No one likes us T-shirts

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
So you would rather attack other supporters on this forum because they dare to have a different opinion than you do . Democracy does though allow you to attack anonymously doesn't it ! Each to their own ......

I organised the "No one likes us" T shirts and sold them to raise money in aid of the "Save Brooky" fund.

From memmory we sold over 150 shirts

They were printed to order by a mate of mine who owns the Manly Longboard Company and I had a confirmed size, colour and payment from people before the order was placed.

It's unlikely I will be doing any future runs of the T shirts as they were done a fair few years ago for the "fledgeling" MWTS group whereas these days we tend to use the club media polo shirts and get them embroidered instead.

The "Guess What - Manly Hates You Too" shirts are available from DJ Spook who is QLD based (who initially designed and sold them to help raise funds to enable him to go to the World Club Challenge in the UK) and available via EBay - He'll no doubt appreciate any purchase to help with a trip to Homebush to see us win back to back finals (and then of course back to the UK for the WCC 2013!)

The origin of this 'sentiment' was way back when Manly bought players from other clubs. It was around the time of the 'import rule', which limited the number of players in your team which were *not* local juniors, a rule from 1975 to 1984. See this news story which refers to it:
http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/league-news/stat-of-import-dogs-lag-in-giving-locals-a-chance-20120405-1wfhy.html

Manly had money and imported players, even from the UK (eg, Steve Norton). And we had success.

We were a rich club and aggressive in trying to win competitions. Hence, jealousy, 'silvertails', and pillaging other club's players with the lure of success. What was done then was a shade of what is done today, and such practices are now considered 'business as usual'.

But times have long changed.

We do not have:
1. Rivers of money (like the Dogs do from pokies - richest pokies club in the country)
2. A rich owner like a multinational media empire (like the Storm do, owned by News Ltd).

Today, the club should be admired. It said no to Murdoch during Superleague, and the club is the best performing of recent years, the runs are on the board and the silvereware is in the cabinet.

As an aside, News Ltd journos hate us cause News Ltd is nearing to be a perfect example of a mindless cult of master-serving automatons. To succeed there is to drop the blue pill and wash it down with Koolaid. They can't really think clearly after the repeated pithings. But who cares about them? Manly will outlive the Daily Terror.

The fact is: 'Everyone hates us' needs to be explained to people who don't get it, and anyone who doesn't know some of the history doesn't get it and, frankly, doesn't care. Today, the Dogs and Storm are the new 'silver tails'. Not us. We are not the club to be hated.

To add some more background to Weev's post …

It's true that Manly in the late 1960s was determined to break through for its maiden premiership. In 1968 Manly played the grand final but lost 13-9 to South Sydney, who had also won the year before. Manly had a very strong team, which included the young Bobby Fulton as well as rep stars in both the forwards and backs.

For the 1969 season they added Queensland's Test centre John McDonald, as well as Newcastle Test forward Allan Thomson. McDonald was a brilliant player dubbed the next Reg Gasnier. He scored 4 tries in one match and ended up captaining Manly in the 1970 grand final … another loss to Souths, and their 5th grand final loss in 5 attempts.

For the 1971 season Manly signed brilliant English forward Mal Reilly, as well as Bob Moses from Souths. Originally also from Newcastle, Moses had played in Souths premiership teams in 1967 and '68. Still in pursuit of their first premiership, Manly were getting tantalisingly closer. In 1971 Manly won its first minor premiership, but narrow losses to Souths and then Saints saw them miss the grand final.

Despite their dominant playing performances, the South Sydney club was falling into financial ruin. Several star players left as the club was simply unable to retain them. For the 1972 season Manly signed John O'Neill (originally from Gunnedah) and Ray Branighan, both internationals, and the rest is history. Manly broke through to win its first premierships in 1972 and '73.

Manly wasn't the only club to raid Souths. The Roosters got internationals Ron Coote, Mike Cleary and Elwyn Walters. Those players helped them towards victory in 1974 and '75, their first premierships in 30 years. Canterbury signed Bob McCarthy for the following season.

