News: NRL two-referee system disbanded for five of weekend's NRL games

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

clontaago

First Grader
<p>The NRL's controversial two-referee system is in tatters after dramatic revelations that one referee will take complete charge of at least five games this weekend.</p>

<a href="http://silvertails.net/news/4724-nrl-two-referee-system-disbanded-for-five-of-weekends-nrl-games.html">Read the full article</a>

I'd like to see one referee back in control.  At least you had consistency of bad decisions.  Maybe the video ref could lend a hand instead of another fool on the park.  And I think the line runners should be made responsible for forward passes and offside plays, just like soccer line runners.  Flag raised when it happens wouldn't be a bad thing.   

What a joke!  Finch should be immediately sacked, what entity should tolerate such a gross breakdown on a critical service as we've seen with the refereeing this year.

Id rather see 1 referee in control and a second ref that loiters around and picks up the little things the main ref didn't see and relays them to him by radio. Rather than the obsurd lets swap refs whenever we feel like it.

Agreed Flip. I dont mind having 2 refs controlling the game, but they both need to have individual roles for the entire game. One ref controls then ten metres etc, the other simply polices the ruck.

It's not rocket surgery.

Harrigan should go with Finch.  Harrigan is the NRL coach's coach.  He's a large part of the problem..Always thought he was bigger than the game, sort of like Hartley.  Harrigan can go back to flogging Lowes junk or dodgy car parts. 

I'm with Flip and Clon.  It gives the inexperienced ref no pressure and only one area to look after, but at the same time it gives them full game time and experience of what goes on during the games, the pace, how things turn..you know, intuition.  Then they should be way more confident to rise up and take on a game themselves.

But whatever, you know it's pretty bad when the focus each week is on refs and not even the teams competing for the ultimate prize.  Refs used to be hated cos the only time you heard from them it was for a penalty.  Now you only hear them and nothing else, do this, do that, hooooooold, hooooooold, hooooooooold, go!

Has the refereeing always been this bad. I mean I know it is complained about for years, but it seems far worse lately than it ever has been in the past

Dan link said:
Has the refereeing always been this bad. I mean I know it is complained about for years, but it seems far worse lately than it ever has been in the past

When I watched games of past decades it was only when absolute howlers of decisions gained the focus of commentators. These days a ref cant get away with much simpler errors and its all about the attention paid to them by commentators.

That said however the problems of today are IMO directly attributable to the systemic problems created by the current ref leadership. They have made it more complex to ref without applying the knowledge of the people who really know & play the game.

I dont know at what point it was but someone at sometime decided they would take the opportunity to create a mini empire public service styled bureacracy out of the profession.

We all know flinch should go. Does Gallop have the stones (rhetorical)

Harrigant was on the radio over here this morning when I was on the way to work, I nearly drove off the road upon hearing there have "only been 4 bad decisions this season", our one v Parra, Morris no try, Wrong man binned last week were examples of them

He then went onto mention that Hayne, Archer and Cummins have been battling injuries, and over the off season they backed off their decision making under fatigue sessions and will be getting right back into them from now on

Only decent point he really made was that with all the complaining about how the advantage rule was, he doesn't want to hear the same people complaining about the old way now as well

Staff online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 3 4 17 8