NRL proposes $8.3M Salary Cap 2018

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Eagles2nv

DESpicable Manly
Apprently the initial proposal is a $8.3 million cap for 2018.

If that goes ahead some teams will be in trouble. I'm thinking the riff are one club who would be nervous. Means alot of players could be put up for sale.

With snake and skivvy off the books plus a million extra cap increase. We could be in a great position to grab some experienced forwards.

Or good chance to extend the likes of walker, afb, etc..

http://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl...y/news-story/c24176623c9b877cb0f953b9d49286f2

Last edited:
The Riff really need to win this year, if not their chance has probably passed by as yes they'll have to start unloading.

I think the panthers actually have most to all their top 20 players signed through next year.I think they have another years window after this.(I could be wrong as I am going off nrl zero tackle for contract status)Think it is only Whare and DWZ who are big names off contract this year. Hahaha self edit coming up,I just read the article and so please just disregard my entire post,carry on all......

Last edited:
Wow we will be well off, time to add some stars (priority resign majority of squad) and regain the hate

The club know that Skivvy and snake won't be on our books so would have spent accordingly for next year. Factor in the turbos increases and we may not be in any better position than anyone else. Assume we will be paying full contract for Siro also. If we were also working off at 9.5 -10 mil cap we also have some issues like most others. We actually have the least amount of players off contract, so presumably all are signed with increases to reflect the cap rise. That said the players and their union will not agree to that number

Last edited:
I saw an article earlier saying next year there may not be a cap because every them is over the new cap. Something along the lines of what the AFL is doing this year as they stuffed their cap as well

Apprently the initial proposal is a $8.3 million cap for 2018.

If that goes ahead some teams will be in trouble. I'm thinking the riff are one club who would be nervous. Means alot of players could be put up for sale.

With snake and skivvy off the books plus a million extra cap increase. We could be in a great position to grab some experienced forwards.

Or good chance to extend the likes of walker, afb, etc..

http://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl...y/news-story/c24176623c9b877cb0f953b9d49286f2
I would make signing Kelly to an extended contract my number one priority, that kid's a gun !!!

Best thing to do is frontload all the contracts next year and pay minimum contracts for following years enabling more room for the cap post years

Wouldn't matter to us as we already 1.2 million less due to the NRL being wankers about Snake and Matai.

Can someone please explain.....???

Why do the NRL announce the salary cap increase for the following season 6 rounds into the current season?
Why isn't it announced after the previous years GF so clubs signing new players or re-signing current players could take this into account when budgeting for the future salary caps? Clubs don't usually sign their top players on 1 year contracts, they sign them for 2+ years so why doesn't the release of the cap increase amount match that and be confirmed much sooner?
Why hasn't the incremental salary cap increases for the next 3-5 years been confirmed long before now?

Can someone please explain.....???

Why do the NRL announce the salary cap increase for the following season 6 rounds into the current season?
Why isn't it announced after the previous years GF so clubs signing new players or re-signing current players could take this into account when budgeting for the future salary caps? Clubs don't usually sign their top players on 1 year contracts, they sign them for 2+ years so why doesn't the release of the cap increase amount match that and be confirmed much sooner?
Why hasn't the incremental salary cap increases for the next 3-5 years been confirmed long before now?
To be fair to the NRL it all hinged on the broadcast deal as it is the main income stream. Once this was secured they had to nut out with the clubs, who were holding out signing their participation agreements and effectively holding the game to ransom how much they would get which was settled 130% of the cap in a process which took several months and candle stein meetings from both sides. Then it involved discussions with the Players Association to determine a cap. To be clear there is no cap announced for 2018. The $8.3mil is a proposal to the players association which they have said they are disappointed in and will come back after Easter with a counter offer. Either way it has a fair way to run before it is concluded and a Cap for 2018 is in place. There will no doubt be threats of player strikes and Origin boycotts before a final figure is decided which will no doubt be closer to the 10 mil the players want and the 9.5 mil the clubs have been working on.

Like usual the NRL is lagging behind the AFL who have not worked out a salary cap for the current season

To be fair to the NRL it all hinged on the broadcast deal as it is the main income stream. Once this was secured they had to nut out with the clubs, who were holding out signing their participation agreements and effectively holding the game to ransom how much they would get which was settled 130% of the cap in a process which took several months and candle stein meetings from both sides. Then it involved discussions with the Players Association to determine a cap. To be clear there is no cap announced for 2018. The $8.3mil is a proposal to the players association which they have said they are disappointed in and will come back after Easter with a counter offer. Either way it has a fair way to run before it is concluded and a Cap for 2018 is in place. There will no doubt be threats of player strikes and Origin boycotts before a final figure is decided which will no doubt be closer to the 10 mil the players want and the 9.5 mil the clubs have been working on.

The biggest issue with this cap negotiation is alot of players will go unsigned whilst this drama unfolds. If it gets resolved late in the year, there will be a player merry-go-round in a very short period whilst teams look to settle before December from 2 years worth of off contract players (remember players off contract at the end of 2018 cant be approached until Nov).

If it also ends being lower than expected, some clubs are up a chocolate stream without a paddle pop stick, adding more players to the market.

If I was the club, I would be using snakes/matais money to target 1 or 2 quality forwards, and then use the cap increase (once known) to give upgrades/fringe signings. (that's assuming we don't have big back end deals with current players).

I think the panthers actually have most to all their top 20 players signed through next year.I think they have another years window after this.(I could be wrong as I am going off nrl zero tackle for contract status)Think it is only Whare and DWZ who are big names off contract this year. Hahaha self edit coming up,I just read the article and so please just disregard my entire post,carry on all......

DWZ signed a two extension yesterday

Does that mean all clubs will have the same cap? Does it mean that 3rd party agreements will be capped for the clubs as well?

hmmm, let's just do half a job

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 99 14
7 6 1 54 14
7 5 2 36 12
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
7 4 3 49 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 3 4 17 8
8 4 4 -14 8