MWRL Football Club AGM 2011 (and Proxy voting)

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Hi Rory,
Good to see you introducing yourself to members via this site and I’m looking forward to seeing you at the AGM and serving with you on the board in the coming months.

To answer a few other points raised:-

Fluffy – The paperwork for the AGM that will have been received will not indicate if the recipient is eligible for voting.
As there is no ballot at this meeting then rather than mailing multiple versions of letters to different groups a standard mail was sent as voting rights are not critical at this time.

However, if any members wish to check their voting status I’m happy for them to contact me directly and I can update them.

SER8 – Good to hear from you and certainly no issue with you asking questions and I encourage more people to be “curious”.

From my point of view, the more people that take up FC membership and take an active interest in what the FC and the Sea Eagles are doing behind the scenes the better?

Re the AGM - As CW correctly posts - We are obliged as part of the constitution and the Corporations act to hold an Annual General Meeting hence - we have to do it (whether it is deemed as “going through the motions” or not)

More importantly, it allows the board to be accountable to members and gives the opportunity to meet the directors and to ask questions – I urge all members to attend if they can.

Certainly the FC is not a closed shop by any means – we have worked hard to promote the Club and encourage membership and build a larger base of members including reducing the cost for Sea Eagles members to only $10 per person.

We have seen the numbers more than doubled since last year.

I remain very convinced that an active and well supported member based entity like the Football Club is an essential part of the make up of the ownership structure.

If nothing else, recent events have reinforced the importance of supporters having some input or avenues to ask questions or have representation at the executive level of our club.

If people decide not to join the Football Club that is their right - but it does take away or restrict that privilege.

Cambo – your point re who represents us at the Sea Eagles board meetings is as you correctly say is currently determined by the board as per the constitution.
Any change to the constitution must be under a special resolution by the company – if you wish to pursue let me know and I’ll let you know what needs to be done?

To answer Joey’s point - Under the club constitution if there are only 6 nominations for the 6 director spots then those people are elected unopposed (And as that is the case now then the vote this time is pretty much a formality)

So if everyone votes against a motion to elect "X" as a Director then they are still elected regardless because there are no other nominations ? Sounds like a weird constitution if you ask me. Lack of other candidates shouldn't be reason to accept nominations from just anyone unopposed.

Chip and Chase said:
Interesting that Krilich conveniently pulled out then.

I have often seen this happen on many boards. When a candidate realises that a vote means one will miss out, it is no surprise to step down. It was reported at the time that Max did not want a 'political bunfight'. Not the first time that one M. Krilich has stepped back for the sake of the club!!! My all-time favourite I must say!!!

Whilst it is very unlikely that a person would have every member vote against them it could of course happen.

That would, by definition, also include the board members who could then pass a resolution to remove the said member so would be the same end result C & C ?

SER8 - I read your post above to Rory – and will leave it to him to reply but in the meantime you’ll know I speak to many members of the FC on a pretty regular basis and then often provide feedback and ideas at board meetings.

One example was late 2009 when the new season ticket details for 2010 were released and there was some confusion on a change in category for some seats and other pricing aspects.

It was agreed to raise the matter with the Sea Eagles board on behalf of the members and the issue was resolved.

Of course hardly newsworthy for the likes of News Ltd and not the sort of thing that you do a press release for but, as previously posted, If you have questions or issues you know how to contact us so don't be shy?

I don’t have all the answers and can’t promise to fix everything to everyone’s satisfaction but raising the point for discussion is at least a start?

vidmar said:
Hi Rory,
Good to see you introducing yourself to members via this site and I’m looking forward to seeing you at the AGM and serving with you on the board in the coming months.

To answer a few other points raised:-

Fluffy – The paperwork for the AGM that will have been received will not indicate if the recipient is eligible for voting.
As there is no ballot at this meeting then rather than mailing multiple versions of letters to different groups a standard mail was sent as voting rights are not critical at this time.

However, if any members wish to check their voting status I’m happy for them to contact me directly and I can update them.

