News: Brett Stewart edging closer to return with Manly

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Berkeley_Eagle

Current Status: 24/7 Manly Fan
<p>Manly fullback Brett Stewart is edging closer to an NRL return with Sea Eagles hooker Matt Ballin conceding there is a slight chance the prolific tryscorer could play this Sunday against Melbourne.</p>

<a href="http://www.silvertails.net/news/4191-brett-stewart-edging-closer-to-return-with-manly.html">Read the full article</a>

Stewart not ready for Storm rematch

Margie McDonald  The Australian

BRETT Stewart will have to wait at least another week before he resumes his stop-start NRL season.

Manly coach Des Hasler convened with Sea Eagles medical staff yesterday before deciding to give the 24-year-old star fullback another week of full training on his troublesome right knee.

He was left out of the 18 to travel to Melbourne for Sunday's second grand final rematch. The Storm won the first 22-8 in May.

The former Test No1 re-injured the joint in round six last April and had to have more surgery.

The extra week off gives stand-in custodian Michael Robertson another game at the back.

"I'm really enjoying my time at fullback," said Robertson who scored three tries in last year's grand final. "I get to touch the ball more often, sticking around the middle of the field in support, and I get even more practice under the high ball."

Robertson insists he is ready to hand the jersey back.

But it won't be at Olympic Park this weekend -- something Sea Eagles hooker Matt Ballin says is just fine.

"At the start of the year I think fullback was still a bit foreign to Robbo but he's got more and more comfortable. He's been one of our best players this past month," Ballin said.

"So there's not such a big rush to get Brett back. Having him away for so long, it's just great seeing him back running freely on the field."

It's been 17 weeks since Stewart played and combined with his four-week suspension for being drunk at Manly's season launch, he has played only two games this year.

For the Storm, Greg Inglis was again not named in the side after police charged him with assault. His next court date is in a week.

Forwards coach and former Storm prop Robbie Kearns said Melbourne's poor away record this season (4-7) had been a real concern all year.

if we lose we go out of the 8... its a risk to play him and a risk not to play him.... catch 22

Wolfman doesn't want Stewart back because it increases the likelihood he will be playing Queensland Cup.

Personally I would rather wait until he is 100% rather than risk doing his knee again - another injury to that knee and his career is baically shot therefore would rather miss the 8 this year than have Brett retire at 25

Does anyone understand Brett's knee? Why is it a risk? If he is fit to play we need to play him, that is obvious to me. But if he is not fit, do not play him.

I guess he might be fit enough to run around at training but if he gets a bad knock in a game then it might be curtains for him? If that is so . . . will he better after a further few months rehab, or will he face exactly the same problem next year?

The Manly camp will remain very tight-lipped because they do not want to give away any information that might help an opponent. But the psychological boost of him running onto the field should not be underestimated. Maybe he won't have to do too much, just being there could lift his teammates and demoralise the opposition. It would certainly lift the spirits of Manly fans.

Come on hold off till next week.

Let the bloke have his comeback game at home against the Sharks and then the whole team will be lifted we can thrash them by 70.

If confidence in his recovery is going to be an issue I do not think it is wise to throw Snake in against a fit and very physical Melbourne side. Give him the extra week to welcomed back to cheers and applause rather than booing and comments regarding a court case.

SeaEagleRock8

With any injury it takes you a few games to get it back to normal. Sundays game with be a physical one and porobably not the bet one to bring back a player who has been out for so long.

His fitness will be waaaaay down and he will be unsure on his knee for a few weeks.

Bring him back against the sharks who are playing for nothing but to keep away from the spoon and at home, will be a massive boost.

being a home game, can you imagine the extra press we will get and the extra numbers through the gates?

missing_something link said:
let him play 25 - 40 min for the sunshine coast this week as a late inclusion, he could do with the run.

Then the sharks next week.

100% agree

Dan link said:
[quote author=missing_something link=topic=181401.msg237404#msg237404 date=1250648123]
let him play 25 - 40 min for the sunshine coast this week as a late inclusion, he could do with the run.

Then the sharks next week.

100% agree
[/quote]

That sounds like a good idea to me too.

I think 20 min off the bench.... instead of Heath...

Farrar could goto hooker if needed Brett can slot into fullback.. Robbo to wing etc..

If needed to inject him in earlier.. do it.

The Storm game is not the game for experiments, send him to QLD cup to get him fit then bring him back

Your comments above make good sense, except I doubt he would be sent to Qld Cup. Too valuable a commodity. Don't forget the players in Qld Cup may not have the skill level etc of NRL but they are not far off and there might be one or two who would be happy to be known as the guy who took out Snake. Not worth the risk, just let him train more & come on at Brookie against the Sharks.

SeaEagleRock8 link said:
Your comments above make good sense, except I doubt he would be sent to Qld Cup. Too valuable a commodity. Don't forget the players in Qld Cup may not have the skill level etc of NRL but they are not far off and there might be one or two who would be happy to be known as the guy who took out Snake. Not worth the risk, just let him train more & come on at Brookie against the Sharks.

He's going to face that in the NRL, if you don't think someone’s going to go hard after his knee in his first game back you’re kidding yourself, he'll have his leg twisted and will be tackled more times round his legs in his first game back than he has ever been before, he needs match fitness and confidence, all games in the QLD cup are recorded and are well officiated and limiting him to 25 - 40 min play time and naming him an hour before kickoff min would all reduce his exposure, but ultimately if he’s not right for the QLD cup he’s miles off being right for first grade.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 3 4 17 8