• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
And points out that the attacks on Mitchell following the league's ad are very concerning given recent history in this country “This is heading into dangerous territory. A lot of us have watched the Adam Goodes documentary and it makes you feel sick, if you watch that and know what that man went through."
Good on Joel for speaking out.
100% Joel is a perfect example on how everyone should approach this issue. He is all about inclusiveness and speaks on the issue in a really mature and level headed way. My family has known Joel for a long time and has always had a great perspective and hopefully alot of people can learn from him.

100% Joel is a perfect example on how everyone should approach this issue. He is all about inclusiveness and speaks on the issue in a really mature and level headed way. My family has known Joel for a long time and has always had a great perspective and hopefully a lot of people can learn from him.
I haven't met him yet myself but know someone who has worked with him on a couple of things over the past year or two and thinks very highly of him as a person.

Actually Peponis’s Greek heritage was highlighted at every turn, once he became the Australian captain. And it was also a strong marketing tool for Canterbury-Bankstown throughout his career. But don’t let facts get in the way of an argument built on shifting sands.

I see nothing wrong with the ad.

Needless to say I find it amusing that some on this site adopt the News Ltd tabloid line (presumably part of a strategy to oust Greenberg) re: the ad, then routinely attack the same organisation for some of its perceived negative reporting of the Manly-Warringah club over many years.

Yes but Peponis' Hellenic roots did not warrant highlighting in a synopsis of the last 30 years. Race is irrelevant in sport. Mitchell being an Aboriginal does not warrant mentioning either. He's one of hundreds. And yet the ad has to virtually stop so we can say "Look. We like Aboriginal people. Aren't we awesome ?"

And for what it's worth, my opinions are mine. I don't read any newspapers so wouldn't know what line News have been trotting out. (Although you wouldn't need to be a genius to guess.)

My only point is the ad is supposed to be about rugby league. Make it about rugby league and leave the rest out. It's almost like if the NRL don't tell me to accept everyone, I won't know. Relax. I might be getting dumber but I don't think I'm there yet.

[QUOT

I am not certain you are making the point you think you are ....

If Harley Davidson do as you suggest ... and abandon what has made them successful for 100 years ..... and start making 50cc step through scooters to appease the "new" market ...... then they cease to be Harley Davidson anyway .....
Kind of exactly what boomers say about the NRL. No longer what it was.

I think one of the problems with political correctness, is that it's its own worst enemy.

By overplaying the hand, it just causes division and annoyance among the general public, and actually enhances discriminatory behaviour.

Certainly its important that we show respect to all people, but as Mossop once said 'I don't want (it) thrust down my throat'. I find discriminatory behaviour on any level childish, and usually its the childish extreme element that causes problems. But we don't need lowest common denominator rules placed upon us, or have these issues constantly thrust in our face. If there is a problem with certain people take action against them.

I don't care if someone is gay, female, of a different ethnic group, or religion/philosophy, colour, age, or if they prefer their eggs sunny side up. If they show respect to others, who cares what they do or believe in their personal life, as long as it doesn't impose itself on others.

I watch rugby league because of the enjoyment of the game and a group of very talented individuals. I'm only interested in how they play the game, not whether they are secret cross dressers, or prefer being whipped before sex. I don't care.

In this I agree totally with Kent. We don't need to get on the political bandwagon about anything else but how they play the game. The rest is their business and frankly I don't have any interest in it. Laissez Faire I say.

I think one of the problems with political correctness, is that it's its own worst enemy.

By overplaying the hand, it just causes division and annoyance among the general public, and actually enhances discriminatory behaviour.

Certainly its important that we show respect to all people, but as Mossop once said 'I don't want (it) thrust down my throat'. I find discriminatory behaviour on any level childish, and usually its the childish extreme element that causes problems. But we don't need lowest common denominator rules placed upon us, or have these issues constantly thrust in our face. If there is a problem with certain people take action against them.

I don't care if someone is gay, female, of a different ethnic group, or religion/philosophy, colour, age, or if they prefer their eggs sunny side up. If they show respect to others, who cares what they do or believe in their personal life, as long as it doesn't impose itself on others.

I watch rugby league because of the enjoyment of the game and a group of very talented individuals. I'm only interested in how they play the game, not whether they are secret cross dressers, or prefer being whipped before sex. I don't care.