SER8 – Good to hear from you and certainly no issue with you asking questions and I encourage more people to be “curious”.

From my point of view, the more people that take up FC membership and take an active interest in what the FC and the Sea Eagles are doing behind the scenes the better?

Re the AGM - As CW correctly posts - We are obliged as part of the constitution and the Corporations act to hold an Annual General Meeting hence - we have to do it (whether it is deemed as “going through the motions” or not)

More importantly, it allows the board to be accountable to members and gives the opportunity to meet the directors and to ask questions – I urge all members to attend if they can.

Certainly the FC is not a closed shop by any means – we have worked hard to promote the Club and encourage membership and build a larger base of members including reducing the cost for Sea Eagles members to only $10 per person.

We have seen the numbers more than doubled since last year.

I remain very convinced that an active and well supported member based entity like the Football Club is an essential part of the make up of the ownership structure.

If nothing else, recent events have reinforced the importance of supporters having some input or avenues to ask questions or have representation at the executive level of our club.

If people decide not to join the Football Club that is their right - but it does take away or restrict that privilege.

Cambo – your point re who represents us at the Sea Eagles board meetings is as you correctly say is currently determined by the board as per the constitution.
Any change to the constitution must be under a special resolution by the company – if you wish to pursue let me know and I’ll let you know what needs to be done?
That would be great thanks bob

SeaEagleRock8 said:
Manly 629 said:
My mission on the MWDFC Board is to influence the Sea Eagles to board to concentrate on the success of Manly Sea Eagles both on the field and financially and of course to represent the Members of MWDFC the best way possible.
Thanks for offering that resume Rory. Good luck with the election (lol).

Clearly there are many issues for the Sea Eagles at any time that are sensitive, and for one reason or another should not be broadcast with a loud hailer until the appropriate time – eg: sponsor negotiations, staff and player appointments. The activities of One Eyed Eagles probably also come into this category, and well done for your role in establishing that network.

However – the criticism of the FC over a period of time has included that it is democratic in form but not in reality.

There are a number of areas where the voice of fans should reasonably be sought. This includes Sea Eagles issues (eg home games away from Brookvale, fan/'member' packages etc) but also many issues where the Sea Eagles get to present a view to the NRL on wider issues - such as the IC, appointment of Gallop, and many more.

So – what are your ideas on "the best way possible" to represent the members of MWDFC? Do you have any thoughts on how to provide information to members? How do you plan to find out what the informed views of members are? In other words, do you consider your role is to represent the views of members, or just to put forward what you consider to be in the interests of members?

It is to your credit that you present yourself here on this forum. Of course everyone here is not a FC member. If for any reason you don't wish to discuss your views here, were you proposing to circulate anything to FC members?

Cheers
Lachlan
SER8, Lachlan,

In answer to your questions,
1. Best way to represent the MWDFC members- I have always been a talker and strong listener and am very interested to hear the views, concerns and ideas of all football club members,. Over the past years I have been heavily involved in One Eyed Eagles and have developed and tinkered with that offering to suit the membership. Nothing will change and I am hoping to meet a lot of the members at the AGM. My reputation within the business world is a go getter who gets things done and in tend to be the same whilst representing the football club members.
2.Getting information to the membership- this is one of the reasons I have put myself up for election, with a lack of information coming back down the line to the members. This will be raised in the correct forum and I will be gunning for a medium to relay information back to those of you that are members of MWDFC.
3. Views of the members- As stated earlier, I am more than happy to lend members my ear and understand their feelings whether they be of concern of an ideological nature and more than happy to take them to the Board. Sometimes the smallest ideas have the biggest impact.

Hope this clarifies your questions and I look forward to meeting some of you on the 15th December. I am sorry for the delay but I don't visit the forum a look (but my 3 boys do under my log-in).

Regards
Rory

SeaEagleRock8 said:
OneEyedEagle said:
SER8, if your going to the AGM, I still owe you a beer!
Haha, it will depend on whether I stay overnite in Sydney. But I'll keep in touch about it.

