Game Day: NYC2017 GF - Manly v Eels

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
http://www.nrl.com/manly-on-the-cusp-of-nyc-history /tabid/10874/newsid/112496/default.aspx

image.ashx

Manly on the cusp of NYC history
Tue 26 Sep, 2017, 10:30am
By Martin Gabor, National Correspondent‌‌, ‌‌‌NRL.com
@MartinJGabor

While most of the rugby league world focuses on the dream run of the North Queensland Cowboys, spare a thought for Manly's Holden Cup side who are on the verge of something equally special.

The Sea Eagles will take on the Parramatta Eels in the NYC grand final this weekend; an incredible thought given where they were 12 months ago.

Having made the Holden Cup decider in 2015, the Sea Eagles failed to keep that momentum going with the proud Northern Beaches club registering just three wins last season to claim the dreaded wooden spoon as they struggled to deal with life in the post-Tom Trbojevic era.

The good thing about the under-20s is that things can turn quickly, and the signs were good as Manly claimed back-to-back wins to start the new year. However, a serious leg injury to star centre Tevita Funa sparked a four-game losing streak and another bottom-eight finish loomed.

Instead, some subtle changes to the starting 13 by coach Wayne Lambkin reenergised the squad with guys like Tom Wright and Manase Fainu breathing new life into their attack to have them well and truly in finals contention.

The fact they are even in the finals is somewhat of a miracle given they only snuck into eighth spot by seven points on for-and-against after the in-form South Sydney Rabbitohs went down 40-26 while the Sea Eagles suffered a 14-point loss of their own in Round 26.

Much like the Cowboys in the NRL, no one gave Manly a hope of doing any damage in the post-season.

Fittingly, their giant-killing run started with a comfortable win over North Queensland before they thrashed the minor premiers, Cronulla, and then stormed home late to book a place in the grand final courtesy of a 34-18 win over the third-placed Dragons.

The 2014 Warriors are the only side in NYC history to win the competition from eighth place, and having silenced the doubters every step of the way in September Sea Eagles halfback Cade Cust believes they are a genuine chance to cause another upset when they meet the Eels in Sunday's grand final.

"Last year was a tough season," Cust said after his side's preliminary final win over the Dragons at Allianz Stadium.

"We only got three wins, but the majority of the same team [is here in 2017]. I think we've gone an extra gear with another pre-season and the physicality and mentality has really grown on us. The year helped and we're now in the grand final.

"It's unbelievable. We came eighth and everyone doubted us to make the grand final, but the 30-odd of us in there just had a lot of belief and that's what it came down to. We're there now so it's up to us [to finish the job].

"There weren't any doubts; we knew if we could get there then we'd be a chance. We knocked off the Cowboys, the minor premiers and now St George…anything can happen now.

"We've taken the underdog tag the whole time. We rode it the whole finals series and it seemed to work so we'll do that again in the grand final."

There have been plenty of key contributors for Manly in the post-season, but there's no denying the fact they wouldn't be preparing for a grand final had it not been for Cust's heroics last weekend.

The chief playmaker was at his mesmerising best with three breathtaking try assists before he killed off the contest with a couple of solo tries to seal man-of-the-match honours.

His performance against the Dragons capped a wonderful season that has seen him lay on a team-high 23 try assists while he's also crossed for 11 of his own; a wonderful achievement given he only made the No.7 jersey his own in Round 14.

"I've always said that I'm a half so when I got the chance to prove myself again, I just took it with both hands," he said of his second-half masterclass.

"That's a halfback's job to take control and steer the ship around and that's what happened. I got lucky a few times and I'm just happy it's done and we're in the grand final."

Cust – who was a part of the side that struggled to win a game last year – credited first-grade halfback Daly Cherry-Evans for helping him out after training sessions and added the support from the entire club was driving them through the finals.

"I've trained a few times with the NRL [squad] and Daly and Blake Green are always there to help you out. They'll stay behind to do some extra kicking so I can't thank them enough because they're role models," he said.

"They've all come down and they all get behind us like a bandwagon. There's heaps of support at the club at the moment so it's unbelievable."

