Poll added - Sea Eagles Everyone in League jersey

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details

how does this play out?

• the religious 7 ride into the sunset and never play for Manly again

Votes: 12 6.3%
  • the religious 7 are all reinstated next week with no hard feelings

Votes: 132 69.1%
  • Vlandys goes ahead with his Pride Round next year

Votes: 36 18.8%
  • Manly use the Everyone in League jersey forever more

Votes: 9 4.7%
  • one or 2 of the 7 are sacked as ringleaders

Votes: 5 2.6%
  • all or most accept some enlightenment on the issue and will wear the jersey in future

Votes: 27 14.1%
  • Manly never mention Everyone in League again...

Votes: 34 17.8%
  • Several players sek immediate release from Manly

Votes: 23 12.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Because faith is a choice and sexuality is not?

I am not a religious person but what I believe separates myself from those who are is their choice to believe in a higher power etc. Sexuality is not a choice
Some may argue that faith is not a choice

My family are catholic. My understanding of the Christian faith is that God is tolerant and forgiving. Once you reject someone because their life and choices do not adhere to your beliefs (although totally legal) then you have entered the realms of fanaticism. Ironically the Christian faith revolves around forgiveness and the stance of rejection does not. I have learnt that sexuality for the majority of folks is not a choice they are what they are wired to be at birth and that can't be changed only masked. We should not judge nor reject people due to their sexuality but embrace them like any other human being. This stance reeks of immaturity and hypocriticism. I doubt very much the boys making this stand have lived a life without what their religious beliefs consider sinful behavior. They should pull their heads in. They need to remember they are paid to be sportsman not politicians and not religious prophets. Do your job and earn your money. Rather than letting your club down, letting your team mates down and letting your supporters down.

Great....Penn is in the media.

And as we all know, if that merkin is in the media, it's never a good time for Manly.
@mave, you are 100% accurate on both counts. It's never a good thing for Manly when Penn is on the media podium. I hope it will be just a prepared statement, and he won't be taking any questions? And yes Penn is definitely a merkin.

PVL on the money here

"So we don’t want to have politics involved. But this isn’t politics, recognising and respecting fellow human beings and being inclusive, I do not believe is political."
what these players have done
Inadvertently.
They swung people the other way.

Yesterday morning I was meh not another bloody jersey and so we really need a pride one. The reaction of these guys made me feel Like maybe we do need this jersey.

I occasionally post in the Whirlpool NRL Forum. Generally, I'm not fond of that forum as much of the discussion is excessively flippant and most of the posters are Manly bashers. However, with this issue, discussion has become more considered than usual and also appears to be less polemic than much of the current Silvertails discussion. I guess it is easier to be objective when emotional attachment to a team is not present :)

Personally, I'm going to be boycotting this game on Thursday. I'm a ticketed member and I attend every single home game (and a few away games) sitting on the hill, rain hail or shine. But I want to send a message to the idiots in management who came up with this to say that I don't agree with using our Manly colours and jersey to promote what I believe is a political movement promoting one small section of the community - and masquerading it as 'inclusivity'. This is not about inclusivity at all. It's very focused on the LGBTQ+ community and that's it.

We're already a very inclusive club and sport. Indeed we're an inclusive society. But the beauty of Sport is exactly that - come one, come all, we're all welcome to play, watch and enjoy sport no matter who or what you are. We don't need to promote one small very focused LGBTQI+ agenda to 'prove' to the world how inclusive we are.

Let me be totally clear - I have no issue with the individuals in that particular community or for the matter with any other part of our community. No issue at all. But this is a political message by one section of society with a clear agenda - and anyone who opens their eyes can see that this agenda is permeating through every part of society. And political agendas do not belong in sport.

What's more it's a classic example of meaningless, worthless woke virtue signalling at its best - which also does not belong in sport - or anywhere for that matter.

And before the critics compare it to Women in league round, Indigenous round or ANZAC round, just consider that these rounds are as much appreciation rounds as anything else. We appreciate GREATLY the contribution that women, Indigenous people and ANZACs have made to both the game of Rugby League and to our society in general. I'm sorry, but to compare the contribution that the LGBTQI+ community has made to rugby league and to society in general, is ridiculous. This pride jumper is not about appreciation - the other rounds/jumpers are about appreciation.

In saying that, the indigenous round has certainly been hijacked more and more over the years by political agendas. And to me, that also puts a sour taste in my mouth about indigenous round. Politics doesn't belong in sport. Look at the division it's caused just over this one issue - just on this forum alone?! We all love the Sea Eagles, we all want to see them succeed. Yet there's people turning on each other, name calling, vitriol - all of which I'm sure will appear now on this thread. Are those attitudes inclusive or tolerant??

This round is already Women in League round. So why are we detracting from that by introducing this other aspect to our jersey? Furthermore, the game was supposed to be the first ever Gotch For Life game and now that cause has also been swamped and wiped out of people's minds - to the detriment of they efforts to raise awareness and funds for mental health issues affecting ALL people.

The last point I'd make is that this is a monumental **** up by management and someone needs a rocket in there at HQ. How this could be allowed to get to this stage without EVERYONE being consulted, is just beyond my comprehension. Whilst I don't agree with the players reasons for wanting to sit out this round, I agree with their right to do so. And those calling for them to be sacked and calling them weak etc, are directing their anger in the wrong direction in my opinion. The idiots in the marketing department or whoever came up with this, are the ones to blame for this. If we lose this game on Thursday it'll be on them.

I won't be attending the game on Thursday as a (very small) protest/message to management that the Manly colours and Jersey are not the play thing of some person or group of people in management, to be used to promote one particular agenda or another. I call on anyone who thinks the same to also boycott the game and to send a message to management that this is not on. I'll also be writing a letter of complaint.

I'll be watching the game in TV and cheering our boys on as loudly as ever!

MANLY FOREVER.🦅🦅🦅

Cue abuse.

what these players have done
Inadvertently.
They swung people the other way.

Yesterday morning I was meh not another bloody jersey and so we really need a pride one. The reaction of these guys made me feel Like maybe we do need this jersey.
I agree - this jersey has brought to the forefront an attitude I find hard to believe still exists among young people today.

Rightly or wrongly, the decision by the club to play in this jersey has opened up a discussion that is obviously sorely needed.

How religion can wax lyrical about peace & love to all yet still not accept gay people as equal humans is mind-boggling.

I'm over the hypocrisy. I see it from both sides. Ultimately, the club wasn't exactly being 'inclusive' when they opted to exclude the playing group from any form of discussion surrounding this decision.
Exactly.

If Penn thought this through, he might have considered that recruiting/re-signing certain players just became more challenging.

I don’t agree with the latter’s take on homosexuals etc. But there is no excuse for not consulting with all of the players beforehand.

It smacks of hubris.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
8 7 1 109 16
8 7 1 56 16
8 6 2 66 14
8 5 3 51 12
9 5 3 37 11
9 5 4 95 10
9 5 4 42 10