PLAYER MOVEMENT

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

NZEaglesFan

Reserve Grader
Just wondering if we have a list of players that we know who are definitely leaving the club next year. I know that Joel Thompson is leaving and we have may Brendan Elliot, Albert Hopoate, Danny Levi, Luke Metcalf, Corey Waddell and T-Rex who are also off contract.

My questions is, who do we sign and how much money would be have?

My preference would be Brandon Smith (well we can all dream) and maybe Foz if he comes cheap and if possible keep Albert Hopoate and Danny Levi.

A good hooker please. Even though there’s only 3-4 proper good ones in the league at the moment. Surely we can unearth someone or bring out the best in a young guy with potential. B Smith would be excellent, I would even allow Cam to finish his career with a premiership here before Fainu takes back over.

Just wondering if we have a list of players that we know who are definitely leaving the club next year. I know that Joel Thompson is leaving and we have may Brendan Elliot, Albert Hopoate, Danny Levi, Luke Metcalf, Corey Waddell and T-Rex who are also off contract.

My preference would be Brandon Smith (well we can all dream) and maybe Foz if he comes cheap and if possible keep Albert Hopoate and Danny Levi.
We have 36 players on our roster and still haven't seen 11 of them. How can we judge if they are worthy of a spot next year?

Foz to 6.
Levi and Cust to share hooker until Fainu is back. Levi starts for 20 mins and Cust runs a muck the last 60. Cust would be as good a #9 as anyone we would buy.
Get a Croker replacement as our back up.

Sign Hoppa and bring up Schuster. Make a decision around Metcalfe, if he's not in our plans than replace him too.
The rest is ok

A good hooker please. Even though there’s only 3-4 proper good ones in the league at the moment. Surely we can unearth someone or bring out the best in a young guy with potential. B Smith would be excellent, I would even allow Cam to finish his career with a premiership here before Fainu takes back over.
S cam...a Sea Eagle? Wash your mouth out with soap you horrid little boy!

I feel Levi will grow enough here to be enough and our biggest problems are elsewhere. But WTF do I know.

Hopefully we keep Albert.

The number 9 is an interesting one now with Manase gone for most of 2021, not sure if Levi is worth anymore then 250K. Jack Birt very young but a chance of good enough.

I would think that maybe Birt, S Fainu and Tuitavake would be added as development players, Titmus and Saddler into the 30. Maybe Miski moves on also off contract as a development player.

I would think Sipley maybe given an opportunity to move on also if he can find something due to the forward depth we have.

Priorities sort out the number 9 and have options with injuries there, one more decent winger.

Foz to 6.
Levi and Cust to share hooker until Fainu is back. Levi starts for 20 mins and Cust runs a muck the last 60. Cust would be as good a #9 as anyone we would buy.
Get a Croker replacement as our back up.

Sign Hoppa and bring up Schuster. Make a decision around Metcalfe, if he's not in our plans than replace him too.
The rest is ok
Perfect short term solution!
Foran is fit and healthy AND playing great footy.
He would solve our backline yips in a heartbeat.
With Tom back and an emerging Hoppa,,,DCE playing time his strengths. Cust 14
We could be in for an excellent 2 years and possibly a title

Foran wants a three year contract, which is two-and-a-half years too long imo. He won't last.
Also, if you have him at 5/8 it blocks the careers of Con and The Shoe, both of whom are looked upon as future stars.
Is Con prepared to be a super-sub?
Is the Shoe prepared to wait until his preferred 5/8 spot becomes available? Or do you try him out as a second-rower or lock?
IMO the only sensible approach is to give some of our untried 11 a chance in the top 17. By seeing how they play Manly will be in a far more knowledgeable position to judge their worth for 2021. It will also aid decision-making about what positions we need to strengthen.

Re the argument for not bringing in too many young players all at once. Is this also creating a problem when the older players finally get released, we will lose all the older players and have a similar problem to the donkeys, lots of young players and no one to lead/mentor them

Re the argument for not bringing in too many young players all at once. Is this also creating a problem when the older players finally get released, we will lose all the older players and have a similar problem to the donkeys, lots of young players and no one to lead/mentor them
It's a BS argument. We have plenty of senior players to guide and mentor players like Hoppa, Schuster, Metcalf, Miski. I just don't get it. We've got injuries or poor perforners in those positions and Des wants to continue with proven plodders instead of trying some new talent. That's why we're an also ran.

Foran wants a three year contract, which is two-and-a-half years too long imo. He won't last.
Also, if you have him at 5/8 it blocks the careers of Con and The Shoe, both of whom are looked upon as future stars.
Is the Shoe prepared to wait until his preferred 5/8 spot becomes available? Or do you try him out as a second-rower or lock?
IMO the only sensible approach is to give some of our untried 11 a chance in the top 17. By seeing how they play Manly will be in a far more knowledgeable position to judge their worth for 2021. It will also aid decision-making about what positions we need to strengthen.
I agree. 2 years or nothing

It's a BS argument. We have plenty of senior players to guide and mentor players like Hoppa, Schuster, Metcalf, Miski. I just don't get it. We've got injuries or poor perforners in those positions and Des wants to continue with proven plodders instead of trying some new talent. That's why we're an also ran.

Not talking about this year but it is going to be a major problem in a couple of years time

I have mentioned on here previously we should have had Funa and Guacamole, in the team at the beginning of the year and used the older/plodders as backup. If we had done that then bringing in another couple of the younger players in now would not be an issue to the balance. Shame des doesn’t see it that way

I get why there are calls to try out Hoppa and Schuster... but Metcalf? He would be absolutely smashed at fullback.

Even the Warriors didn’t pick Hoppa this week. Why not? It’s not like they are in the hunt for a top eight spot.

I get why there are calls to try out Hoppa and Schuster... but Metcalf? He would be absolutely smashed at fullback.

Even the Warriors didn’t pick Hoppa this week. Why not? It’s not like they are in the hunt for a top eight spot.
Hoppa will be selected on the wing next round as Jennings' four-match loan to the Worriers ends this weekend.

Would have been a bit rich to dump players from a winning team to bring in a 4 week loaner.

One week to get used to their systems, then in next week when Jennings is off

Hoppa will be selected on the wing next round as Jennings' four-match loan to the Worriers ends this weekend.
I get why people are frustrated. Losing sucks and we have a few really talented young guys who are not getting a run. Unfortunately, there has been a lack of footy for a lot of fringe/prospect players with the NSW Cup being suspended.

Hoppa May kill it, but he is coming back from two very serious injuries and has not yet played a single minute against men. Josh Schuster is a back rower/six... so the wing problem we are faced with can’t be fixed by him either.

Funa has been getting a go and is progressing nicely.

Hopefully, we win tonight.

I'm happy to leave the decisions to those in charge. It's what they're paid to do.

But can the club give us something ?

At the moment, it's a bit like "same sh1t, different day".

Blood someone, go to market or tell us we don't have the money to look at new signings. I can't deal with the deafening silence. Bring back the member's forum.

Foran for 3 years is not too long in my opinion especially at 1 mil for 3 years.
Cust is only young and will get plenty of game time at #14 and cover for hooker and halves. Cust didn't sign a starting 5/8 contract and is obviously happy being back up or he wouldn't have re signed. Schuster is going to be a ball playing backrower/ lock. Foran would not be holding him back either.
With Fainu missing next year too it makes perfect sense to use Levi and Cust as our hookers and sign Foz as our 5/8.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 99 14
7 6 1 54 14
7 5 2 36 12
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
7 4 3 49 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 3 4 17 8
8 4 4 -14 8