Poor Match Fitness

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
You can have the best fitness guy in the business, if the players aren't buying into it, i.e. bad culture, etc., there is no amount of work that he can do to change that.
There was a lot of talk about Brett spitting the dummy pre-injury, is this attitude, and taking shortcuts, something that could have affected the fitness of the team from the pre-season?

If Manly need/want a new fitness coordinator or trainer......

Matt Ballin.

The guy is a fully qualified PT and he knows what it takes in the world of the NRL.
If not ready now at least make him assistant..

Matty Ballin was like guys such as Des Hasler and Wayne Pearce were back in the day, a fitness freak who could go all day provided he wasn't injured.

And what's more is that he still obviously is a Manly man at heart. Still contracted to the Tigpies yet turns up no worries to Killer's last home game even though Killer wasn't actually playing.

I'd sign him up in a heartbeat. Besides that though, he could teach Api a thing or too about passing from dummy half......

Donny Singe. I claimed Hiku was overweight, and Lussick would need whipping into shape after Parra.

Hindsight's a wonderful thing. I don't think many (including me), realised what we had until it was gone.

If Donny Singe was Business Class, Dan Ferris is the dead set luggage department.

There's a reason Titans staff / players talk about how their fitness and health has now improved with Ferris gone, and we now look like crap.

+ Bring back Donny (Ballin assistant)
+ Replace Siebold with proven talent
+ **** off Cartwright, and bring back Penna as Barrett's assistance & also to coach NSW Cup or NYC.

Need some stability. Ferris really needs to go.

Looked pretty fit on Sunday, Panthers ran out of steam, another 40 minutes and we would have run them down.

If Manly need/want a new fitness coordinator or trainer......

Matt Ballin.

The guy is a fully qualified PT and he knows what it takes in the world of the NRL.
Most people at a Fitness First or Curves are qualified PT's, doesn't mean they should be looking after an NRL squad.

I'd give Ferris the benefit of another year, especially when they don't have to try to tailor a program for the joke draw/5 day turnarounds. A lot of what they did pre season was with an eye on that and trying not to over burden the players. Did it work? No, and I'm sure they'd agree, but no one else had really had to create anything for something like that (especially at the front of the season) before. They didn't know how players would react or what impact injuries would have etc etc. Lot of unknowns. A more stable draw should lead to a normalised pre-season and with that we can judge the team on their merits.

Or just say they are all ****, Penn, Zorba and Bozo know **** all and Barrett should be sacked...

Most people at a Fitness First or Curves are qualified PT's, doesn't mean they should be looking after an NRL squad.

I'd give Ferris the benefit of another year, especially when they don't have to try to tailor a program for the joke draw/5 day turnarounds. A lot of what they did pre season was with an eye on that and trying not to over burden the players. Did it work? No, and I'm sure they'd agree, but no one else had really had to create anything for something like that (especially at the front of the season) before. They didn't know how players would react or what impact injuries would have etc etc. Lot of unknowns. A more stable draw should lead to a normalised pre-season and with that we can judge the team on their merits.

Or just say they are all ****, Penn, Zorba and Bozo know **** all and Barrett should be sacked...
I'm not a Barrett, Penn, Bozo or Zorba basher; however, your points whilst they have some merit, still don't address the fact that the Titans have struggled in this area for years under him and we signed him. Titans then see a significant uplift in this area, as shown by their performance on field and statements from both the coach and players.

Five day turnarounds are something to be aware of and might result in the tweaking of a plan; but not a completely new and untried approach for an entire season when these were only experienced at the start.

I think it is fair to say that our fitness was clearly lacking and that had a flow-over affect on our defence, decisions under fatigue etc. It's not the only reason we were poor of course, but certainly a factor that needs addressing.

I'm not a Barrett, Penn, Bozo or Zorba basher; however, your points whilst they have some merit, still don't address the fact that the Titans have struggled in this area for years under him and we signed him. Titans then see a significant uplift in this area, as shown by their performance on field and statements from both the coach and players.

Five day turnarounds are something to be aware of and might result in the tweaking of a plan; but not a completely new and untried approach for an entire season when these were only experienced at the start.

I think it is fair to say that our fitness was clearly lacking and that had a flow-over affect on our defence, decisions under fatigue etc. It's not the only reason we were poor of course, but certainly a factor that needs addressing.
Titan's can say what they want now - they benefitted from our, the Roosters and Souths (probably the Warriors too) failing to live up to expectations. Otherwise they'd be outside the 8 like normal and nothing much to write home about. They also benefit from Toddy sliding them Peats and Hayne.

Conspiracies aside, the "plan" actually impacts quite a lot of the past season. Because it wasn't just about planning for that part of the draw, it's about how you come out of it too. Unfortunately for us, whenever we gained any traction in fielding a stable squad (due to the ridiculous injury toll), we'd lose a key man and be scrambling again.

Either way, as I said I'm happy to see how they run next year before calling for "stability" by sacking everyone and rehiring people that were sacked the year before @:D@:D@:D

Titan's can say what they want now - they benefitted from our, the Roosters and Souths (probably the Warriors too) failing to live up to expectations. Otherwise they'd be outside the 8 like normal and nothing much to write home about. They also benefit from Toddy sliding them Peats and Hayne.

Conspiracies aside, the "plan" actually impacts quite a lot of the past season. Because it wasn't just about planning for that part of the draw, it's about how you come out of it too. Unfortunately for us, whenever we gained any traction in fielding a stable squad (due to the ridiculous injury toll), we'd lose a key man and be scrambling again.

Either way, as I said I'm happy to see how they run next year before calling for "stability" by sacking everyone and rehiring people that were sacked the year before @:D@:D@:D
Titan's have had a new resolve in defence and look fitter in my view - they were easy beats previously who often got towelled up. This year they were always putting up a good fight, winning close games etc, so I wouldn't underplay their achievements.

I totally agree about the injuries - no team can expect to be top 8 in my view when they have so many injuries to key personnel for the duration that we experienced. Having said that; our fitness was clearly lacking regardless, and my point is that I would like to have seen someone brought in who has serious runs on the board if you are going to say goodbye to an experienced campaigner like Singe. I have no problem moving him on if the club felt it was the right thing to do, just bring in someone from a proven team who are known for their fitness and physical toughness.

As you say, next year will show whether lessons have been learned and improvements made, or whether further changes will need to be made in this area.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4