Parra VS Penrith

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

eelcatcher

Reserve Grader
Ok this is worrying, Parra won both their trial games too and they trashed the Panthers 30-0, to be honest should we be worried about them (the Eels)? Like they have a new look team, new coach etc....

There are still question marks over their halves and their outside backs (excluding Hayne), but they certainly looked like a well-drilled team against Penrith (who were a rabble and wouldn't have scored even if they'd had another 80 minutes).

Parra or Souths would be the fairytale result for the NRL this year. Personally, I don't believe in fairytales.

However, they are equal leaders at this stage and pretty much anything can happen (except a Sharks premiership of course).

In 2005 we smashed the Tigers in a trial and I suggested here that they were good money to win the spoon. The Roosters did likewise to us in 2007 up at Gosford and some wrote us off. Tigers won that year and we were Grand-finalists.

Trial form tells you how well you play in Trials. It is a long season. The team playing best in September will win it.

Penrith are going to take a big fall this year.  I'm fine with the Eels looking okay now - their fans get excited which makes it even funnier when they fall in a heap.

eelcatcher link said:
Ok this is worrying, Parra won both their trial games too and they trashed the Panthers 30-0, to be honest should we be worried about them (the Eels)? Like they have a new look team, new coach etc....

Eels were flogged in a trial against the Warriors

Much to my displeasure I fear that the Eels will be the real deal in 2011.
Their best signing is Stephen Kearney, I feel he has the making of a quality coach.

eelcatcher link said:

They have taken the choker tag from the dragons. What are you worried about? They are only trial matches.

manlyborn link said:
Much to my displeasure I fear that the Eels will be the real deal in 2011.
Their best signing is Stephen Kearney, I feel he has the making of a quality coach.
Agree on the assessment of Kearney.  What impact his departure from the Storm?

eelcatcher link said:

Norths used to win trial games by big margings as well.

Parra will start the season strongly for a game or two but any side containing Jeff Robson, Chris Walker and Carl Webb cannot be taken seriously as a title contender no matter who the coach is

tookey link said:
[quote author=eelcatcher link=topic=186570.msg318215#msg318215 date=1298802006]

Parra will start the season strongly for a game or two but any side containing Jeff Robson, Chris Walker and Carl Webb cannot be taken seriously as a title contender no matter who the coach is

[/quote]
Short Memory. Chris Walker. 6 soo appearances, 4 tries. 2 grand final appearances, 2 tries. Carl Webb. 1 appearance for the Kangaroos, 15 soo appearances. Will reach 200 premiership games this season if fit. There might be better players around but these guys have been there and done it.

Fonz link said:
[quote author=tookey link=topic=186570.msg318298#msg318298 date=1298847877]
[quote author=eelcatcher link=topic=186570.msg318215#msg318215 date=1298802006]

[/quote]
Short Memory. Chris Walker. 6 soo appearances, 4 tries. 2 grand final appearances, 2 tries. Carl Webb. 1 appearance for the Kangaroos, 15 soo appearances. Will reach 200 premiership games this season if fit. There might be better players around but these guys have been there and done it.
[/quote]

Walker last played SOO in 2002 and Webb in 2005.  Both are on the wrong side of 30 and haven't done anythign of note for years. 

Walker played the last 2 years with Catalans and Webb made no impact during his time at the cowgirls.  That says it all.

Walker played soo in 2003 as well but that's beside the point. I just think you're a little harsh to judge them in that way. There are plenty players that are on thr high side of 30 that are still killing it. Hope they don't prove you wrong.

I somehow doubt that they will prove me wrong. 

With all the juniors and Parra have I think that they would have been better off using their juniors rather than sign these blokes. 

I would be pissed off if Manly signed them instead of using say oldfield/Hoppa jnr and Lussick/Cunningham

Trials tell you nothing. They are a warm up where teams run everyone around on the park and you don't really get much of the full combination.

Eels will do alright this year but I don't know that they can sustain it. Panthers. Well who knows, losing in trials is one thing, but not scoring a try is pretty telling also. But who knows if they both had their A side on at the same time, or whether the Panthers had their juniors up against the Eels A side

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 3 4 17 8
7 4 3 -8 8
8 4 4 -60 8