Monaghan Offer Withdrawn

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
How much money do we have here though, can we resign monas - as hooker or 5/8 and bye orford and a centre or 2?

Or are we going to wait until 2007 for lyon??

I think you are all being very short sighted.

The fact is Orford has never stepped up in a big game anymore than Monaghan has and yet Orford is 2 years older and has over 50 games more experience than Monaghan.

sue asked someone to give a time when Monaghan has stepped up, well there aren't many that anyone could give when Orford has either.

We are on top of the table, this guy is passionate about the club, why lose him?

I bet you there is not one person on this forum who would today swap Orford for Kimmorley again, because of what followed. This is what you are thinking of doing again......

If we take Monaghans halfback position away we are losing him from the club.

Disgraceful that some of you could that easily give in......

IMO Monaghan played pretty well against the Broncos, and if the rest of the team had stepped up to his level it would be a different story.

I suppose sue, that you have forgotten the game when we BEAT a Matt Orford lead storm side, and Monaghan kicked a field goal to clinch the game. Might I add that Orford was unable to 'step up' in this game.

St George last year, 21 - 10, we were struggling and yet Monaghan stepped up to clinch a game against a team riding high in the top 4.

Short sighted is what all of you are, and I am willing to back up Monaghan to the day I die.

Agreed that having Orford and Monaghan in the same team would be excellent, but the truth is that it ain't going to happen. Especially if we want to bolster our centre position.

You want quality in all of the key positions........ buy someone who actually can step up to big games, has proven that, by playing for more than just his club team....... Craig Wing.

Off contract, and would NOT dislodge the man that has lead us to the top of the table.

I could go on for years on this topic but I doubt anyone has read this far........ piss off all you doubters, I and many others DO NOT what a Kimmorley repeat.

MONAS MUST STAY!
<span class='smallblacktext'>[ Edited Wed May 11 2005, 11:05AM ]</span>

Gees, you go away from the messageboards for a few weeks, and THIS happens??!? !amazed That'll learn me....

I have to say I think Monas has been a great player for the Eagles, ever since he took over the captaincy. I'd like to see him stay as he's quite a good leader IMO.

There is one small point that people seem to be overlooking as well. The club is going to chase Orford, no worries. But why would Orford want to come back to a club which dumped him for an overpaid, underachieving player??

While I agree we should be looking at improving our squad, I'm not sure replacing Monas is the best way to do it.

Cheers -- DW

It was the JV that dumped Monas, not Manly.

Matabele, I realise you think that Orford is a great player. I can't really deter that fact.

BUT, tell me this..... what would you rather see....

A team with Orford, but NO Monaghan......

1. Stewart
2. Donald
3. Alberts
4. Stephenson
5. Hicks
6. Witt
7. Orford
8. Kite
9. Williamson
10. King
11. Menzies
12. Watmough
13. Kennedy

14. Leuluai
15. Heckenburg
16. Dunley
17. Harris

Notice since we bought Orford, money wasn't left to purchase a centre.

OR, a team WITH Monaghan, and a possibility of other purchases.

1. Stewart
2. Donald
3. Alberts
4. King
5. Hicks
6. Witt
7. Monaghan
8. Kite
9. Wing
10. King
11. Menzies
12. Watmough
13. Kennedy

14. Leuluai
15. Heckenburg
16. Dunley
17. Harris

As you can see, the second team is IMO much more appetising. King would cost almost half of what Orford will and therefore Wing is an option as well.

Why take the risk of losing Monaghan to buy Orford, therefore strengthening a position in our team that is not by any means a weak spot, and defying the chance to strengthen positions in our team which ARE weak spots, such as Centre and Hooker.

And don't tell me that by buyign Orford that Monaghan would still stay and play hooker......... load of crap mate. We buy Orford, and we lose Monaghan end of story.

Think about it.........

melbourne 50 to 4 over broncos for a start.melbournes record against the top clubs in the last 2 seasons is,with the exception of the bulldogs,as good or better than any in the league.have a look at the records-you will get a big surprise.and that is fact.yet blunty has come up with one game against an understrength dragons at brookvale on a sunday arvo.any others you missed.no!

melbourne tend to lose against the lesser sides which is a worry for them BUT THAT IS ABOUT ATTITUDE and can be fixed. i would much rather that than never threatening the top sides except when they fall asleep through boredom.the classic example was the bulldogs at brookvale last year.put 50 on us and folkes called it their worst performance of the season.

our record,both this year and last,is dreadful against the top sides.except for a couple of late comebacks when down 20 nil and still not winning we rarely,if ever compete.

we have a big,steely forward pack now with players like beaver,kennedy and watmough unbelieveable each week plus 3 hardworking heavy hitting props.lets capitalise on it by buying some class.orford plays each week behind the smallest pack in the league(with tigers) by a country mile.give him some real grunt like our pack and i reckon we are on our way to the top.

darkwing has a good point above.would he want to come back?

do you have any idea what wing and king want.obviously not.it is a hell of a lot more than the difference between monaghan and orford(on a 3 year deal).

the other thing that will make it hard for monaghan(and i think he would be an excellent hooker) is the wrap that ballin has.we dont need 3 hookers and that may force him out.

lets wait and see anyway.it may be all academic.anyone who knows banaghan knows his modus operandi.remember the hodges saga.a few clubs refuse to deal with him,especially brisbane.although it is common knowledge manly is looking at orford(along with 10 others) this may very well be a load of pre june 30 **** from big jim.

