News: News Limited publications apology to Brett Stewart

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
"Nationwide News Pty Limited apologises to Mr Stewart for any hurt and embarrassment caused by those articles."

Nice admission of guilt right there ! If Brett and his legal team are smart, they's be attaining a very tidy sum, and using this paraphrase as a testament as to why.

My guess is the deal has already been done and that public notice of (cough) apology is a mere compliance with the terms of agreement.

mickqld said:
Shoe1 said:
Matabele said:

On 10 March 2009, The Courier Mail website published a series of articles about the police investigation into allegations of sexual assault made by a 17-year-old girl against Brett Stewart.

Read the full article

Did anyone else notice that Rebecca Wilson finished up with the Sunday Telegraph last week? Any link here I wonder? Perhaps some of the $$ that News paid out are a direct result of her articles.

Good riddance to her.

EDIT:

mickqld, as Dan stated the other day in the "FYI Blanket warning, tone it down" http://forums.silvertails.net/Thread-Blanket-warning-tone-it-down thread, "This site is frequented by ALL manly fans that means children too. There really is no place for people being called names, being sworn at or for any level of abuse". Also, you could open things up for legal proceedings to be taken against you too for the things that you say.

mick pm me what you said before it was edited.
I know and understand why dan edited it but im sure he wouldnt mind you pming me for ****s and giggles.

Mark from Brisbane said:
It's bloody hard to find on any of the News Ltd newspaper sites, so maybe .0000000001% of readers have actually read it......it should be a 1/4 page in the sports section of the normal papers.....a joke really.

I followed the link to the Courier Mail homepage and couldn't even find the apology, it must be hidden in there sopmewhere.

This is certainly something that is part of a damages settlement. The apologies of course ought to have been front page in large letters but it can still help provide closure for Brett and I'm sure is accompanied by a large payout. I hope he has at least recovered his legal costs.

Shoe1 said:
Matabele said:

On 10 March 2009, The Courier Mail website published a series of articles about the police investigation into allegations of sexual assault made by a 17-year-old girl against Brett Stewart.

Read the full article

Did anyone else notice that Rebecca Wilson finished up with the Sunday Telegraph last week? Any link here I wonder? Perhaps some of the $$ that News paid out are a direct result of her articles.

Maybe she got done for DUI again and couldn't get to work anymore.

I thought I read somewhere a few weeks back they settled on somewhere around 200k, could be wrong though

Ryan said:
"Nationwide News Pty Limited apologises to Mr Stewart for any hurt and embarrassment caused by those articles."

Nice admission of guilt right there ! If Brett and his legal team are smart, they's be attaining a very tidy sum, and using this paraphrase as a testament as to why.

Not really. An article which is entirely true and adheres to the highest journalistic standards can still cause hurt and embarassment. It doesn't say anywhere that what News did was wrong or that any of their reporting of the incident was inaccurate or negligent (which it was).

• 👍
Reactions: Rex
Still running,still hiding under you rock .What are you running from News Ltd? Your own guilty conscious maybe? Raped our game,our club and our best player and still wont admit guilt.A public lynching in Donkey jerseys on George st any weekday would be a good start.

swoop said:
Kiwi Eagle said:
I thought I read somewhere a few weeks back they settled on somewhere around 200k, could be wrong though

I saw it aswell, settled for 210k.

Danny Weidler:

CORRIDORS OF GLOWER

THERE'S a witch-hunt on in the News Ltd corridors after we revealed Brett Stewart received a $210,000 settlement from the media group after it got the story about what happened after a sponsors' launch two years ago so wrong. We have not spotted the formal apology to the Manly fullback just yet.

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/league-news/irate-hasler-reads-watmough-riot-act-20110409-1d8sk.html

Make it full spread back page for 2 years running and I might just take them seriously.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6