NRL fining players

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

The Who

Journey Man

I don't believe a players should be docked for making a mistake in the heat of the battle. For long I've doubted that the players actually pay these fines, but if they do I can't believe it is legal and I can't think of another profession that does it. So, the following is what that brilliant legal mind, Google, told me:

Can an employer sue an employee for a mistake?​

Generally, it’s unusual for an employer to attempt to sue an employee for a mistake. It’s usually considered an implied term within the employment contract the employee gets indemnified against proceedings brought against them for mistakes made during their employment. As case law outlines, where the risk of a negligent act by an employee gets covered with insurance, the employer can’t look to make that employee responsible. If the employee willingly caused a situation that resulted in property damage or injury, the employer can seek to bring criminal charges against them.

I don't believe a players should be docked for making a mistake in the heat of the battle. For long I've doubted that the players actually pay these fines, but if they do I can't believe it is legal and I can't think of another profession that does it. So, the following is what that brilliant legal mind, Google, told me:

Generally, it’s unusual for an employer to attempt to sue an employee for a mistake. It’s usually considered an implied term within the employment contract the employee gets indemnified against proceedings brought against them for mistakes made during their employment. As case law outlines, where the risk of a negligent act by an employee gets covered with insurance, the employer can’t look to make that employee responsible. If the employee willingly caused a situation that resulted in property damage or injury, the employer can seek to bring criminal charges against them.
Interesting point.
Players are usually considered to be employees of their clubs, not the NRL. But maybe they are also contractors to NRL, and have agreed all conditions, including whatever sanctions the league wants to impose blah de blah blah?
Someone here will have a better idea.

Interesting point.
Players are usually considered to be employees of their clubs, not the NRL. But maybe they are also contractors to NRL, and have agreed all conditions, including whatever sanctions the league wants to impose blah de blah blah?
Someone here will have a better idea.
They are paid by the NRL.

But I’d say they are contractors , with their own tax situations , rather than being paid as a PAYG employee.

The NRL gives a grant to the club, who uses it to employ the player. But I'm guessing :)

I thought players could opt to get suspended instead of paying a fine.

Pretty sure someone from Parramatta got a few thousand dollar fine from the grand final but choose to sit out two games instead.

I guess paying a fine is preferred over sitting out a few games unless you are going to be out injured anyway.

The fines should be a percentage of the players contract instead.
A player on a million a season isn't going to care as much as a player on a minimum contract being fined $2,000.

I thought players could opt to get suspended instead of paying a fine.

Pretty sure someone from Parramatta got a few thousand dollar fine from the grand final but choose to sit out two games instead.

I guess paying a fine is preferred over sitting out a few games unless you are going to be out injured anyway.

The fines should be a percentage of the players contract instead.
A player on a million a season isn't going to care as much as a player on a minimum contract being fined $2,000.
Yes. Ryan Matterson.
I don't think the fines are working on reducing 'illegalities'. Accidents happen in a contact sport. So-called shoulder charges are a lottery.
If we have to have fines then your idea about a percentage of their salary is a good one: 1% or 2% of their salary so it doesn't hit the battlers as hard. I read recently that in a Scandinavian country (possibly Finland) they impose traffic fines in such a way and a wealthy bloke in a fancy car was fined something like $190,000 for speeding!

Current system is a joke, how can someone with 3+ offences already this season get a fine, it is obviously not a deterrent and lets serial offenders carry on their bad habits

Current system is a joke, how can someone with 3+ offences already this season get a fine, it is obviously not a deterrent and lets serial offenders carry on their bad habits
I agree, but both RCG & Sivo finally received lengthy suspensions (3 & 4 weeks respectively) after only being fined for their first 3 offences.

Perhaps if they’d been suspended the first time they wouldn’t have done it another 3 times.

Not sure what the legalities of it are but perhaps you’re using the wrong term (mistakes) to describe these actions resulting in fines?

For example, is someone fined for driving 100km in a 40km considered ‘mistaken’ or as having broken the law?

V’landys
NSW racing Jockeys get more fines than suspensions
Im sure more players are getting fined under his watch than others before him

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 99 14
7 6 1 54 14
7 5 2 36 12
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
7 4 3 49 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 3 4 17 8