Wow Orford played in a game where his team won 50 - 4. Well that means he knows how to step up in the big games, Brisbane were obviously turned on for that game. They didn't just 'fall asleep due to boredom' did they.

The point is we aren't basing judgements on last year, because the fact is Monaghan wasn't the reason we were losing. It was the lack of ability and determination of the rest of the team.

Once again sue you skim over the most important points. Manly BEAT Melbourne this year, who were lead by Matt orford. You say Melbourne lose to the 'lesser sides'. Fact is we were top of the table when we met them, and we are top of the table now. We are in no way a 'lesser side' this year.

But yet you fail to realise that Orford couldn't step up to the plate against Monaghan. Plain and simple. Despite what you think, in that game Monaghan was the only one stepping up, NOT Orford.

Look back at games over the last year, and I think you will find that Melbourne may have beaten top sides, but in all of their victories none would have been close incounters. Orford doesn't have the same passion and grit as Monaghan does.

I still don't see why we would try and get Orford, and most likely lose Monaghan and meanwhile not strengthen our centres and hooking roles.

Manly as a club are not going to move forward by losing their captain, and carrying weakened positions such as centre and hooker.

You want to win a premiership, BUY a classy hooker and centre, not replace our captain.

flogged penrith by plenty twice in 03.

34-6 sts
28-6 cowboys
66-14 penrith
22-12 bulldogs-premiers
31-14 broncos(semi final)

46-12 sts
50-4 brisbane
46-10 canberra

have your grit old boy,ill cop a few wins against good sides instead.

lets move on.it is probably all horse**** anyway.

there is a simple answer to this.if anyone can name a single game in the last 2 seasons where we have played elite sides and he has stood up-list them below.that is why they are considering their options.we do it now or we run with him for 3 years.standing and cheering flick passes at sunday arvo at brookvale is different to the telstra stadium at night on the last sunday in september.it all depends what you want -win a few and run sixth with a good halfback or take a risk and have a go at the top spot.it may not work but at least there is hope.a look at the halfbacks between 1981 -2005 gives a small clue to what is required.

those 3 ridiculous passes and a kick he threw when we were attacking the tigers line last week mean LOSE against top sides.every mistake is magnified with the broncos on the end of them.

hoppa was resigned for one single reason and one only-MAX DELMEGE.

I agree with every word.

What happens if we lose Monaghan and don't get Orford? We are royally screwed, that's what!

Monaghan is young and inexperienced, he's getting better all the time. Orford is 27, Monaghan is 24, in seven years time, Monaghan will be one of the best servants in the history of our club, I've got no doubt about it.

If we sign Orford, we will probably lose Monaghan to Melbourne. Don't we have a great history in halfback trades with that club. :roll:

Even the most ardent Manly fan would have to concede that Orford has been consistently a better halfback than Monas over the last two seasons. However that doesn't mean that he is a better long term option for us. Monas is improving, and its amazing what a decent "go forward" pack will do for a halfbacks confidence. He seems to be getting better, and more comfortable with his role week by week, whether he can take it to the next level remains to be seen.

c and c you hit the nail on the head.

it is a question of risk.do you run with monaghan for the next 3 years when he has shown ability but nothing in big games or go with a better credentialled orford who has to blend in with a new team which is not always easy( although he will have a lot tougher forward pack than the storm).there is a risk in both options.being a futures trader i will always take the option that is uncertian but allows a lot more upside.i know what ill get from monas but the orford option has that glorious uncertianty about it that allows an old eagle to dream.....

What happens if we lose Monaghan and don't get Orford? We are royally screwed, that's what!

Monaghan is young and inexperienced, he's getting better all the time. Orford is 27, Monaghan is 24, in seven years time, Monaghan will be one of the best servants in the history of our club, I've got no doubt about it.
Gents, give the club's management some credence that they have a bit of ability about them, have thought of this eventuality and have covered the bases.

They're not mugs.

we let alby go mata - that looks rather muggish this year

Blunty - i wouldnt keep on with Sue - she has been told by an insider that we are after orford and nothing said will change her mind.

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6
6 3 3 -13 6