monaghan interview in fridays telegraph

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Flufster - your right about Witt mate looking a little lost THIS year, but I personally rate the guy very highly. Reasons:-

He was standing very close to the middle of the ruck in attack this year because Monaghan was told to focus on one side of the ruck. This was good early on because no-one was onto us. The only way was for Witt to attack up the middle of the park (that's why he changed the direction of attack so much), or with long drifting passes out wide. This had the effect of us being lost in attack when changing direction when standing back, or looking like we were slow in attack when drifting balls out wide.

With Orford as 1/2 back, Witt can play the traditional 5/8 type mould of player. He can run angles, and control play on one specific side of the ruck himself, as Monaghan and Orford will be controlling attacking flare. With Monaghan at Hooker, we will have more variation in that position than we have had in years (potentially since we had Serdaris)..

With Monaghan and Orford able to control the kicking game, Witt can focus on learning under Orford, and focus on what he does best....passing onto the wide running second rowers like Danners has stated. He can do this by standing wider. Don't think passing onto Bell, improved Watmough etc etc isn't going to be better than this year. KNOW IT. We have finesse in the backline much like Parra in 04, and why Witt was being sprouted by Wayne Bennett as a future Origin prospect.

Witt has the ability to offload a ball when tackled, keeping the second phase play going. With Sam Harris out of the team, I think this will make Witt all the more worth his weight in gold.

I actually thought Witt's defence was rather good in all games bar St George, where he was found wanting due to a shoulder injury.

The of coarse we have one of the best goal kickers in the competition in the side in Witt. Manly lost too many games by missed goals this year that were close. Wayne Pearce said as many as 4 games were lost in that poor run by missed goals. Guys - that would have placed us around 3rd of we won those games. The finals series for us would have been very different at that rate. I blame that on Des Hasler though....not Witt.

Fluffy - I reckon we give the guy a go under the new conditions, and if he is found wanting - then we look at options.

They guy is 21, and can only bulk up as well remember. If this is the case, his defence will improve as well.

I say Witt at 5/8 to start. It strengthens our bench. Monaghan at 5/8 weakens the bench.

i saw him at coles at balgowlah about a fortnight a go, he was looking pretty big and very fit, he gave me a few dirty looks though, especially when i didnt stop at the crossing, but i had a screaming kid to deal with

[quote author=Ryan]
He looks like an absolute UNIT in the paper...almost like a weight lifter or something !!! He is a mini Kylie Leuleuai now !!!

And he looks pretty pleased with himself.

[/quote]

I would 2 if I had a body like that! Chicks will love him and he'll make an excellent Manly Hooker on 06.

[quote author=Stuey Davis Socks]
[quote author=Ryan]
He looks like an absolute UNIT in the paper...almost like a weight lifter or something !!! He is a mini Kylie Leuleuai now !!!

And he looks pretty pleased with himself.

[/quote]

I would 2 if I had a body like that! Chicks will love him and he'll make an excellent Manly Hooker on 06.

[/quote]

Gotta agree here for a minute there i thought I was looking in a mirror allbeit one of those fun house types that turns blubber into muscle

Members online

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4