Questions for Manly

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
  • Wwe are currently experience some server issues which I am working through and hoping to resolve soon, Please bare with me whilst I work through making some changes and possible intermittent outages.
  • Apologies all our server was runing rogue. I managed to get us back to a point from 2:45 today though there is an attachment issue i will fix shortly. Things should be smooth now though

Budgie

In for the long haul.
2016 Tipping Competitor
Tipping Member
Why don't we have a CEO after all this time in the middle of a season?
Why don't we have the other one (CFO?) after all this time in the middle of a season?
Where has the passion of Des Hasler gone?
Why are we the most strapped team in the competition?
Why did you extend DCE before you had to?
Why is club communication so rubbish?
Why do we often not use all our interchanges?
Why is Schuster still on the bench?
Why was Jorge in the side?
Why do the players look like they barely know each other?
Why do the Penns still own the club?
Why can't I stop caring?

For a club that has been spruiking about how financially secure they are after all the big sponsorship dollars came rolling in,why does it seem like they’re operating off meat tray raffles and sausage sizzles?Time for the club to move into the 21st century and no more of this cloak and dagger BS,as if giving out any information will bring the club to its knees or it will expose a weakness to the opposition

I’m committing to not watching the game next week. I’ll watch a relay if we win. Yesterday was my birthday and it was ruined by the performance. I always get nervous before games and yesterday was terrible. Need to slowly reduce my intake of rugby league.
Good plan mate. It’s great being passionate but when it starts impacting other areas of your life it’s time to step back a bit. Plenty on here that should as well. And some have recently after sone good reflections. I was carrying on at the tv and Des last night when my 9yr old said “dad if you think you can do a better job, why don’t you try get a job as the coach” bloody grounded me there and then. We are in a bad spot right now that’s for sure but we’ve been in these spots before. It will turn around, hopefully sooner than later.

Good plan mate. It’s great being passionate but when it starts impacting other areas of your life it’s time to step back a bit. Plenty on here that should as well. And some have recently after sone good reflections. I was carrying on at the tv and Des last night when my 9yr old said “dad if you think you can do a better job, why don’t you try get a job as the coach” bloody grounded me there and then. We are in a bad spot right now that’s for sure but we’ve been in these spots before. It will turn around, hopefully sooner than later.
Little does your lad know you probably could do a better job than des lol

Laziness, unprofessional small business, and a tight arsed owner. If he can get away without paying a salary (despite the walls falling in) he will.

Why don't we have the other one (CFO?) after all this time in the middle of a season?
See Above

Put it this way. Crusher failed his KPI's so badly at The Dogs, they wanted to sack him. Des then brings him back to Manly! It's a job for the boys. I DO think Des is trying though, I just think the games well and truly moved past the old dinosaur

Not sure if you mean CAP strapped, or injury situation. BUT, I will say our cap management, roster mangement is an embarrassment of epic proportions. No Hooker for 3 years? Ugh.

Desperation signing after others are exodusing (see Walker, Foz) - it's also AGAIN, poor management. 34 next year. Highest paid player in the league. Look at our results. Inconsistent at BEST.

Arrogance. Terrible media manager, who literally has no boss. Tuilagi still hasn't been announced, and it's getting airplay on nine and Fox during games. Who was that woman that went to Parra, then another sport? She was fantastic, and started building bridges with the divide between fans and our club big time.

Because Des is devoid of ideas. It's also why we've had to plug in players who aren't ready for fist grade into the top 30 just to make the player numbers required. A lack of planning. A lack of execution. Des did the same with the Dogs when he took them to the cellar (and where they still haven't recovered from)

To a degree, I get it. He's not match fit or game ready. He wasn't even looking at balls beoing passed to him at one stage, and if you saw him trying to run the length of the field.....I'm not sure he has 80 minutes in those big chunky legs.

Desperation, lack of planning, lack of creativity or imagination. We had MUCH better options, but risk adverse Des went with the easy way out, and we got absolutely fleeced for it.

Culture. It's driven from the top (we've all heard the ex players say it). We don't have a CEO, we don't have a CFO, we are crap with customer interaction. These players don't care about the club. They care about their next paycheck.

Because he's made a huge profit from us. It feeds his ego, and gives him a value of self entitlement. He'd rather us collapse to the ground than sell to another party who may add value (and this may be in the course of happening).

Why can't I stop caring?
My final straw was last night. All I have left now is venting with you guys. I have the NHL, the AFL, the Soccer (and all my other teams show pride and spirit), so I'm okay). The players have an apathy to losing. I have an apathy with them now.

Great questions @Budgewoi Eagle , and I think @Ryan touched on most of it.

Personally I feel off the the field the Penns have been nothing short of a disaster for the club.

Des has completely lost his passion and the plot and continually just ramble’s , must be tough for the young up and comers.

Recruitment has been an absolute disaster since Dce got his 75yr contract. As well as several bewildering decisions ( Myles says hi). And it’s just mind blowing we don’t have a dedicated hooker as Ryan said. It’s like the perfect self made Storm to fuk us.

I’ll always watch every single Manly game religiously , and support them ( and criticise when needed), but geez it’s tough at the moment.

Why can't I stop caring?
1.Those in power are reactive.. not proactive.
2.The boys club have too much pull.
3.Des and DCE I think are somewhat arrogant, think they know it all, have all the answers, no need to change their ways.
4.DCE is solely responsible for the cultural shift at the club. Has held the club ransom. Even in his early days.
5.DCE is happy go lucky, no real passion on the field, happy to collect his pay check though. Great leadership skills!
6.Des was once a passionate manly man, but since his falling out with the penns in his first stint, you can tell now it's just a job for him now.
7.Our owner Scott Penn is more worried about what's happening in the states.

