Obstruction decisions

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details

ManlyBacker

Winging it
I was watching NRL on Fox and they were discussing the obstruction rule and linking it to the way we have always understood the old shephard rule. That is, if you run behind one of your own players and the defense is at a disadvantage then it is an obstruction/shephard play.

One thing that was discussed and I thought made sense for future rulings and for fans' clear understanding is if the player receives the ball and is on the inside of the player in front running the decoy (which means that they have to run behind him to continue the play) then that is an obstruction. They showed the Inglis try against Manly at the start of the Storm game and Inglis clearly receives the ball on the inside of the decoy runner who obstructs Watmough's view of the pass. I had my doubts about how 'clean' that play was when I first saw it but Inglis had so much room it looked acceptable. For mine looking at it again it should have been No Try as it was a deliberate shephard.

Manly have been pinged for obstruction for years and this idea seems to make it it an easy assesment of the legality of a play.

Any thoughts on this or better ideas?

yeah I think that is a fair way of judging it

This rule is an massive blight on the game - basically a player can make a bad read and track a player who doesn't get the ball, and then get bumped by the player and get a penalty. A bad read is a bad read and it shouldn't be rewarded.

If an obstruction of one player standing between another takes place, fine, but very few of the disallowed tries actually take place.

I thought the disallowed Billy Slater try for Australia was a no try, but I am in the minority based on the Footy Show's thoughts. I can't see how a decoy runner can run into defenders and it is ok.

i agree with warren smith as well

easier to judge it that way.. but then again you may need a front on camera facing the goals.. NFL style.

Oh Warren Smith said it?

Then no I no longer agree. haha

Team P W L PD Pts
8 7 1 109 16
8 7 1 56 16
8 6 2 66 14
8 5 3 51 12
9 5 3 37 11
9 5 4 95 10
9 5 4 42 10
8 4 4 25 10
9 5 4 -14 10