In this I agree totally with Kent. We don't need to get on the political bandwagon about anything else but how they play the game. The rest is their business and frankly I don't have any interest in it. Laissez Faire I say.

Well said oh yea Grizzly one!!

Beautifully and truthfully said. Its that simple.

New fox sports Ad nails it. Simple. Celebrate the actual game. O let mistake they made was putting that knobhead tallis in it
and only one shot of Manly. But no one apart from Tina can belt that song out better.

Maybe, rather than have an opinion and use some judgement ... you should adopt the carefree, nothing matters intellectual inertia of the moderns ....

But don't expect a quick response .... they are all out hunting for toilet paper or teaching check out chicks how to correctly pack a shopping bag ... you know ... the big issues ..
I get sick of those people trying to flog me the "The big Issue" ...... read it once, really not worth the money.

New fox sports Ad nails it. Simple. Celebrate the actual game. O let mistake they made was putting that knobhead tallis in it
Fires me up more than the other one.
Maybe the absence of Smith.
They still laud the druggos though.
But Killer touching down........
That's simply the best.

I don’t think the NRL are preaching to the rusted on fans because they are rusted on and, let’s be honest, rusting. Their competition for bums and eyeballs are all entertainment, including Netflix, and all other sports. All AFL clubs are ****ting all over them when it comes to membership and the AFL has a much more (undeserved in my opinion) inclusive reputation.
It’s a different world now and I don’t envy them trying to tackle it. It think the idea of the ad was good but the execution and choices were extremely poor. They could have got the message across by building the excitement with the momentum of the ad including an exciting try by - and how often have we seen this? - scored by an indigenous player with a huge grin wearing the aboriginal mouth guard. A big hit from the women’s game followed by the kiss. Etc.
if I were still teaching I would have had this ad in front of my media students as an example of good intentions gone bad.
Now onto the footy. Can’t wait!
It upsets me that the afl is really popular and so blatantly racist. It shows how far most of the country has to go before they even realise how bad things are for first nations people.

Goodes was Australian of the year and booed out of the game for daring to challenge things. His own state of SA even booed him, and he was a clean and skillful player, not dirty. So it was racism. I had country south Australian relos telling me they weren’t racist during the boo period, they just didn’t like his war dance. Complete dumb idiots.

I am pleased that the nrl has made a positive step here, however clumsy. It is a line in the sand which says we accept diversity.

The moral of the story ....

In the original Godfather Quayle Greatest NRL football add
every one was talking about just the football

With this cheap imitation add every one is talking about other things and have people divided
'Butchered, terrible': Singo's barrage over NRL ad revealed
The NRL’s new commercial has prompted Sydney’s iconic adman John Singleton to say “Rugby League Central should be run by the Anti-Discrimination Board”.
If singo hates it I love it. He’s the yardstick.

It upsets me that the afl is really popular and so blatantly racist. It shows how far most of the country has to go before they even realise how bad things are for first nations people.

Goodes was Australian of the year and booed out of the game for daring to challenge things. His own state of SA even booed him, and he was a clean and skillful player, not dirty. So it was racism. I had country south Australian relos telling me they weren’t racist during the boo period, they just didn’t like his war dance. Complete dumb idiots.

I am pleased that the nrl has made a positive step here, however clumsy. It is a line in the sand which says we accept diversity.

I booed Adam Goodes from my loungeroom ... not for being indigenous, and not for challenging things ... but for continuing to abuse a girl after be realised she was only 13 years old .... it was a dog act and he had ample opportunity to pull back and be the better person ... to forgive and educate ... to show her how wrong and stupid her actions were ...... he did neither .... he failed miserably ...... and I didn't know the goose even had a war dance ...

Another if you didn't agree with Goodes you are a racist chestnuts ......

I strongly believe I’m not racist ( especially given my background) and I’ve got nothing against the aboriginal flag nor aboriginal players , let’s face it the Manly team and teams of the past are littered with other races but what I am is a die hard dinky die Aussie and to not see our nations flag anywhere in the advertisement, to me anyway, stinks!!

You want inclusiveness, show both NOT one!!

Staff online

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 99 14
7 6 1 54 14
7 5 2 36 12
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
7 4 3 49 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 3 4 17 8
8 4 4 -14 8
8 4 4 -16 8