Where does any of the above equate to a successful team environment? It doesn't. In professional sports to the workplace. Its the blind leading the blind. A toxic culture at worst, unproductive at best

Laziness, unprofessional small business, and a tight arsed owner. If he can get away without paying a salary (despite the walls falling in) he will.

See Above

Put it this way. Crusher failed his KPI's so badly at The Dogs, they wanted to sack him. Des then brings him back to Manly! It's a job for the boys. I DO think Des is trying though, I just think the games well and truly moved past the old dinosaur

Not sure if you mean CAP strapped, or injury situation. BUT, I will say our cap management, roster mangement is an embarrassment of epic proportions. No Hooker for 3 years? Ugh.

Desperation signing after others are exodusing (see Walker, Foz) - it's also AGAIN, poor management. 34 next year. Highest paid player in the league. Look at our results. Inconsistent at BEST.

Arrogance. Terrible media manager, who literally has no boss. Tuilagi still hasn't been announced, and it's getting airplay on nine and Fox during games. Who was that woman that went to Parra, then another sport? She was fantastic, and started building bridges with the divide between fans and our club big time.

Because Des is devoid of ideas. It's also why we've had to plug in players who aren't ready for fist grade into the top 30 just to make the player numbers required. A lack of planning. A lack of execution. Des did the same with the Dogs when he took them to the cellar (and where they still haven't recovered from)

To a degree, I get it. He's not match fit or game ready. He wasn't even looking at balls beoing passed to him at one stage, and if you saw him trying to run the length of the field.....I'm not sure he has 80 minutes in those big chunky legs.

Desperation, lack of planning, lack of creativity or imagination. We had MUCH better options, but risk adverse Des went with the easy way out, and we got absolutely fleeced for it.

Culture. It's driven from the top (we've all heard the ex players say it). We don't have a CEO, we don't have a CFO, we are crap with customer interaction. These players don't care about the club. They care about their next paycheck.

Because he's made a huge profit from us. It feeds his ego, and gives him a value of self entitlement. He'd rather us collapse to the ground than sell to another party who may add value (and this may be in the course of happening).

Why can't I stop caring?
My final straw was last night. All I have left now is venting with you guys. I have the NHL, the AFL, the Soccer (and all my other teams show pride and spirit), so I'm okay). The players have an apathy to losing. I have an apathy with them now.
One thing I believe you left off your very good analysis was the lack of fight or leadership the team has had when things get tough and it’s been lacking ever since someone took over as captain all those years ago

So I know this is not really the thread for a different perspective, but just on question one and two...

Like with when anyone resigns in any company, it can take time to fill the position. From publicising the role, or getting an executive recruitment agency to pool a list of potential candidates, the recruitment process can take 2-3 months for the successful candidate to be identified and terms agreed. Then, the successful candidate will need to serve their notice period with their current employer. At the CEO and CFO level, this can be anywhere between 3 and 9 months. The fact that Humphreys didn't serve notice but was out the door immediately has not helped in an orderly process. It's therefore not surprising to me that we have not filled these positions.

At the end of the day, it takes time to find the right candidate for a role like this, and I am sure we all want high calibre CEO and CFO appointments.

We had a culture of do it for your club, team and mates before 2014. Then we threw all the marbles at the most polarising self centered player I've ever seen. DCE cultivates a toxic culture of do it for myself, what's in it for me and the club owes me. Des came back for the $$ and nothing else. He is clueless in the modern game as shown by our complete lack of conditioning and diabolical roster management. We are in the wilderness now like the Dogs, Tigers and Warriors. There's no direction , no plan and it will be like this for years to come.

Here's another question. How the hell do we go from preliminary final to next year flops ? I know , we deteriorate to a public mudslinging in the media between owners and coach. There's why we are now officially a flaming basket case of a club. Going down like the Hindenburg.

Kind of expected this when the mighty Bozo passed and our club was left floundering for leadership and direction. Somebody smart needs to step up and take control. Que : Crickets, tumbleweed !

Another coaching question.
We have 3 very talented attacking players in Tuipolutu, Koula and Olakau'atu YET we play them on the right but focus all of our attack to the left with the better half , Foran, having to use Davey and Harper, Taufua. Meanwhile to the right we have $1mil goose turning the ball back in or running in circles.
What am I missing ???

Wonder if the Media Manager still visits here , he certainly used to as I said something once and he was on the phone to me quick smart !!

But I’m Neville Nobody now so my views don’t count much.

We had a culture of do it for your club, team and mates before 2014. Then we threw all the marbles at the most polarising self centered player I've ever seen. DCE cultivates a toxic culture of do it for myself, what's in it for me and the club owes me. Des came back for the $$ and nothing else. He is clueless in the modern game as shown by our complete lack of conditioning and diabolical roster management. We are in the wilderness now like the Dogs, Tigers and Warriors. There's no direction , no plan and it will be like this for years to come.
I could not agree more ..... perfectly said.

Staff online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
10 9 1 124 20
10 8 2 81 18
10 7 3 70 16
10 7 3 69 16
11 7 4 59 14
10 6 4 -10 14
11 6 5 107 12
11 6 5 -9 12
10 5 5 -56 12