New goal kicker?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Yeah we do need a goal kicker.

If killer doesnt play 5/8 mabye who ever is signed at 5/8 will goal kick.

Can parcell kick?

The importance of a quality kicker could easily be shown on Sunday with Thurston vs Parker.
If both teams score 5 tries out wide its Thurston 5/5 - Parker 2/5 & after getting a 6 point buffer, a Thurston FG makes it a winning 7 point game...no reflection on a game Brisbane should have had equal share.
If its 2 tries each in a defensive game, the score could also end up 12-8 Cows showing how easily a game can be decided by your kicker...

I don't want facts to get in the way of a good story but........
C Parker career success rate is 73% and 2015 72% (J Kahu at 67% when CP off the field)
J Thurston career success rate is 79% and 2015 78.5%

So rather than 2/5 v 5/5 we'd be expecting 3.6/5 v 3.9/5. Slight advantage but agreed that 2 points could be enough to make the difference.

I don't want facts to get in the way of a good story but........
C Parker career success rate is 73% and 2015 72% (J Kahu at 67% when CP off the field)
J Thurston career success rate is 79% and 2015 78.5%

So rather than 2/5 v 5/5 we'd be expecting 3.6/5 v 3.9/5. Slight advantage but agreed that 2 points could be enough to make the difference.
Not exactly right. You also need to factor in things such as how many conversion attempts they have had from out wide, their strike rate for sideline conversions, 2015 strike rate, strike rate in finals/origin games, strike rate at ANZ, etc, etc.... It's fair to say that Thurston is the preferred kicker at origin level so is likely a better kicker than Parker.

Not exactly right. You also need to factor in things such as how many conversion attempts they have had from out wide, their strike rate for sideline conversions, 2015 strike rate, strike rate in finals/origin games, strike rate at ANZ, etc, etc.... It's fair to say that Thurston is the preferred kicker at origin level so is likely a better kicker than Parker.

I completely agree that Thurston is the better kicker. I was just pulling him up on applying the 2/5 v 5/5 example to that kicking match up on Sunday.

Not sure if its been mentioned but DCE must practice kicking with a view to taking over for Manly. He's on the big bucks, he's here long term, he'll soon be our most experienced player and he has been a kicker before.

Of note is that some, such as Cam Smith, used to be poor but seem to have steadily improved over the years with practice. Practice makes perfect ;)

Not sure if its been mentioned but DCE must practice kicking with a view to taking over for Manly. He's on the big bucks, he's here long term, he'll soon be our most experienced player and he has been a kicker before.

Totally agree, if we are gonna pay him $10mill the LEAST he can do is be a half decent back up to whom ever.

If its true, I'm actually quite disappointed in him saying earlier this season that he'd happily do it and practice but no one had asked him to. Why not take the lead young man!

I completely agree that Thurston is the better kicker. I was just pulling him up on applying the 2/5 v 5/5 example to that kicking match up on Sunday.
I stick by Parker hitting 2-3 out of 5 sideline attempts & Thurston 4-5 from 5 so before pulling me up with stats, Thurston is simply a far better kicker & if the game comes down to many tries scored both ways, you will see this fact come Sunday

Anyone who watches the game knows Thurston kills Parker as a kicker mate, obviously he is keen to be the David Middleton stats man but as you rightly pointed out, stats are often misleading.....like this 1.

New coach, new ideas, new patterns of play, new hookers, we need a new goal kicker. Lyons average just hasn't been good enough.

a new goal kicking coach perhaps but something has to give.

Manly were blessed in the past having 80% goal kickers in Matthew Ridge and Ben Walker.

Snoz was ok without being great. On his day he was a superboot (e.g. 1987 GF), on others he couldn't hit water in the middle of the Pacific.

Andrew Walker and Michael Witt were good kickers.

Killer is a 73.59% career kicker in the NRL, though he hasn't kicked over 73% in a season since kicking 81.18% in 2010. His 2015 kicking was 47/65 (72.31%). From there our goal kicking takes a nosedive. Peta Hiku kicked 3/7 (42.86%), DCE missed all 4 shots at goal this year for a career percent of just 54.90 and the Wolfman kicked 2/3. Feleti Mateo.....who knew he could kick goals? 5/5 this year and he kicked 2/4 for the Warriors in 2013. And I know he kicked some goals in 2008 (who will forget his sideline shot going over the black dot in the GF?), but the less said about Steve Matai's kicking these days the better.

Koroisau is supposed to be a good kicker, but he has only kicked 4/7 in the NRL (all in 2015). He'll have to improve on 57.14% if he's ever going to be a full time kicker.

I think Killer will be our kicker in 2016 with Koroisau the backup.

Manly were blessed in the past having 80% goal kickers in Matthew Ridge and Ben Walker.

Snoz was ok without being great. On his day he was a superboot (e.g. 1987 GF), on others he couldn't hit water in the middle of the Pacific.

Andrew Walker and Michael Witt were good kickers.

Killer is a 73.59% career kicker in the NRL, though he hasn't kicked over 73% in a season since kicking 81.18% in 2010. His 2015 kicking was 47/65 (72.31%). From there our goal kicking takes a nosedive. Peta Hiku kicked 3/7 (42.86%), DCE missed all 4 shots at goal this year for a career percent of just 54.90 and the Wolfman kicked 2/3. Feleti Mateo.....who knew he could kick goals? 5/5 this year and he kicked 2/4 for the Warriors in 2013. And I know he kicked some goals in 2008 (who will forget his sideline shot going over the black dot in the GF?), but the less said about Steve Matai's kicking these days the better.

Koroisau is supposed to be a good kicker, but he has only kicked 4/7 in the NRL (all in 2015). He'll have to improve on 57.14% if he's ever going to be a full time kicker.

I think Killer will be our kicker in 2016 with Koroisau the backup.

Whilst we would all like killer to kick @80% + I still reckon he is the man. I can only remember 1 game against Gold Coast where we lost because of his kicking.
He rarely misses the important pressure goals.

Of note is that some, such as Cam Smith, used to be poor but seem to have steadily improved over the years with practice. Practice makes perfect ;)
Completely agree. We should have more then one person who practices kicking in any event.

I'll even go as far as saying Jamie needs to practice way more.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6