NRL obstruction rule needs fixing: Toovey

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Chip and Chase

True Supporter
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
Tipping Member
Manly coach Geoff Toovey has urged authorities to review the obstruction ruling at the end of the NRL season after having two tries disallowed against North Queensland.

Read the full article

Manly coach Geoff Toovey has urged authorities to review the obstruction ruling at the end of the NRL season after having two tries disallowed against North Queensland.

Read the full article

What is hilarious in this artlcle is the comments from Neil Henry saying he had no problems with the decisions. That is really funny journalism. As if Henry's going to say, 'Yes, the refs got it wrong. Manly should have been awarded the tries and beaten us by 14 points instead of 2.'

What is hilarious in this artlcle is the comments from Neil Henry saying he had no problems with the decisions. That is really funny journalism. As if Henry's going to say, 'Yes, the refs got it wrong. Manly should have been awarded the tries and beaten us by 14 points instead of 2.'

Bill Harrigan as the referees boss is seriously concerning. I've always thought that bloke was a fair dinkum plonker and he proves it every week.

Bill Harrigan as the referees boss is seriously concerning. I've always thought that bloke was a fair dinkum plonker and he proves it every week.

Every week we get stronger evidence that having two refs, and a video ref, does not help the standard of officiating.

Every week we get stronger evidence that having two refs, and a video ref, does not help the standard of officiating.

niccipops said:

I was a massive fan of Billy Hollywood Harrigan when he was a referee. I thought he was easily the best getting around at the time.
As the referees boss, is it his fault the current crop aren't up to standard??
hmmm, I'm not sure..

niccipops said:

I was a massive fan of Billy Hollywood Harrigan when he was a referee. I thought he was easily the best getting around at the time.
hmmm, I'm not sure..

Clint said:
niccipops said:

hmmm, I'm not sure..

It absolutely is, it's his job to train them and qualify them. If he isn't doing that then he is failing at his job

Clint said:
niccipops said:

hmmm, I'm not sure..

It absolutely is, it's his job to train them and qualify them. If he isn't doing that then he is failing at his job

The Who said:

True, but still nothing will be done about it

Theres been a few times this year when it looked like they were getting a handle on the obstruction rule. It was a bit inconsistent from the standard set earlier in the year when any contact made meant no try, but they were actually letting it go a few times when the contact made was minimal and the defender wasn't likely to make an impact. Then we go back to some of the decisions made last night.

I'm not sure what the answer is, we'd still have issues with terrible decisions with only one ref and no video refs or any combination of the officials. That being said all we want is consistency and the only really way to do it is to tidy up the rule book and make some things more black and white and a little less grey. Although every rule change has the potential to unearth new problems. For example, everyone hates the wrestling aspect in the game these days, but without out the game would return to superleague levels of just dummy half run, after dummy half run. People say cut down the number of interchanges but rather than make it easier for the smaller guys, whereas it might actually see the death of some of the bigger more explosive guys.

In summary, yes the refs are rubbish. Always have been and probably always will be.

Theres been a few times this year when it looked like they were getting a handle on the obstruction rule. It was a bit inconsistent from the standard set earlier in the year when any contact made meant no try, but they were actually letting it go a few times when the contact made was minimal and the defender wasn't likely to make an impact. Then we go back to some of the decisions made last night.

I'm not sure what the answer is, we'd still have issues with terrible decisions with only one ref and no video refs or any combination of the officials. That being said all we want is consistency and the only really way to do it is to tidy up the rule book and make some things more black and white and a little less grey. Although every rule change has the potential to unearth new problems. For example, everyone hates the wrestling aspect in the game these days, but without out the game would return to superleague levels of just dummy half run, after dummy half run. People say cut down the number of interchanges but rather than make it easier for the smaller guys, whereas it might actually see the death of some of the bigger more explosive guys.

In summary, yes the refs are rubbish. Always have been and probably always will be.

Staff online

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 3 4 17 8
7 4 3 -8 8