Many of our Holden Cup squad are young enough to play in the Under 20s next season.
I hope we can retain the bulk of this team and bring them through our ranks, rather than have to rely on recruiting 30-year-olds from other clubs.

I'd love to see Cust come through and get the 7 when Green moves on. Daly can wear the 6 like he always should've.
Tom Wright would look good as a centre or edge forward.
Smalley may be a good replacement for Taufua if the rumours are true.
Josh Martin would have to be pretty close to getting a gig if we cop injuries.
Add Parker and Bainbridge who would've played plenty more this year if not for injury and everyone can go eat a bag about us not producing the talent.
Why did we need Blacktown again?

gf-cap.jpg

There's another reason to celebrate this year's 2017 NRL Telstra Premiership Grand Final in Sydney.

Take a piece of history home with you!

This year, each Grand Final ticket receives a limited edition commemorative Grand Final cap, produced by premium global sports lifestyle brand '47.

Holy ****!!! Where can I grab a ticket. That cap is worth the price of admission!

I'd love to see Cust come through and get the 7 when Green moves on. Daly can wear the 6 like he always should've.
Add Parker and Bainbridge who would've played plenty more this year if not for injury and everyone can go eat a bag about us not producing the talent.

I thought Jesse was the better of the twins just got injured at a bad time (back now though).

Still going to be missing 3 of our best in Paseka, Parker and Bainbridge for the big one so will be one giant effort

Guys like Fainu,Olakau'atu,Funa,Paseka,Tepu-Smith,Kioa and others are from out west,so that is probably why.It also means these guys can play a season together and develop under a coach and as a team together instead of being forced up a grade when not ready to cover injuries.The presence out west will pay off more in the future,just need them to get their sxxx together for next year...

Holden Cup Grand Final Preview: Parramatta Eels v Manly-Warringah Sea Eagles
ANZ Stadium
Sunday, 1:35pm

The biggest day of the season kicks off in style with the Parramatta Eels taking on the giant-killing Sea Eagles in the Holden Cup grand final.

There are countless reasons for you to watch the best youngsters in the game strut their stuff, and emotions will be running high with the NYC to come to an end as we know it after 10 unforgettable years.

Some of the game's elite forged their path through the under-20s competition with grand final day often tossing up the greatest storylines.

From Canberra's golden point try in the inaugural decider to the Roosters' record-breaking comeback in 2016, the NYC has been blessed with some outrageous matches on the big stage.

The teams might be different on Sunday but the stakes are equally high and you can bet there will be a play or two that we will be talking about in another 10 years' time.

Parramatta might have started the year slowly but Luke Burt's men have always been there or thereabouts in 2017 and thoroughly deserve their place in what will be the club's maiden grand final appearance.

Manly's campaign has been as rough as peak-hour traffic on Spit Road with the Sea Eagles mixing patches of brilliance with form slumps to sneak into eighth spot on for and against. They were tipped to bow out in Week One of the finals but have instead knocked out teams ranked fifth, first and third on the ladder to secure their second grand final berth in three years, just 12 months after they finished 16th.

The Eels have named a settled line up following their preliminary final win over Penrith, but you can expect a couple of late changes with Reed Mahoney likely to start at hooker, Denzal Tonise in the front row and Sean Keppie on the bench.

Why the Eels can win: He wasn't there when the Eels fell to Manly in Round 1 but the Sea Eagles won't be so lucky this time around with powerhouse winger Greg Leleisiuao ready to let loose for the blue and golds. There is no stopping Leleisiuao, with opposition defences simply hoping that they can limit his impact. In his two finals matches, the wrecking ball has run for 501 metres, scored three tries and broken 27 tackles. Not content to stay on the right wing, you can expect to see him roaming all over the field as he looks for defensive mismatches.

