NRL going to rotate clubs for Vegas

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Personally, I think it’s an imposition on clubs and I would prefer Manly not be a part of it. I’m glad we won but the travel and the logistics are disruptive. I am concerned about emotional and/or physical fallout in the opening month of the competition. I like that we play the other teams that travelled over to even the playing field somewhat, but it worries me.
Seriously.. if they keep the same schedule as round zero with a 2 week break to next match it won't be a problem for clubs
On the contrary it will be a boost
for clubs, players wanting to get a ticket and preform on the big stage, they would have huge drive and desire which equals a big pre season that sets you up for the season ahead.
And what about the player market? If Manly were to be a "home team" I guarantee our player recruitment would open new doors and players would be signing with us just knowing a Las Vegas game was part of the deal..
Personally I think winner stays on.. so Manly v Roosters next year to open the season and winner of that game plays the winner of the second match in 2026 and just continue on from there year after year.

"It's disappointing to hear from Abdo that there will be four new clubs playing in Vegas next year.
Why is the NRL rewarding other clubs, most of whom declined to be considered this season, when the four pioneering clubs took the risk to make the concept a success? It took a leap of faith for the four pioneers to upend their season for the betterment of the sport.
I was thinking of going next season presuming the four teams would remain the same. I had presumed that Easts would play South, a traditional rivalry, and we would play Brisbane. Now we'll get non deserving clubs jumping on the bandwagon. It smacks of disloyalty by the NRL to me."

Respectfully disagree.

You're entitled to your opinion, but with things like this it's good to take the Manly goggles off. And look at it from another point of view.

As a rugby league fan, I'm sorry but the other 13 clubs deserve a chance to be part of it as well. As do their players and supporters. Especially the Warriors after the COVID years in Australia, the Panthers (three premierships in a row, four grand finals in a row) and Storm.

Every club that is part of the NRL deserves a chance at it. We've had our turn. It was fun and successful.

It's disappointing to hear from Abdo that there will be four new clubs playing in Vegas next year.
Why is the NRL rewarding other clubs, most of whom declined to be considered this season, when the four pioneering clubs took the risk to make the concept a success? It took a leap of faith for the four pioneers to upend their season for the betterment of the sport.
I was thinking of going next season presuming the four teams would remain the same. I had presumed that Easts would play South, a traditional rivalry, and we would play Brisbane. Now we'll get non deserving clubs jumping on the bandwagon. It smacks of disloyalty by the NRL to me.
My understanding is that clubs will have to prove their worth in order to be selected. Not sure what the criteria is but the clubs needs to fight for their right to go, not just get picked out of a hat

Scott Penn has been trying to get the NRL and manly interested in the USA market for years and everyone laughed at him.

I agree manly should be rewarded for being the pioneer

We don’t get Anzac round or the Good Friday game or the roosters / bunnies book of feuds but we should be rewarded with the Las Vegas game since helped define the concept.
I watched a lot of the coverage and not once was this mentioned. According to the media etc it was all V’Landy’s idea.

I think Manly were rewarded with being selected to play over there for that reason, but it would have been nice to be given some credit for the idea. V’Landy should have mentioned it instead of taking all the credit

I watched a lot of the coverage and not once was this mentioned. According to the media etc it was all V’Landy’s idea.

I think Manly were rewarded with being selected to play over there for that reason, but it would have been nice to be given some credit for the idea. V’Landy should have mentioned it instead of taking all the credit
Then he wouldn’t be Peter Vee - ‘The Spiv on the Make’.

Only issue is that aren't the most atteactive team atm.

Maybe in 3-4 years when Stewart, Strange, Kaeo maybe mature
The Raiders are great at getting a good lead, then going on to lose.

That could make for a great spectacle, along with Ricky blowing his top on the sideline.;)

Would love to see state of origin go to Vegas.

They did play an origin match over there in the mid 80s.
I don’t know if it was a success but presume it must haven’t been if it’s taken 40 years to take a game back to the USA.

I would love Manly to play there every year but every team should get a game over there.
Don’t know what the criteria will be to play over there in the future will be but the roosters will secure a spot each season.

How about the magic round over there. Just a thought, would be massive.
That would mean there would be no NRL matches one week prior nor following the Vegas trip, due to the travel and promotional requirements. I can't see that being considered.

