Plan to use GPS technology in NRL footballs to track forward passes

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
This whole thing is a joke. The ball can legally be passed back, or flat and travel forward due to momentum, this technology wouls register it as forward.

The biggest joke about this is that GPS isn't accurate. The best GPS in the world is acurate to approximately 1.7metres, with the average in car GPs be acurate to just over 2 metres. The majority of forward passes and in the centimetres range so whats the point?

GPS is much more accurate then that, I think they limit the accuracy of civilian GPS for some safety reason. Even in the article they are claiming centimetre order of accuracy.

Captain of the Gate said:
This whole thing is a joke. The ball can legally be passed back, or flat and travel forward due to momentum, this technology wouls register it as forward.

The biggest joke about this is that GPS isn't accurate. The best GPS in the world is acurate to approximately 1.7metres, with the average in car GPs be acurate to just over 2 metres. The majority of forward passes and in the centimetres range so whats the point?

As good as Tony and hours wireless interwebs

This one is accurate to 1cm it says so in the article. That is enough for a correct decision and can tell you which way the ball travelled out of the hands.

Daniel said:
This one is accurate to 1cm it says so in the article. That is enough for a correct decision and can tell you which way the ball travelled out of the hands.

Game of millimetres

Even a metre consists of millimetres

To calculate GPS accuracy you use a military balistics measurement called 'circular error probable', or CEP. What a CEP does is factor in that the chances of hitting are target directly are severely minimal, so you create a circular distance from zero hit point, if it hits with 50% of your circular distace from point zero its considered accurate. The CEP of a GPS means you get a "correct reading" within a 2 metre radius.

For those who don't believe me, as obviously I'm not an expert, here is a quote from a mathematical study into GPS accuracy entitled 'GPS Accuracy: Truths and Myths in the Maths' done by an American Road data and management company in which they sampled common road GPS and high end military tech:

"One of the more common "gotchas" in describing GPS accuracy is the occupation time required to achieve the claimed accuracy. Be wary if the device does not explicitly state how long you must occupy a location in order to achieve a particular accuracy. In the best case scenario, the required occupation time might be as little as one second. However, several systems that tout sub-meter accuracy are only able to achieve this after a stationary occupation of at least several minutes."

In the case of a football game where the ball is in constant movement in a running player's hands, then quickly changes directions in a fraction of a second as it is passed to another player I will never trust it and don't think it should be implemented. I'm not against technology upgrades for the game, but this one just doesn't stack up for me. The technology isn't sofisticated enough.

Did you happen to check the dates on that article?

Well I imagine they will trial it, if a pass looks forward by about 1.9 metres and the GPS says it was fine then perhaps they will have second thoughts.

I think Oldfield should be given a GPS to help him locate the ball, he didn't seem to know where it was just before half-time.

Would have been interesting to see what it made of the Stewart to Hopoate pass. A lot was said about the possibility of that ball being forward but it looks backwards out of the hands from every angle i have seen

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8