Other Games [Round 8, 2023]

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Yeah - Barrett has got to get his head into his job!! Sitting in coaches box listening to music with his ear phones on is not a good look 😳
It's preferable to listening to Brad Arthur though surely?
Anyway it's not music, it's a self improvement tape. " You are a great coach, don't listen to what others say or look at your record, you know deep down that you are the greatest"

Hip drop should be judged on intent. Hopgood looked like he made a decision to use his body weight to weigh down the ball carrier. Haas looked like he ran full tilt in a sideways direction to stop RCG from burrowing at the line and the laws of physics caused him fall on the back on the ball carrier. I have no problem with the decisions made.

Hip drop should be judged on intent. Hopgood looked like he made a decision to use his body weight to weigh down the ball carrier. Haas looked like he ran full tilt in a sideways direction to stop RCG from burrowing at the line and the laws of physics caused him fall on the back on the ball carrier. I have no problem with the decisions made.
I hate defending a Parra player, but RCG would likely disagree with you.
‘If the other two were deemed to be hip-drops, then Hass’ one was definitely one.
The NRL are famous for coming up with some rule out of nowhere, and hammer it relentlessly
until half way through the season and common sense (and fans angst) see it magically disappear before the finals.This one will be no different. If that was the GF last night, do you think anyone would’ve been penalised, let alone binned.

Broncs were like a sprinter last night, quick out of the blocks early but ran out of puff in the second half, coming back to the field with a thump.

This hip drop is ruining the game.

Hopgood I thought was just making a tackle.

Hass made the worst attempt out of all 3 and stays on the field. No one including the bunker even knows what classifies as a hip drop
I'm surprised Hass stayed on but Im sure the ref didn't want to send another bronco at the time to the sin bin when the game was on the line.

Last edited:
ge - "I'm sick of tipping the favs and having them lose. I'm gunna pick the eels."

wakes up, logs on...

:speechless::speechless::speechless::speechless::wondering::wondering::wondering::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:@:mad:@:mad:

ps. lol, parra
I bloody well nearly changed mine at the last moment because @Mark from Brisbane had me convinced on the "other games" thread the Eels were specials. Luckily I’ve got the attention span of a goldfish and forgot to do it before kickoff.

I hate defending a Parra player, but RCG would likely disagree with you.
‘If the other two were deemed to be hip-drops, then Hass’ one was definitely one.
The NRL are famous for coming up with some rule out of nowhere, and hammer it relentlessly
until half way through the season and common sense (and fans angst) see it magically disappear before the finals.This one will be no different. If that was the GF last night, do you think anyone would’ve been penalised, let alone binned.
What transpired was unfortunate but I didn't see Haas purposefully use his body weight to make the tackle, I saw him fall over the player because of the direction and speed he was running in. When a ball carrier is moving forward slowly to make post contact meters and a defender is being dragged along and decides to use their weight to drag them down, I can understand a penalty/sin bin. However, when a player is running full tilt (RCG) and a defender is running full tilt (Haas) and the defender happens to land on the back of the ball carriers legs, I deem that an accident; an accident that has been happening for 100+ years.

I appreciate some will see it differently, but I base my opinion off the speed at which the RCG incident took place and I do not believe Haas had to time to make a conscious choice to do anything with his hips/legs. If anything, RCG caused Haas to fall and land where he did because he was attempting a 'spin' out of the tackle to crash over the line.

Last edited:
What transpired was unfortunate but I didn't see Haas purposefully use his body weight to make the tackle, I saw him fall over the player because of the direction and speed he was running in. When a ball carrier is moving forward slowly to make post contact meters and a defender is being dragged along and decides to use their weight to drag them down, I can understand a penalty/sin bin. However, when a player is running full tilt (RCG) and a defender is running full tilt (Haas) and the defender happens to land on the back of the ball carriers legs, I deem that an accident; an accident that has been happening for 100+ years.

I appreciate some will see it differently, but I base my opinion off the speed at which the RCG incident took place and I do not believe Haas had to time to make a conscious choice to do anything with his hips/legs. If anything, RCG caused Haas to fall and land where he did because he was attempting a 'spin' out of the tackle to crash over the line.
If Mam wasn’t sent for 10 only a minute previously, Hass goes for sure. RCG has a fractured hip and will be out for months. That is not a common injury. Hips are not easy to break. That’s why you see a lot of players lead with their hip, and a lot of the time you see players ending up knocked out or HIA’d when their head contacts the hip.
Haas has been suspended for a week along with Mam. Haas should have a ticket in tonight’s Gold Lotto imo.

If Mam wasn’t sent for 10 only a minute previously, Hass goes for sure. RCG has a fractured hip and will be out for months. That is not a common injury. Hips are not easy to break. That’s why you see a lot of players lead with their hip, and a lot of the time you see players ending up knocked out or HIA’d when their head contacts the hip.
Haas has been suspended for a week along with Mam. Haas should have a ticket in tonight’s Gold Lotto imo.
The good news is RCG has been cleared of a broken hip, but I don't think severity of injury is a basis for determining whether it's a hip drop or not. Haas weighs 120kg so I would suspect that kind of weight will cause injury regardless of accidental or deliberate contact.

I agree that Haas would have been binned had it not been for earlier Mam's hip drop, because the NRL are clearly unsure where they stand right now and that's a worry.

I am not suggesting that I am right and respect that you see the issue differently...personally, I just worry that we are heading down a very dangerous path and the game is not going to be able to suddenly adjust and we are going to have results determined by unavoidable accidents. I hope the laws of physics remain a basis for drawing up a rule book at NRL HQ.

The good news is RCG has been cleared of a broken hip, but I don't think severity of injury is a basis for determining whether it's a hip drop or not. Haas weighs 120kg so I would suspect that kind of weight will cause injury regardless of accidental or deliberate contact.

I agree that Haas would have been binned had it not been for earlier Mam's hip drop, because the NRL are clearly unsure where they stand right now and that's a worry.

I am not suggesting that I am right and respect that you see the issue differently...personally, I just worry that we are heading down a very dangerous path and the game is not going to be able to suddenly adjust and we are going to have results determined by unavoidable accidents. I hope the laws of physics remain a basis for drawing up a rule book at NRL HQ.
Mams was a penalty, Haass was an unfortunate accident. Hopgoods was a non event. None were send offs.

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8
7 3 3 20 7
7 3 4 31 6