It's disappointing to hear from Abdo that there will be four new clubs playing in Vegas next year.
I was thinking of going next season presuming the four teams would remain the same. I had presumed that Easts would play South, a traditional rivalry, and we would play Brisbane. Now we'll get non deserving clubs jumping on the bandwagon. It smacks of disloyalty by the NRL to me.
Yeah, and they should rotate the teams which play Brisbane during Magic Round each year, instead of it being Manly all the time and also sacrificing our home ground advantage

While I understand the sentiment of being fair and giving all clubs an opportunity to go to Vegas, you really need to have clubs go there that will provide a spectacle to promote the game and sell it to the American market. Could you imagine what a bore it would be if you had clubs like the tigers and bulldogs there? Totally undeserving!

If LV participation was based purely on 2023 form, then only one of the four clubs involved deserved to be there: Brisbane.

Who can say where the Tigers and Bulldogs will be in a few years time?

not based purely on 2023 form, but for the past many, many years both tigers and bulldogs have been dull, insipid, boring, ad nauseous. And I can't see it changing any time soon.

"It's disappointing to hear from Abdo that there will be four new clubs playing in Vegas next year.
I was thinking of going next season presuming the four teams would remain the same. I had presumed that Easts would play South, a traditional rivalry, and we would play Brisbane. Now we'll get non deserving clubs jumping on the bandwagon. It smacks of disloyalty by the NRL to me."

Respectfully disagree.

You're entitled to your opinion, but with things like this it's good to take the Manly goggles off. And look at it from another point of view.

As a rugby league fan, I'm sorry but the other 13 clubs deserve a chance to be part of it as well. As do their players and supporters. Especially the Warriors after the COVID years in Australia, the Panthers (three premierships in a row, four grand finals in a row) and Storm.

Every club that is part of the NRL deserves a chance at it. We've had our turn. It was fun and successful.
I respect your respectful disagreement. I'll agree that any club that put its hand up to gamble (no pun intended) on the Vegas venture where it could have been an enormous drain on resources etc that they should be considered for next season.
But. I understand there was only one or two other clubs that did.
The majority of clubs put their own interests ahead of our sport. Why should they be rewarded?

You know what I don’t mind if they rotate teams. No matter who plays over there they will lift for the occasion.

I’m just happy there is a guy like Vlandys out there and there is no bias against Manly any more. I feel Manly are safe for a long time to come. I hated the Greenberg days. That guy just wanted us extinct.

Good times ahead,

NYEagle

Scott Penn cops a lot of a criticism from supporters and with the results on the field the last nine years ,the Trent Barrett debacle , rainbow gate and Des saga some of this comes with the territory.

However full credit to him with the USA strategy. He has been encouraging the nrl for a while on this and Manly were showcased right up there and put on one of our best performances in years.

Seriously he should be congratulated

I understand the merit in considering New Zealand for one of the four spots next season. That would add to the melting pot of fans attending the spectacle, plus another culture into the RL mix to intrigue Americans. Plus, the Worriers were stoic during the Covid years and this would go some way to rewarding their sacrifice.
I'd also agree that Penrith is deserving. It is currently the finest club exponent in the NRL, and next year will be unable to play at its home ground.
But Melbourne! Definitely not.
This wealthy club cheated and brought the sport into disrepute, not to mention robbed certain clubs of worthy premierships. Melbourne rarely develops a player to First Grade level, and is really just another Queensland club.
I like the idea of the two winning clubs from Vegas being invited to compete the following year, against the two most worthy clubs from the remaining 15.

Next year I'm thinking Melbourne and Penrith are walk up starts. Melbourne as the name is more identifiable to the average American than say Parramatta. And Penrith as they'll be nomadic for the early part of the season. At a guess the others may be North Queensland (they'll want a Qld side and and again Nth Qld is more identifiable) and maybe Warriors.

Seriously.. if they keep the same schedule as round zero with a 2 week break to next match it won't be a problem for clubs
On the contrary it will be a boost
for clubs, players wanting to get a ticket and preform on the big stage, they would have huge drive and desire which equals a big pre season that sets you up for the season ahead.
And what about the player market? If Manly were to be a "home team" I guarantee our player recruitment would open new doors and players would be signing with us just knowing a Las Vegas game was part of the deal..
Personally I think winner stays on.. so Manly v Roosters next year to open the season and winner of that game plays the winner of the second match in 2026 and just continue on from there year after year.
I think it's too early to call whether such an endeavour will have a negative impact on energy and performance over the next several rounds

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
7 5 2 36 12
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
6 4 2 53 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 3 4 17 8