NRL Bunker

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

HappilyManly

Journey Man
NRL unveils future with Bunker
Tue 23 Feb, 2016, 2:19pm
Martin Gabor and Chris Kennedy
https://www.nrl.com/nrl-unveils-future-with-bunker/tabid/10874/newsid/93126/default.aspx

image.ashx

A demonstration of the NRL Bunker in action. Credit: Grant Trouville. Copyright: NRL Photos.
It looks like something out of a James Bond movie, and NRL officials are hoping the new Central Command Centre will provide referees with the Goldeneye needed to make correct decisions quickly.

The Bunker, as it has commonly been called, is the most state-of-the-art video referral technology in Australian sport, and is set to revolutionise the game's decision review system.

NRL Head of Football Todd Greenberg was at Tuesday's launch in Eveleigh, and said the new facilities would be a game-changer for video referees, who have often had to make decisions in cramped conditions with rowdy fans hindering their judgement-making abilities.

With so many additional camera angles provided, while also removing the reliance on the broadcaster feed for replays, video officials will have much more information with which to make decisions and will be able to make them far more efficiently.

"We've sat there for many years with video technology just watching a screen and having no access to the content, and how that speed comes through," Greenberg said.

"Now for the first time we're actually taking shape of our own product and choosing which angles we take and how we take them and the speed in which we look at those."

The NRL has trialled the Bunker during the 2016 pre-season after extensive testing behind the scenes throughout 2015, and is confident that the systems it has in place will lead to immediate success in Round 1.

While he wouldn't discuss exact figures, Mr Greenberg was confident the game would be rewarded by the innovative project.

"It's a significant investment for the game," The NRL Head of Football said.

"But what I would also say is that in time, I have absolutely no doubt that we can return that investment back.

"What I mean by that is there are obviously commercial opportunities, but clearly there's a way for us to monetise the way we talk to our fans around our digital and social content, and also making sure we've got the very best product on the field."

Video referee decisions took an estimated 77 seconds last season, but the NRL is hoping that the Bunker will see those numbers slashed in 2016.

"I think 50-60 seconds is realistic for the first half of this season, but I'm very confident that we'll get better at our decision making and understanding the technology that it will reduce," Greenberg said.

"The overseas sports - the US sports that we've looked at very closely - have halved their decision making time on average over the course of two years, and I have no doubt we'll do something very similar."

While the NRL are looking to accelerate the decision making process, the introduction of the Bunker isn't seen as a means to speed up the game itself.

"What we are looking to do is make the game continuous. To stop those long breaks in play where we're standing around looking at video replay boards or waiting for a minute and a half for players to pack a scrum," Greenberg said.

"That can only be a good thing, because what it'll do, is it will ensure all shapes and sizes play the game, and that fatigue plays an important element in modern rugby league, and I think that's a very important part of our game."

Three cameras will be in place to beam pictures from the Central Command Centre to broadcasters to use in their programming, giving rugby league fans unprecedented insight into what happens in the Bunker.

NRL General Manager of Officiating Tony Archer said the goal was to eliminate errors completely after there were no mistakes made by video officials throughout the 2016 trial matches, while the improved transparency would reduce frustration among fans.

"There's always that demand [to get decisions right] and that's what we aim for," Archer said.

"Remember that there are humans involved in this, but we're targeting a really high rate of performance around here, and this is a really good environment to make those decisions, and I'm really confident in the people in this room.

"People won't necessarily agree with the decisions but they'll understand how we make them so there's an audio and visual component to the transparency around the decision making, and that's important for the game and important for the fans."

Problem is that HR and the union want them all wearing Polaroid sunglasses to protect their eyes

What I like is that they have videos that the Broadcaster doesn't.

How many times has Nein ignored blatant GI etc offences, yet manages to replay other Players indiscretions ad nauseam :swear:

• 🤝
Reactions: Rex
The only way I can see consistency is if the same guys are in the bunker for every single game. (which wont happen)

when its boiled down there is still an element of interpretation in there, and every person is going to view things differently.

Video referee decisions took an estimated 77 seconds last season, but the NRL is hoping that the Bunker will see those numbers slashed in 2016.

"I think 50-60 seconds is realistic for the first half of this season, but I'm very confident that we'll get better at our decision making and understanding the technology that it will reduce," Greenberg said.
He's more confident than I am. I'm predicting interminable delays while they view every angle ten times before reaching the wrong decision.

Lets hope that the 2 million dollars per year that it costs to have this video replay bunker is worth it.

I'm waiting until the inevitable Telstra stuff-up that cuts communication to the Bunker!
Then what would the NRL do? Stop the match?
We have gone down a slippery slope with technology and sport, particularly in cricket and rugby league, where the referee/umpire has been rendered almost impotent/irrelevant. Their decisions are now scrutinized like an episode from CSI in the pursuit of trying to achieve perfection.
That will never happen when you have humans, and Telstra, involved.

The Bunker ... So they just get to the right or wrong decision a little quicker its on how the Bunker team interprets the decision
I watch some NFL and they have the Bunker as well and they get decisions wrong as well
For me just a waste of money

The only way I can see consistency is if the same guys are in the bunker for every single game. (which wont happen)

when its boiled down there is still an element of interpretation in there, and every person is going to view things differently.

Pretty sure that is the idea

Patten and the other bloke are in there every game

If what todd says is true (hard to even type that)....and the bunker will make looking at decisions quicker....

Then there's no reason not to have a captains challenge in the game!

(as his complaint was it'd take too long)

Im actually impressed with it. I didnt think I would be or would like it at all but its much better than the Video Ref and seems to be more consistent with clearer pictures.

Im going to say it, I'm going to feel dirty for saying it and I am going to hate myself, but......Good decision from the NRL and well implemented

so far so good.

jennings still thought his double movement was a try. drug test for him asap!

so far so good.

jennings still thought his double movement was a try. drug test for him asap!
The look on his face, I mean that was text book before the replays. It really didn't need to go to replay it was that blatant.

the Bunker cost us last night with a wrong call
when Pereet knocked it out of taufua's hands and it was called a dropout
it was then reversed which gave them the momentum for their first try

Staff online

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8