Why the Sea Eagles can win: Just like the Cowboys have shown in the NRL, being the underdog counts for little when you have momentum and endless self-belief. The Sea Eagles haven't just scraped their way past higher-ranked opposition; they've smashed them with wins by 14, 20 and 16 points. Despite finishing eighth, history suggests it is possible to go all the way with the 2014 Warriors defying their ranking to claim the title. Their spine is arguably the best in the competition and they have plenty of strike in the form of Tevita Funa and last week's hat-trick hero, lock Haumole Olakau'atu.

The history: Played 18; Eels 6; Sea Eagles 12. The Sea Eagles have dominated this rivalry over the years, with the bulk of Parramatta's wins coming in seasons when Manly claimed the wooden spoon.

What are the odds: The Eels have opened $1.38 favourites for the grand final with Manly likely to receive some support at the $2.93 price. Parramatta winger Greg Leleisiuao is the shortest-priced option to be first try scorer ($8.50) and last try scorer ($9).

Match officials: Referee: Phil Henderson. Assist referee: Adam Cassidy. Sideline officials: Todd Smith and Jake Sutherland.

Televised: Channel Nine – Live Coverage from 1pm. Fox Sports 2 – Live coverage from 1:30pm.

NRL.com predicts: Don't be fooled by the rankings because this Sea Eagles team is capable of anything. There's a lot to like about their attack and their spirit, but the question is whether they can produce a fourth upset in as many weeks. Even without halfback Troy Dargan, the Eels look like a well-oiled machine who can score points at the flick of a switch. Look to Reed Mahoney to have a blinder as Parramatta run out 14-point victors.

The Sea Eagles have brought back Zaan Weatherall and Josh Tuivaiti on the bench, while big man Taniela Paseka is in the reserves and is a chance to return from injury.

LAST DITCH DEFENCE THE DIFFERENCE FOR MANLY’S NYC UNDER-20S SQUAD
Jon Geddes, Manly Daily
September 27, 2017 9:56pm

THEY are the amazing statistics that demonstrate just why the spirited Sea Eagles under-20s side have made their way into Sunday’s grand final to face Parramatta.

Twelve times in their three sudden death games desperate Manly defenders have held up opposition players over their line to save tries.

“That says to me there is just a great desire when you do things like that,” said coach Wayne Lambkin.

“I’ve listened to coaches and I’ve talked to coaches and they are the signs that you look at say your team really has their heads on.

“Every try you save is one you don’t have to score.”

And Lambkin said there would be another 10 occasions they have brought down attacking players centimetres from the tryline.

“It is the resilience we have built and we are all working for each other,” Lambkin said.

Lambkin says he is proud as well as shocked about how far last year’s wooden spooners have come this season.

And he provided an insight into the dramatic turn of fortunes for the Holden Cup giant-killers which hasn’t happened overnight.

“It has taken us a long time to get to here,” Lambkin said.

“It has been a long road and a lot had to be done to that team before they ever became anything like this.

“I was hopeful we would be able to get to this stage and the timing has been perfect.”

Lambkin said when he first took over the team he thought he would see a change by about round eight — and that was pretty much how it happened.

“We started to get a few wins together and get ourselves in the eight,” he said.

“Then we fell of a little bit and now it has all come back to them.”

“I guess it is up to the opposition to stop what we are doing now

“Momentum is a great thing at this time of year.”

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/ne...d/news-story/2ec40c0eca48b50aeb89ba908a6a29b2

The kids have done such a great job to qualify for a grand final that looked so unlikely a month or so ago. It has been a real pleasure to see this run evolve and I watched them play the Panthers in the last round and we were soundly beaten and looked so out of sorts that if you have said that day we would make a grand final it would be a massive long shot.

The team is playing without fear and they have dismantled some quality teams in this run. I saw them obliterate the highly rated and premiership favorites in the Sharks and then have a win last weekend against a fresh Dragqueens side and overcome a comeback by them and win the game in the last 15 minutes through good composed play.

I saw the Whingers hammer the Riff in the other semi and they are going to be a tough opponent this week. They have a big side and their wingers are very impressive. Manly have the spine to win this game and if they can continue to control the ball and play at a high pace, they are every chance.

I look forward to seeing this match on Sunday, they are outsiders and the underdog status is really helping them.

