Post-Game Discussion Post-Game Discussion - Titans V Manly [Round 7, 2024]

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
Game Information

Titans
Vs
Sea Eagles
30 Cbus Super Stadium
20 Apr 2024 17:30
80:00 minute

Match Stats

I take Matterson not being used as a positive. I was very worried about him in the forward rotation. He was obviously there as a backup only.
His inclusion was an odd decision . After the wahs game + travel we were always going to be tired. Add in lodge coming back and Woods who’s the most mobile fella, the bench selection was an odd one.
Would think would have been better off shifting Lawton to an edge and having Waddell in the middles rotation
And then bringing the Kum onto the bench to give frog a rest

I'm trying to find a positive out of tonight's game.
Besides struggling to get the 2 points every team above us has had a bye.
Forster eagle summed it up:
Also, a bit of a hangover from the tough GP Warriors game. We'll take the 2pts and head back south to Brookie.
Absolutely. Manly were the only team that won from last week's slog, that was the extra time games. All 4 teams gave up more than 30 points and Manly had to get on a plane to start this week's prep a day late. There is no way we win this game last year. Yep....a ****ty win, but a win none the less

We got the win and any win in the NRL comes hard, the Titans were desperate and at home, it wasn't pretty but that was a massive win.. the boys held them out for last15 mins and that takes massive effort

Yet again Manly raced out to a good lead and lost it. Against Dragons, Eels & NZ it was from a sudden run of opposition penalties and six again calls.

Except this time it was Manly's own fault.

At 6-0 up at the next set Manly just rolled up field through the Titans and ended up with another try and 10-0. Then from the kickoff Manly is tackled on halfway and its only tackle #3. Titans have the hippy hippy shakes.

So someone explain why Croker at dummy half on tackle #3 decided to kick the ball to the Titans? Sure it was a long kick, but referees only give penalties and six agains to the team in possession. Manly threw away on tackle #3 the possibility of again rolling through the Titans defence or getting a penalty or a six again. Instead the Titans were next to score and were back in the game.

Last edited:
Forster eagle summed it up:

Absolutely. Manly were the only team that won from last week's slog, that was the extra time games. All 4 teams gave up more than 30 points and Manly had to get on a plane to start this week's prep a day late. There is no way we win this game last year. Yep....a ****ty win, but a win none the less

We got the win and any win in the NRL comes hard, the Titans were desperate and at home, it wasn't pretty but that was a massive win.. the boys held them out for last15 mins and that takes massive effort
Yep & some say the only positive is the 2 points.

Pffffft

We have an awful lot of things to improve on, and are far far FAR from a perfect side , HOWEVER, look who we have played to date. Then consider that all above us have their bye points . Then add our bye points in , and guess we we are.

SECOND.

And they still aren’t happy .

****ing hard markers.

The highest scoring teams in the comp are Broncos 182 and Manly 181. Cowboys on 177 play today.
Interestingly, unlike Cows and Broncos, Manly hasn't flogged anyone yet. The only 13+ Manly win was vs Penrith (32-18).
Manly though is 5th for most points allowed by opposition.
Manly is 181 points for and 156 against.
The 1st placed Storm is 118 for and 98 against.

Last edited:
Post game thoughts, mine are these...
It was close, but happy to get the win.
N.Brown makes a big difference to tempo & aggression when he's playing.
Des has a few losses (I read online it's 13) in a row now - wondering what the record for the most losses by a F.G.coach?
Brian Kelly is an 'angry man'.
Saab's fast - but also a poser.

Des has a few losses (I read online it's 13) in a row now - wondering what the record for the most losses by a F.G.coach?
I think Brian , having played for us , took everything pretty personally and let emotion take over at some stages.

I think Brian , having played for us , took everything pretty personally and let emotion take over at some stages.
Here’s the thing though: he wanted to leave Manly and go back to Bumpkin Town. He wasn’t sacked by the club, so why - as BOTH alluded to - is he so worked up in games vs Manly?

I can understand if a player like Gutherson carries on a bit when he comes up against Manly. Or maybe Jacob Preston. Two players who grew up wanting to play for their senior club, however due to differing circumstances, find themselves playing elsewhere.

So get over yourself, ‘Chip’ Kelly.

Just one of those games where the Titans were never going to go away , difficult playing conditions at times but just doing enough in getting the 2 points was all that counted in the final washup
Bit off with some of the defence , kicking game and the forward passes hardly ideal but some good patches , well enough to get them home and no question Brown , Alioai and Sipley would have assisted quite a bit
That right edge defence and Garrick "s reads in particular does need some serious addressing or the communication level there . Could be a straight swap with Talau to the centres soon if things do not pick up a bit there defensively .
Lodge a good effort considering his i st game back , Jake just such a mainstay again . Paseka can certainly a handfull when he gets those strong runs going .
Just pleased again to get the win however it was managed

Without Saab we probably dont score 2 trys !!

His inclusion was an odd decision . After the wahs game + travel we were always going to be tired. Add in lodge coming back and Woods who’s the most mobile fella, the bench selection was an odd one.
Would think would have been better off shifting Lawton to an edge and having Waddell in the middles rotation
And then bringing the Kum onto the bench to give frog a rest
That could have also worked but I think what Siebold did was quite smart - Matterson there in case a back goes down, but otherwise use the extra interchange to give Lodge three stints instead of two. It effectively created a third bench prop whilst only having two props on the bench.

You've summed it up perfectly @Mark from Brisbane in my opinion. Two points is two points. Every team that played in Golden point (besides us) got trounced this week, and the Tits were desperate, you could tell.

That said, I'm loving the mentality of the players and club after the game, also expressing their dissatisfaction at some of the elements of their games (and that shows standards).

I'll one up you Markos and suggest that if you add the bye in, The absolute dodgy calls against us versus both The Warriors / Eels, we are sitting first.

I think this game was the fork in the road for us. Lose it, we were heading down the same path as the last 11 odd years. But we won it, so maybe we can kick on from here.

We aren't far away. In my view, if we can change our mentality in defense (only Titans, Rabbits and Eels are worse than us atm), that's when we possibly get to that next tier of teams - the contenders.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 99 14
8 6 2 66 14
7 6 1 54 14
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
7 4 3 49 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 3 4 17 8
8 4 4 -14 8