Hey Lachlan, I may not be able to make tomorrow night. I have been in the USA last week for work and had to come home early as my mum was rushed to hospital emergency, looks like she may be spending Christmas in there. My priorities are elsewhere at the moment.

Vidmar, work and family commitment permitting I would like to get more actively involved in the football club in any capacity in the new year . I was really looking forwarded to meeting a few of my fellow supporters.

Does the football club require any volunteers.

Oh dear, very sorry to hear that news about your mum, I hope things improve for her quickly. As it turns out I don't think I can make it either.

Disappointing, mainly as it would be a chance to catch up with a few people and meet some more.

Speaking of which, thanks for your reply Rory, I only just saw that.

Vidmar are you still on crutches? If so, bad luck, it seems Rory is a go-getter so I expect the sangers will be long gone by the time you get there (joke).

If I do miss it then hope to catch up elsewhere soon.

WAMF - Thanks, will pass on your apology?

OOE - Sorry to read your news, best wishes and hope all goes well.
Concentrate on looking after mum and then drop me a PM when it's a better time re helping out with the FC?

SER8 - Sorry you can't make it. I'm down to one crutch and trying to walk around on none as much as possible (Hoping to be crutchless for Christmas....) Going hard with the physio now (helps if you swear!) so getting the muscle mass back again and still working on reducing the swelling which was significant but, going good and not long now before I can again pursue my long held dream of dancing with the Royal Ballet.

Thanks to everyone who has passed on well wishes and helped me with "stuff" during the last 3 months - very much appreciated.

To confirm - the FC AGM will commence at 7pm this evening at the Leagues Club hope to see a few of you there

Hi Bob, may be too late but please pass on my apologies for tonight's meeting! Am stuck in Canberra and working tonight. Cheers!

Will someone be picking up this new found "communication with members" ball and running with it by posting a summary of tonights meeting in this thread tomorrow. Look forward to reading whether anything worthwhile comes from tonights event and whether any pertinent questions are asked and answered.

Get better soon master blaster. BTW off topic but that was my first ever cricket bat, the good ol Viv Richards master blaster lol.

This is from memory;

Meeting opened a minute silence for Rex and another gentleman who passed away during 2011.

Due to an issue there was no annual report available (will out in early Jan) but none the less the previous minutes and financials were passed.

Directors for 2012 were confirmed and past directors thanked.

Tooves spoke in short training is going very well, players are focused, not happy with the draw in firts 5 rounds but were pleased one Monday game was moved to a Saturday. Team is gutted at what happened post Grand Final as didnt give them the chance to enjoy the win. Most positions in coaching staff are now filled with the exception of the video analyst who left last week. This will be covered by assistant coaches and a yet to be recruited technical type. A new NSW cup coach will be announced soon. Looking foward to play games and winning the WCC.

Brookie Oval - the community consultation has been completed the Sea Eagles submission has been delivered - Phil Dean did a great job and it was first class. The is no additional funding available for work post was it being done at present. The council have not submitted a request for a grant under the Regional Development fund as yet - the Federal Minister actually asked when was a request forecoming recently - very frustrated at council but new staff involved are a lot more proactive. Any funding will be for a 4000 seat Grand Stand behind the hill and concourse seating in front of Jane Try stand. Mike Baird recently offered council a $22 mill loan at 3% but council knocked it back.

General business;

Was the internal bickering going to stop? All trying, recent change to ownership will help
Will the new committee review the current reps on the Sea Eagles Board with a view to assisting the reconcillation at board level? Yes
Where is david Perry? At another meeting couldnt make the night, a follow up was that the CEO must attend in future to take questions from members - this feedback will be passed on.
Geoff Toovey was asked to take back to the team the best wishes and appreciation of the members.
Vidmar and Tinker gave promoted the WCC supporters tour.

I think that covers most of it, anyone else who attend please feel free to add/correct.

PS There was one clown who kept asking questions all night.....

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8
7 3 3 20 7