For me games against the Whinging worms are very personal due to the history we have with them and it would be lovely to win this game against an opponent that has three times as many juniors as we have and has a much bigger budget and infrastructure at this level.

The key to this game is the start. In this grade it is all about momentum and teams tend to score points in clumps, If we can hang in there without the ball we are a chance.

Go get em boys!! Regardless of the result, you have done the club proud!!!!

Does anyone know if Tent will be in the 17?
Currently he is listed at 18 after being out for several weeks with a knee injury. If Doesn'tmatta is a big team, as I've read, then we'll need the biggest kid on the block.

HOW MATTY JOHNS HELPED A RISING SEA EAGLES STAR
Jon Geddes, Manly Daily
September 30, 2017 12:00am

NORTHERN beaches media personality and former NRL star Matty Johns has played a big role in the development of Sea Eagles young gun halfback Cade Cust.

The 19-year-old made a big statement in last week’s 34-18 under-20s preliminary final win over St George Illawarra had a hand in three tries and scored two himself.

And Cust, who will be out to again make another impact in tomorrow’s Holden Cup grand final against Parramatta, revealed that when he first moved to the northern beaches from Scone in the Hunter Valley as a 16-year-old he spent some time living with Johns and his family.

b6e400e683daa3e180b7e8acf3ea5935

Sea Eagles under-20s halfback Cade Cust hasn’t forgotten what Matty Johns did for him. .Picture: NRL Photos / Gregg Porteous

And he is very grateful Johns welcomed him into his home as that made the big transition a lot easier.

“I stayed with them for a couple of months and he was really good helping me find my feet around here,” Cust said.

“The talk around the house was always footy, footy, footy and he would give us little pointers.

“We would be watching shows and he was on TV and he was sitting on the lounge right next to me — it was pretty surreal.”

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/ne...r/news-story/1438b8c60bf0d5ead8394a1924a9025c

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/newslocal/manly-daily/sport/anthony-watmough-inspires-young-sea-eagles-grand-final-forward/news-story/5de09ae2bee2501b342bbee4fe58d2e0

ANTHONY WATMOUGH INSPIRES YOUNG SEA EAGLES GRAND FINAL FORWARD

Jon Geddes, Manly Daily
September 29, 2017 2:32pm

SEA Eagles junior Josh Martin has modelled his game on Manly legend Anthony Watmough and will be a key figure for the giant-killing under-20s in tomorrow’s grand final against Parramatta.

Martin, a product of Belrose Eagles, is living the dream of every young rugby league player on the northern beaches.

And when the workhorse backrower runs out tomorrow there will be no prouder player at ANZ Stadium.

“I’m absolutely stoked, it’s the biggest game of my career so far,” the apprentice carpenter said.

Martin started playing for Belrose when he was eight, working his way up through the Sea Eagles Harold Matthews, SG Ball and now into the Holden Cup side.

“Growing up I definitely looked up to ‘Choc’ Watmough and Jason King because he played for Belrose, ” Martin said.

“He (Watmough) and I are sort of the same size and same position.”

Like the former Kangaroo Watmough, what Martin may lack in size, he makes up for with a big heart.

“Josh has been the best trainer from day one back in November and would have missed one session through illness,” said coach Wayne Lambkin.

Martin comes up with the big numbers, will pull off 40 tackles a game and has only missed one match this season due to injury.

“He does all the little things and a lot of goes unnoticed,” Lambkin said.

As Martin laughed: “It’s head down, bum up and just do your job- you don’t get too much of the glory being another forward.”

The Sea Eagles scraped into eight spot and have worked their way into the grand final by claiming the scalps of the Cowboys (fifth), minor premiers Cronulla and the Dragons (third).

And Martin said the success definitely came down to the camaraderie within the team.

“We have pulled together, there are no individuals, it is just one team,” he said.

Martin is unsigned for next season and while he would love to stay with Manly, his rugby league future is uncertain after tomorrow.

The game kicks off at 1.30pm.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 99 14
7 6 1 54 14
7 5 2 36 12
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
7 4 3 49 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 3 4 17 8
8 4 4 -14 8