News: Tandy arrested (and so it begins)

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
WAMF link said:
[quote author=Dan link=topic=186361.msg314127#msg314127 date=1296716892]
DSM5 if it goes to court, are you at all planning on attending and covering?

Dan
You really want to give that hosting server a good work out :)
[/quote]

I sure do :)

The new host we are moving to soon should be able to handle it as well as moving to some less server intensive back-end scripts as well

Fonz link said:
[quote author=swoop link=topic=186361.msg314097#msg314097 date=1296690933]
Another great start to the NRL season, not. The other codes must be laughing their heads off.

Yeah mate because the AFL are complete cleanskins at the moment. Fevola or St Kilda ring any bells? Soccer and Rugby don't count. A rugby league player could murder a nun and we'd still be more popular than both of these codes put together!
[/quote]

I agree with you, the problem is that because rugby league is so popular the other codes misdemeanors aren't reported as widely as rugby league.  

I live in country nsw and it used to be rugby league dominated and with the ARL failing to fund country rugby league it's now dominated by Aussie rules, soccer and union.

A lot of parents that I know think rugby league is full of thugs and idiots and encourage their kids to play other codes.

swoop link said:
A lot of parents that I know think rugby league is full of thugs and idiots and encourage their kids to play other codes.

Lets be honest, it does have it's fair share at every level

Dan, If I'm back in the country when it goes to court I'll report.  Maybe we can set up a designated spot for it, like the Stewart thing, if folks on the site are interested.  I didn't see anything in the papers about a date for a committal hearing though.  Interesting snippet about the Great Wayne Bennett popping into John Elias's mum's place to taste her cooking.  Weird really.   

Unlike Brett's case where media speculation was based on heresay,and he said/she said,Tandy will be different.If it's lying to the police about having a bet on that option,he'd be gone!I reckon the NSW Tab,and sportsbet,NT could account for every dollar and every bet I've ever had.This is hard evidence,not he said/she said.

Post  automatically merged: [time]1296722095[/time]

The other thing is,with so many supposed to be involved,someone will crack for a deal somewhere in the chain,or make a slip up.

Mybludog link said:
Tandy's been relieved of his duties with the dog's

Its hardly surprising and it also sounds like the club has had trouble contacting him so probably not as much support from their side.

In this case I support standing the player down (as long as it's on full pay) while it is underway as every time he takes the field it creates a question over the integrity of the game. If it was something unelated I would think it is wrong, but i think this should be the standard in all workplaces. Related to something in your job then suspended on pay, not related then it's not your employers issue.

The other thing is i cant believe player agents are allowed to bet on games! That should be banned and any player agent who then bets on an nrl should be banned from being an agent.

I know some one related to Tandy and he mentions that Tandy has not been charged with anything to do with the betting scandal and he doesn't think a charge will be forthcoming. Rather he is charged simply with lying to the crime commission, one would assume about particulars of his alibi or such.

If he is found guilty of lying to the commission he can face up to 5 years in prison. Not being a legal expert I wouldn't want to comment too readily, but it would seem odd to me to charge someone with lying to the commission unless you were unable to get them on the original suspicion.

The interesting point made today by Gallop is that there are three issues at play here.

1st - Did he place bets on a game. If so then the ARL can deal with him as I understand this it is only against the rules of the game not the law.

2nd - Did he seek to influence the result of a bet he placed. This has legal ramifications.

3rd - Did he lie when questioned. This is the charge brought against him currently.

Gallop made the point that even if the evidence is not sufficient to support the 2nd point that there may well be a case to act on the 1st.

This is of course my summary of what was said and not a quote.

ads link said:
The other thing is i cant believe player agents are allowed to bet on games! That should be banned and any player agent who then bets on an nrl should be banned from being an agent.

Here you go!

"A MEETING of the Player Agents Accreditation Committee next week will consider banning managers from betting on NRL games."

more @ http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/league-news/its-a-safe-bet-player-agents-will-be-dealt-punting-ban-20110203-1afkt.html

Well for a start, why can't a bloke go tho the pub und put a few bets on without it being suss? Why does it have to be dodgy? Just Cause for instance Sam Ayoub is having a few bets, doesn't mean he is in there betting on or against Jonathon Thurston. Innocent until proven guilty is a big topic for noodles on here at the moment. Society is full of people who don't smack their children, don't feed em junk food, wash their hands with snitiser, sue the council if they slip over and blame every one but themselves and think every one is trying to rip them off! **** society is ****ed!

Fonz link said:
Well for a start, why can't a bloke go tho the pub und put a few bets on without it being suss? Why does it have to be dodgy? Just Cause for instance Sam Ayoub is having a few bets, doesn't mean he is in there betting on or against Jonathon Thurston. Innocent until proven guilty is a big topic for noodles on here at the moment. Society is full of people who don't smack their children, don't feed em junk food, wash their hands with snitiser, sue the council if they slip over and blame every one but themselves and think every one is trying to rip them off! f**k society is f**ked!

Would it really be that hard for them not to bet on league? Let's face it, the only reason they would want to bet is because they have inside information on who's injured and what's happening with players. It's not like they can't bet on the horses or soccer or whatever else. Add to that they have influence over young impressionable players and even if everything is kosher, most player managers seem like complete shonks and the perception will be that they're up to something even if they're not. The way your going on about it we should be protesting down George st for the inalienable human right of player managers to have a bet on league. Get off it.

ANY ban on Players or Managers betting on games is pure window dressing. Any players wife, brother, sister or mate can place a bet, so don't be fooled into thinking any ban will stop it.

Jeez you're simple Cletus. How does a player manager have any more inside info then anyone else around? They don't stop players mums having a bet do they? They'd have inside info wouldn't they? You missed my point completely! So many people can have this info. If they want to stop it they need to rethink what sort of bets can be placed. The out come of a game is very hard to fix. Something like first points is very easy to fix. You don't even need a partner in crime. You can do it all by yourself. Place your bet then carry out the crime! FFS! And on another rant, how does betting affect an outcome anyway? It's not the betting that does the damage. It's the knob that lays on an opponent in front of his own sticks that does it.

I don't care about inside info, I'm just saying that the only reason they'd want to bet on league is because they percieve they have an advantage. The probelm with them betting is they have close access to multiple players on multiple teams so it would be very easy for them to fix games, and the perception would be due to the dodgy shenanigans they get up to ,e.g. multiple contracts with the Storm, under the table deals, that they would be capable of fixing games. Is it really too much to ask them not to bet on League games? Will they go to their graves bemoaning the fact they didn't get on Cronulla when they finally won the premiership? 

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8
7 3 3 20 7
7 3 4 31 6