New coach for Manly - not Barrett

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Incrorrect. I told people half way through last year that i had egg in my face, albeit concerned about Toovey's finals record.

For that reason I feel your criticism of me is as cherry picking as you accuse me of with result.

It's about trend, and we are treanding dreadfully down. We cannot win matches anymore. There's always some form of tropical excuse thrown around as to the reasons why, i get that.

I think it's Toovey. I think his players either arent buying in, or they aren't committed. I think he's lost the playing group.

Having players openly stating they want to play for another coach, so they can take their careers to the next level does worry me.

Do I want change? Yes. I won't shy from that. Thankfully I feel the leaders of the club feel that way as well. It's promising.

I will give credit (as i did season proper last year) when his team performs. Apparently I'm not allowed to use any results up until the 8 losses from 11 this season, but even then.....not great.

Edit: And i do not like Toovey as a person. I have my reasons why, but it would be completely inappropriate to discuss them here, especially considerring the bashing I received for telling people Foran was off to the Eels in October or whatever it was last year.
Ryan You can use your 8 losses from 11 this season but what about the other successful seasons 2V had and also this seaso
Exactly. Except against the eels and maybe the Raiders we have been in most games, we just need to sort out the last 20. I think this will happen when we get a few games with our best players on the track and then were finals bound. Thought we have been good the last few weeks, just had some moments and bad luck.
I agree with the bad luck but we also took bad options with the ball as well

Ryan I don't see a point in saying you don't like tooves because of 'X' but not actually saying what that is.

The excuse that you don't want to put it out for all to see, yet page after page hold him over a gun barrel is not cool. Either you say why you don't like a man or you don't say it at all.

For all we know you don't like litterers and tooves dropped a magnum wrapper on the field at training. Hardly what we'd consider a horrible man but you may well.

I honestly don't think you do his image any justice by alluding to him being a less than desirable person unless you're willing to say why.

Holly $hit!! Could you highlight the best bits for me and re- post? That's easily a 2 stubble read.

In short.

- Lawrence and Starling would give us better go forward and tighter defence in the middle. I think these 2 players alone would have us sitting in the bottom half of the top 8 if they hadn't been missing for so long.

- We've had to go without at least 1 of our 6 match winning backs for every game this season

- Our defence is much better than our position on the ladder suggests

- We have been very competitive but lacking the killer punch

- Tooves is doing a solid job in the face of serious adversity. I think his willingness to stick Jake in the starting lineup for most of this season, willingness to select Tom over more experienced backs and good forward rotation for the majority of this season are major plus points for him.

We contribute to teams as individuals and, more importantly, we contribute to teamwork.

Tearing down team members and team leaders - especially publicly - is not teamwork. It hurts the team. It tears down and invalidates any individual contributions we make.

A quality I've watched and admired about 2V is the way he has responded to enormous pressure. His emotions are raw, on the surface, yet he has always personally bled for the team, personally taken the hits for the team. He has not pointed a finger of blame at other team members. That is 2V toughness.

Our bad run started last year when we lost Ballin to a season ending injury against the Panthers. His loss was compounded by the fact that his best replacement in Buhrer was also lost to a season ending in the same match. Those two injuries single-handedly wiped our chances for the premiership last season, much like Snake’s season ending injuries did in the 09 and 10 seasons. For as long as I’ve followed league, I’ve always heard coaches crapping on about needing a good run with injuries around finals time and having luck on your side if you want the best chance at winning a title. We didn’t have that last year and nearly toppled the Dogs who went on to make the grand final. If the referees had the balls to penalise Reynolds for clearly being offside near his tryline in the dying stages, all Lyon had to do was kick a penalty goal to take us to another grand final qualifier.

Now we’ll turn to this season. I’ll start with the forwards. The player who gives us the most go forward (Lawrence) has barely been sighted. We’ve also seen **** all of his starting partner in Starling. These two took us to equal first last year and it would have been ****ing great to have them starting again this year with Turbo and Sao coming off the bench. Also, our best forward in Buhrer is gone for the season again.

8. Lawrence

9. Ballin

10. Starling

11. Buhrer

12. Horo

13. Lui

14. Turbo

15. Sao

16. Symonds

17. Leary

I would be ****ing stoked if it was possible to field the above forward pack in the latter half of this season. With Buhrer gone, sadly we can’t. But this forward pack, or something close to it, would give us far more chances at winning matches than we have been afforded this season.

Now for the backline which has been our crown jewel for years. Even before kickoff began this season, people were still rating our backline as arguably the best in the league. 6 of our starting 7 are genuine match winners and each of these 6 players has spent time on the sideline this season. Snake, Lyon, Matai, Taufua, Foran & Cherry-Evans. When these 6 are playing, our opposition are always ****ting bricks. Notice what has happened within the last month when our backline has resembled anything close to being at full strength. 2 high quality wins from 4 matches. The 2 losses were against teams currently in the top 8, both losses came in the dying stages and 1 was against the team that you’d have to say is the favourite for this year’s premiership. The last month of football has also seen our defence improve significantly. We have now played 5 games this season against teams currently in the top 8 and have conceded an average of 2 tries per game from these 5 matches. That’s clearly punching above our weight against the giants when you look at our position on the ladder. There are currently 7 teams in the competition with worse defence than us this season and you’d have to think that our defence would be even better still if we could ****ing score points. To score more points, we need Lawrence and Starling back so that we have a better chance at winning the arm wrestle. We also have to hope that at least Snake, Lyon, Foran and DCE can remain relatively injury free for the remainder of the season.

The reasons in order for our position on the ladder are as follows.

1. Injuries

2. Daylight

3. Boardroom Drama

4. Contract Negotiations

5. The Coach
I also have to take a massive swipe at those who are discrediting Tooves’ ability as coach. The guy has been a vital cog in the Manly juggernaut since 2004. He signed on shortly after retiring as a player and was here as a coach before we started our current run of 10 consecutive finals series. He is already a 2 time premiership winning coach, albeit as an assistant. When **** hit the fan in 2011, he stepped up for us in our time of need and has since coached us to 3 consecutive top 4 finishes for the 1st time since the 90’s. Add to that, he was rorted out of a grand final victory in 2013 and came closer than Hasler did to winning an elusive Minor Premiership. He has only ever faltered after enduring a horrendous injury toll to many key players, which has brought his overall winning % from the low 60’s to the high 50’s. No coach can overcome the injury toll he has faced. The players are still putting in for him, otherwise our defence would more reflect our position on the ladder. I can accept if people want change and if that’s the case, then fair enough. But to claim that he can’t coach or that he is past it is a ****ing insult. For the record, I could accept Bellamy or Hasler being our head coach. In the case of Hasler though, I would only welcome him back after Tooves’ contract expires.

I feel that this lean run is making a lot of us lose perspective. We need to harden up in times of a crisis and not look for a scapegoat. That’s the Manly way.
great post... echoes many of my sentiments

Just on 2sm now Kelly has said he doesn't know where the Barrett rumors are coming from.

He says coaching is a results driven business but we have injured players coming back and we can have a good second half of the season.

Said he hasn't spoken with anyone about taking a job as head coach.

Just on 2sm now Kelly has said he doesn't know where the Barrett rumors are coming from.

One source is that COX from Channel 10. Just two days ago he reported, in a breahtaking exclusive, that that DCE was leaving ("he's just stringing Manly along because of the way Manly treated him"), Cartwright would be here this week to take over as caretaker coach, Barrett would take over from 2016, and Lussick was joining us.
So far he is batting 0 out of 4.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6