The signing of O'Neill and Branighan wasn't Manly's only 'raid' on a Sydney premiership rival. For the 1980 season Manly bought 3 international standard players from Wests - Les Boyd, Ray Brown and John Dorahy. Over several years Manly also signed a number of top players from local rivals North Sydney, including club legend Ken Irvine and other stars such as John Gray and Bruce Walker.

There was nothing underhanded in any of Manly's signing coups during that period. Manly was sufficiently well-managed to be able to offer players closer to their real worth than other clubs that were not as well managed, but also players wanted to come to Manly to be part of a successful club. Ironically Wests had been known as 'the millionaires' during the 60s as they built an all-star roster to challenge the mighty St George. But by the time Manly signed the 3 stars from Wests, they were struggling financially, and there were doubts about the club's viability. Manly wasn't the richest club even back then – but they were shrewdly managed and there was a great attraction for players to move to the Northern Beaches to be part of a winning set-up.

Fast forward to this year. If we consider the strength of feeling generated against Canterbury for signing some of our coaching staff and one star player, T Rex, it gives a clue as to the origins of the anti-Manly sentiment. At least 3 clubs feel that they were raided by Manly, at a time when they were vulnerable. To rub salt into their wounds, Manly maintained a consistent record of brilliant success, whereas Souths, Norths, and Wests remained as perpetual strugglers, rarely seriously challenging for on-field glory.

To top it all off, Norths of course did not survive the marriage from hell and there are still people who prefer to blame Manly for their demise.

The truth is that in each case poor management is what left those clubs vulnerable to losing top players. Manly didn't pinch all the players, and even the ones we did sign would have gone to other clubs if Manly had not signed them.

However logic plays no part in any of this. When Roy Masters used the 'fibros v silvertails' image in the late 70s to try to motivate his team, he created a stereotype that every hack journalist and jealous rival fan has seized on ever since, to portray Manly as the privileged elite raping the honest battlers of the working class. It was never true, and it is the opposite of the truth these days. Yet it suited many people to perpetuate the myth, and so we still hear today how everyone loves to hate Manly.

2008 was such a brilliant comeback from disaster for our club, that there was an almost eerie absence of hate. But as each succeeding year has confirmed that we aren't going away, the jealous sniping has returned.

If we weren't always winning we wouldn't have this problem. So …do we really care?

Well said weev and SER8.
The masses also tend to forget or are oblivious to the fact the SL war would have been lost if we didn't lead the resistance, which very nearly crippled us.

Those were the days SER8, the one ( and probably only one) of being older than most on here is that you and I lived these days. I started as a supporter in the 60,s but really ramped up in the 70,s. and as I say tho were the days

weev said:
The fact is: 'Everyone hates us' needs to be explained to people who don't get it, and anyone who doesn't know some of the history doesn't get it and, frankly, doesn't care. Today, the Dogs and Storm are the new 'silver tails'. Not us. We are not the club to be hated.

That is an excellent point weev. It would be great if the club, supporters (and the media LOL) could somehow reverse the dinosaur opinions of hatred towards our club.
A lot of the stuff printed about Manly is hurtful to many fans and that's probably why some choose the stuff you - no one likes us we don't care attitude.
It's not Manly supporters who need to move on it's the rest.

At the end of the day we all support this team and that is the ultimate goal and objective. They way we do it is a individual choice and a freedom of speech everyone has. If some embrace the hate and want to wear t shirts that state this good on them. If others think it's degrading and negative to accept a stereotype that is definitely not deserved at the present time good on them. The end game of it all is we ALL want to back our team and see them succeed. How we do it differs but has the same result!!!

I have a "Guess what? Manly hates you too" t-shirt. I choose not to wear it in public anymore because in my opinion just because I support Manly I don't need to acknowledge the hate directed towards our club.

I am proud of what our club stands for & that is all that counts. I get to as many games as I can & cheer hard for our boys who bust their backsides on the footy field. The Manly rugby league club no longer promote this "us against the world" mentality so I have taken this on board & will do likewise.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6