PRE-GAME DISCUSSION: Manly v Storm [Round 24, 2019]

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Not dropped, just ‘rested’: Mystery surrounds Storm halfback on eve of finals
The Melbourne team sheet come 4pm Tuesday will be the Storm’s most fascinating team list for the season.
Will “rested” halfback Brodie Croft be recalled for the top-four showdown against arch rivals Manly Sea Eagles?

Or are the Storm about undergo a spine shake-up on the eve of September?

Croft, 22, has long been referred to as a “work-in-progress” by the Storm as the young gun halfback continues his NRL development.

When the Storm No.7 was hooked against the Brisbane Broncos in Round 20, Croft’s body language suggested he was far from content with the call from coach Craig Bellamy.

Check the Storm’s numbers in terms of tries leaked this season and for the NRL’s best defensive team if you freeze it there all the problems are down Croft’s right edge.

There’s no question whatsoever the Storm No.7 has a brilliant kicking game and is a strong runner of the football.

But defensively there have been 28 tries leaked down his edge. Compare this to seven down Storm’s left edge or 11 down Storm’s middle.

Individually, Croft has had 11 “try causes” this season. Compare this to five-eighth Cameron Muster, who’s had three.
The numbers don’t lie and what they add up to is one of the most intriguing questions of the year.

Do the runaway competition leaders stick with Brodie Croft as their starting halfback for the remainder of the year or do they cut ties a fortnight out from the finals and go with Jahrome Hughes at No.7.

Let’s not forget Croft was dropped back to the Queensland Cup last year to further his development before returning leading into the finals.

If Melbourne drop Croft, it allows the Storm to get young gun Ryan Papenhuyzen into their starting side at fullback.

Papenhuyzen’s numbers against the Gold Coast in Round 23 were off the charts; 19 runs, 199m, seven tackle busts, three line breaks, two line break assists and a try.

Fox Sports has been told the Storm have entertained trying to move Croft on at the end of this season. Croft’s agent has denied this.

Which adds even more intrigue around whether Melbourne coach Craig Bellamy names him in the No.7 jumper on Tuesday.

And even if he is in the No.7, does he play against Manly or do the Storm do the late switch like they did against the Gold Coast.

And Croft gets “rested”.

I am confident we will win, and will also beat the Eels. I suspect we will conk out during the finals though, but at worst we are setting ourselves up for next year.
(Hey I'll look out for you there - if I call out loudly in the Brookie pub beforehand, how do I pronounce your name? There's no syllables!!)

I personally do not think we will conk out of the finals because our 2019 team have made me believe they are capable of going all the way

Our 2019 team has proven time and time again to win against all the odds , without key players , under adversity and under pressure

Our 2019 team has passed the audition as far as serious premiership contenders are concerned .

Des has our 2019 team achieving and most importantly believing they can go all the way and I think we all should believe in them too .

50035332_241848436748506_5909757966032282742_n.jpg

Both coaches will be keeping some tricks up their sleeve for September. Will both still want to win the game though.

Brett Kimmorley says
Manly were down to 15 players last week and Tom Trbojevic didn’t really have much of an impact on the match but they still won. Their forwards were great. Taupau, Fonua-Blake, Jake Trbojevic and the two hookers (Koroisau and Fainu) were great – I thought they were the best five players on the field in Canberra. I wouldn’t expect Cameron Munster and Cameron Smith to have below par performances from a technical viewpoint two weeks in a row. Expect a masterclass from one of them, but I don’t know if Melbourne are a bit off confidence at the moment. Sea Eagles by 1

I have a feeling this game could be a HUGE talking point in the coming week.

It’s clear they hate each other.

Just hope our players restrain themselves as it would be stupid to be suspended for a few weeks at this stage of the year.
Normally I'd agree but there's nothing in this for the scum400 and we are pushing hard for top 4. I don't think the drizzle will be interested in pushing the limits in this one. They're saving themselves for finals.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
7 5 2 36 12
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
6 4 2 53 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 3 4 17 8
8 4 4 -14 8