy online transaction. Very unimpressive.

Bit like I heard Paul Kent say on TV last nite, Of course doctors can have their integrity questioned!
Not that I ever question yours, i'm simply making the point that a professional qualification and oaths of allegiance to blahdy blah don't guarantee you'll get a sensible or correct professional opinion. And its certainly the same with lay people. Wouldn't you agree?

Of course everyone's experiences play a big part in how we judge people. Would I be more accepting of your analyses if you said you were a qualified psychologist? Nope! I'd still judge your opinions based on what they are and what evidence you cite in support of them.

Fyi I have met some psychologists who I can only assume bought their qualifications in some dodgy online transaction. Very unimpressive.

Bit like I heard Paul Kent say on TV last nite, Of course doctors can have their integrity questioned!
Not that I ever question yours, i'm simply making the point that a professional qualification and oaths of allegiance to blahdy blah don't guarantee you'll get a sensible or correct professional opinion. And its certainly the same with lay people. Wouldn't you agree?

I agree SER8. Much depends on the experience of the psychologist but then like counsellors they are dealing with the people in isolation so they are only getting their perspective, and that is always biased to fit their story. Human nature. The role I played was quite different though it included elements of those skills. Our role, besides behaviour modification, was to learn as much practically of a person as you would know of your best friend. Family, education, employment, medical/psychological issues, friends, financial affairs, addictions, leisure interests, general attitudes. But unlike a psych/counsellor we then interviewed significant others, such as family , employers, teachers, doctors, psychologists etc depending up the relevance to get a broader picture. Makes you pretty pragmatic.

I'm not going to even try to explain why I see things the way I do, other than when you are dealing with literally many thousands in such a manner, all different cultures, socio-economic, intellectual levels you come to be grounded by the fundamentals of how people think and feel. My whole way of thinking changed over the years. Try living with over a hundred street teens (13 at a time), very damaged young people in emergency accommodation for a while and your whole moral stance becomes far more realistic. Try mediating as a union rep and see that even the top CEOs are just people with a facade protecting inner vulnerabilities.

I've always said SER8 I'm just an ordinary guy,. But I was very lucky to be involved and to see things few would see in such a broad canvas of living. And yeh you start to read commonalities in people's behaviour and vulnerabilities, which I share also. I am quite prepared mate to talk with you about it at length about these issues if you want. Just send me a note on [email protected].

Thanks Bearfax but no worries. You win, I wouldn't have a hope of predicting the feelings or thoughts of a bloke I've not only never met, but also haven't even interviewed his family, or read his school reports etc etc etc. I shall bow to your knowledge wisdom and experience.

How about Cust? Do you think he may be a bit more committed to this Manly team? Now just wondering if we're better off concentrating on developing types like him rather than waste time on guys who aren't happy here and will probably just head off to the Chooks or something.

Imo we need Cust to stick around given uncertainty on fainu, Croker Just not creative enough but is very solid.
I like to see Ben turbo develop into a centre he has the size to be a menace, long term schuster the 6.

Daly has carried a poor team amicably for the last few years but has developed a habit of going missing when needed to manage the game. Foz has done him wonders this year but I think the question on why DCE can't lead our team effectively - a diplomat is no longer required when you're 2 tries down.

Thanks Bearfax but no worries. You win, I wouldn't have a hope of predicting the feelings or thoughts of a bloke I've not only never met, but also haven't even interviewed his family, or read his school reports etc etc etc. I shall bow to your knowledge wisdom and experience.

How about Cust? Do you think he may be a bit more committed to this Manly team? Now just wondering if we're better off concentrating on developing types like him rather than waste time on guys who aren't happy here and will probably just head off to the Chooks or something.

Dont misunderstand SER8. You're probably smarter than I am. But if you're a mechanic or an accountant or a plumber, you know as well as I that you learn things through experience, that the general population is unlikely to learn. I'm hopeless with mechanics, know a little about plumbing, have a good grasp of maths but would be out of my depth with accountancy. Similarly I have no children so I can only get a general sense of what its like to raise children day by day and take responsibility for a family. We each have our own skills and deficiencies. I write pretty well but I'm a hopeless musician or painter. My computer skills are at best adequate, but I have extensive historical, mythological, astronomical and general science knowledge. Some say I live in my head and that's why I write. But give me a hammer and I'd hit my thumb every time. Human behaviour...love it and it never ceases to intrigue me. Such is the nature of the beast.

Cust. Not hard to suggest there is a better than 50/50 chance he'll leave, and I think most of us think that. Tigers and Bulldogs would be my guess. Of course he's a Scone lad and I suspect Pearce is going so maybe the Knights should also be considered. And then the Warriors apparently had a nibble mid year checking out his availability. He wont find it hard to get a first grade spot in another club. Good first grader just unfortunate for him he's behind DCE.

Some say I live in my head
Well then I'd say you are definitely smarter than me, I think my stomach determines most of my moves these days (!)
And you may be right about Cust, assuming others ahead of him in the pecking order don't leave.

Well then I'd say you are definitely smarter than me, I think my stomach determines most of my moves these days (!)
And you may be right about Cust, assuming others ahead of him in the pecking order don't leave.

Dont confuse smartness with experience or interests old mate. I think of a mate who was a plumber most of his career (one of my walking Bubble Buddies) who knows f..k all about the interests I have, yet he can build anything you want from scratch, can grow lush plants almost on concrete, is an excellent musician and I wonder if civilisation ended who would survive better. We're smart in many different ways, but experience is imperative.

Dont confuse smartness with experience or interests old mate
Well I am feeling pretty confused by now but don't worry I'm sure it's just me. I shall now withdraw from the Schuster discussion and leave it for the good folks with relevant life experience. Actually I'm now going to google how to grow plants on concrete, you've made me curious!

Well I am feeling pretty confused by now but don't worry I'm sure it's just me. I shall now withdraw from the Schuster discussion and leave it for the good folks with relevant life experience. Actually I'm now going to google how to grow plants on concrete, you've made me curious!

Hey I knew I'd win SER8. One of my talents is boring people into submission. Worked again.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8
7 3 3 20 7