NRL set to investigate Orford's financial records

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

No one has mentioned the most important party in all of this, the player managers. If there is salary cap rorting occurring, as per Denton's article and the various instances sighted in the this thread, then the most complicit parties will be the player managers.

To date not one of them has blown the whistle on such "under the table dealings" . A looming court battle between Orford's past & present management. my just change all that.

Very good point Pete. The Beavis/Mimis clash could be worth the price of admission. Just hope that Manly and Orford aren't part of the collateral or fallout from the matter and that our dealings aren't underhand.

To be fair, back in the 70s and 80s, pre salary cap we were in the same place as the Rorters now!

This is purely speculation guys, but:

In 2003, we reportedly had speant $800k under the salary cap for that year. We then signed Kite / Kennedy, but we utilised much of that $800k as sign on fees, and towards their payments, which would mean in basic terms they'd be on 1.3 million odd between them over three years, or just on $200k each per year. Even if the payments weren't given to Kite & Kennedy, the $800k could have been frontloaded with our current players, having the same monetary effect.

Remember the NRL clubs whinged at that again, and the NRL said it would look into utilising previous years unutilised cap funds as sign on fees. Manly did this when it was COMPLETELY within the rules.

Therefore, you would say our 2 marquee players aren't earning that much.

We have released possibly Randall, Harris, Donald, Hoppa, Hill. I bet you'd find that if you added up all those players incomes, Orford actually fits in VERY easily, with plenty of room to spare.

I'd also think you'd find a few players like Brett Stewart, Anthony Watmough, Michael Witt, Ashley Alberts & co. were signed at very good value for money (hence why we feel the need to upgrade some of them like Bretts.)

You look at our Premier League team, and it is obvious we lack depth. We don't have the Chris Walkers & co. running around in Premier League. Crusher is looking to fix that, and it was said on the Q&A night.

To even consider we are ANYWHERE near our cap is ludicrous. I expect we will see MORE signings in the weeks to come.

Well done management. You continue to attract top quality players. Manly is a great selling point. I'd rather live here than Melbourne OR Redfern.
Well said Ryan - agree 100%

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4