Military Dog drops ceremonial puck. - awww

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Couldn't think of where to post this question, but this thread looks obscure enough so ...

This is about NBA by the way, and the Ben Simmons trade.
Anyone have any idea what all this means?? Is it a pick at all? Sounds like future options trading on the stock market @:oops:

“The Nets will get the Sixers’ 2020 first-round pick unprotected with a right to defer until 2023 and a 2027 first-round pick protected 1-to-8,” Adrian Wojnarowski reported.

“The 2027 pick would roll over to 2028 protected 1-to-8 again. The pick turns into two seconds and $2M in 2029.”

1644545350781.png

Couldn't think of where to post this question, but this thread looks obscure enough so ...

This is about NBA by the way, and the Ben Simmons trade.
Anyone have any idea what all this means?? Is it a pick at all? Sounds like future options trading on the stock market @:oops:

“The Nets will get the Sixers’ 2020 first-round pick unprotected with a right to defer until 2023 and a 2027 first-round pick protected 1-to-8,” Adrian Wojnarowski reported.

“The 2027 pick would roll over to 2028 protected 1-to-8 again. The pick turns into two seconds and $2M in 2029.”

View attachment 20311

A 'protected' pick means that I will give you a draft pick unless it falls into a certain position.

eg: You give me this player and I will give you our first round draft pick next year. 'protected' from positions 1 to 5.

So if our first round draft pick is #6 overall, you get it; if my first round pick happens to be the #1 draft pick then screw you baby, we're taking it!

If it is 'unprotected' then it sucks to be me (unless our first round draft pick is say #28, then it sucks to be you.

Thanks. Interesting, sort of. Quite an eye-opener to think they are planning strategies 5 and 6 years in advance, hard to imagine NRL clubs do that.

Thanks. Interesting, sort of. Quite an eye-opener to think they are planning strategies 5 and 6 years in advance, hard to imagine NRL clubs do that.

Agreed!

When I read through all the different types of players (ufa, fa, etc) in the nhl, I realise it's just too complicated for the nrl - plus the nrl doesn't have a draft system so it's 'almost' impossible to have anything much more complicated than "have some money" (lol)

Draft is quite interesting in itself. I have no inclination to look up the old cases in NSW where it was decided the draft couldn't be enforced, but that seems a bit odd. You want to join a pro circus of some type, you sign up knowing the rules. Haven't checked lately but I know there have been some student loan schemes eg for medical students , where they have to agree to go work in some regional area for X years upon graduation. At first glance it seems a simple contract. However as I say, couldn't be bothered to look up why it was rejected.
Draft season in various sports certainly seems to create intense interest for fans so prima facie that is good for the game?

Draft is quite interesting in itself. I have no inclination to look up the old cases in NSW where it was decided the draft couldn't be enforced, but that seems a bit odd. You want to join a pro circus of some type, you sign up knowing the rules. Haven't checked lately but I know there have been some student loan schemes eg for medical students , where they have to agree to go work in some regional area for X years upon graduation. At first glance it seems a simple contract. However as I say, couldn't be bothered to look up why it was rejected.
Draft season in various sports certainly seems to create intense interest for fans so prima facie that is good for the game?
Absolutely a draft would be good for the game. And a trade deadline too. I've been glued to the NBA news this week to see what trades were going to be made, and the best thing is now that the deadline has passed, focus now turns (by and large) to what happens on the court for the rest of the season.

I did read the case about the draft a while back... From memory (I may be wrong), it wasn't that drafts are per se prohibited, just that on the facts presented on that particular draft were an unreasonable restraint of trade. I think it is fair to say that the NRL will only ever have a draft where the RLPA signs off on one, and I cannot see them doing that anytime soon.

I did read the case about the draft a while back... From memory (I may be wrong), it wasn't that drafts are per se prohibited, just that on the facts presented on that particular draft were an unreasonable restraint of trade. I think it is fair to say that the NRL will only ever have a draft where the RLPA signs off on one, and I cannot see them doing that anytime soon.
Makes sense. But the facts might be different now, can't recall the last time it went to court but weren't there maybe only a couple of non-Sydney teams? Was Terry Hill the last case, that was back in 1991 and the comp looked quite different then.

Makes sense. But the facts might be different now, can't recall the last time it went to court but weren't there maybe only a couple of non-Sydney teams? Was Terry Hill the last case, that was back in 1991 and the comp looked quite different then.

I think you are right that the facts and commercial context is different now. Next time the collective bargaining agreement is up for negotiation would be a good time to explore it again.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4