R20 MANLY NSW CUP V WYONG ROOS

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
eagles2win said:
These games are starting to build a nice little rivalry.

Shame we cant grab players from both teams to play for Manly first when needed. We could use that unknown up and comer Magnus. Seems a likely lad. Any thoughts that he could have been with Manly hmmmm

Bearfax said:
Noticed no Hiku in the final team that played in NSW Cup and he's not listed for Manly firsts. Is he injured or is there a secret injury in firsts we will only know of on Monay evening

Hiku played the full game

Fairy Bower said:
Bearfax said:
Noticed no Hiku in the final team that played in NSW Cup and he's not listed for Manly firsts. Is he injured or is there a secret injury in firsts we will only know of on Monay evening

Hiku played the full game

Thanks FB. Did he do OK? Quite a reasonable backline there with Hiku, Gagan, Chisholm, Seage, Gutherson and Williams and what seems a strong forward line up. I would have thought they would be much higher up the ladder and much more competitive. though I realise many were injured until recently. Should have beaten Wyong by a cricket score surely with that group.

BF, Hiku played ok. He always tries hard but was heavily marked. He is one of those players that seems to shine in NRL rather than reserve grade.

We led 16-4 at one stage of the 1st half and we were clearly on top of them at this stage. Then just before half time mistakes led to turnovers and Wyong scored right on h/t to bring them within range of our score.

We went to sleep in the second half and you could see 2V & Willow blowing up in the box when Wyong went in with 3 trys. We fought back in the last 10 minutes with 2 trys. The first one came when Seage fielded a kick at the back in his quarter. He gapped the defence with a 60m run, drew the FB with a pass to Chisholm who scores. That made it 24-22 to Wyong with 7 to go.

With 2 minutes left we are attacking in their quarter when Kane Lawton gets the ball and starts running diagonally across the field throwing dummies. He spots a gap in the confused defence and dives in the corner for the match winner. Phew!

I agree on paper we should have smacked Wyong and we looked to be going on with the job in the first half but the wheels fell off with some ill-discipline and mistakes.

But the team did show some ticker to get back in the game and win the match when it seemed lost.

Such a shame these matches aren't played before the NRL games. I'm much more interested in the players named above than watching our juniors concede a cricket score each match.

Match report from http://www.nswrl.com.au/default.aspx?s=article-display&id=80521&title=manly-sneak-home-late-to-deny-the-roos

Manly sneak home late to deny the Roos
Michael Mapstone
Rugby League News
29/07/2013 4:30:00 PM

Two late tries gave Manly a come-from-behind 28-24 victory in a bruising, see-sawing encounter with the Wyong Roos.

The Sea Eagles needed a win to keep their slim finals hopes alive and Wyong looked every bit as desperate for a win, in a hard-fought match that belied their positions near the bottom of the table.

The match was played with an intensity that threatened to boil over on more than one occasion.

The visitors posted the first points at the 10 minute mark, Wyong hooker Mitch Williams darting out of dummy half on the fifth tackle then toeing through a grubber for Eloni Vunakece to dive on under the posts. But the lead remained 4-0 when Matt Nelson’s conversion attempt struck the upright.

Manly opened its account at the 16 minute mark when Dane Chisholm cut through the Wyong defensive line 30 metres out, then sprinted around the cover defence to score in the right hand corner. The five-eight then converted from the sideline to give his team the lead.

That lead was extended just four minutes later when Jacob Gagan finished off a Manly attacking raid in the left corner, the home side up 10-4.

Some more expansive play by Manly gave Gagan his second try after 28 minutes, a neat step from Troy Savage before delivering the final pass a highlight of the movement. Chisholm this time converted from out wide, Manly taking a 16-4 lead.

Just when it appeared the Sea Eagles would hold that lead at the break a late surge by Wyong saw Ben Shorter cross in the left corner. Nelson made amends for his earlier miss with a beautiful sideline conversion on the stroke of half-time, closing the gap to six.

Five minutes after the break a Wyong attacking movement stretched the Manly defence and Shorter took advantage to cross out wide for his second. The conversion was missed and the score was 16-14 to Manly.

It was another 20 minutes before Wyong took the lead, Dan Phillips busting the Manly line and passing for Jono Ford to score under the posts. Nelson’s conversion made it 20-16.

Just four minutes later Mitch Williams made another fifth tackle dart from dummy half, stepping to create an overlap that led to a try for Etu Uaisele in the right hand corner. Despite the missed conversion, Wyong looked comfortable at 24-16.

Manly had other ideas. When Wyong kicked long at the end of their next attacking set Jason Seage scooped up the ball at pace and charged up field, splitting the defence. He ran untouched to halfway, drew the cover and off-loaded to Chisholm, who ran the remaining 50 metres and then promptly converted from in front.

The Sea Eagles continued to press and with three minutes remaining Kayne Lawton sliced through the line about 30 metres out and raced for the corner, scoring despite tweaking a hamstring in the process. Chisholm’s pinpoint sideline conversion gave Manly a 28-24 lead with less than a minute to play.

But that wasn’t the end of the drama. Wyong kicked short and Manly regathered. On the next play Ligi Sao took the ball up and, as he attempted to shake off a Wyong defender, appeared to make contact to the head with his elbow. Players rushed in from everywhere and, when the dust settled, Sao was sent from the field.

The Roos desperately attacked for three more plays, but were unable to break the Manly line before the final siren.

Manly have the bye this weekend while the Roos head to Leichhardt Oval to take on the Sharks in the Fox Sports match at 12.40pm Saturday.

Manly Sea Eagles 28 (J Gagan 2, D Chisholm 2, K Lawton tries; D Chisholm 4 goals) def. Wyong Roos 24 (B Shorter 2, E Uaisele, J Ford, E Vunakece tries; M Nelson 2 goals) at Brookvale Oval.

Sounds like a cracking match. Chisholm sounds like he is continuing to blitz them in this grade. Will he ever get a chance to play first grade?
Tooves overlooked him when DCE was out for SOO. If DCE is out this Saturday with the injury he suffered last night will Dane be considered.

Also, can you keep us informed of Ligi's fate? I'd heard that the judiciary usually enjoyed some refreshments before deliberations started. This if probaly the first time they have been served a Sao!

I definitely think Chisholm deserves a shot. I think he has been our best this season. There is something 2V doesn't like about him and I think it might be sometimes his D lets him down.

Meanwhile news on Ligi;

‏@NSWRL
#VBNSWCup Judiciary news: Ligi Sao (Manly Sea Eagles) Charged with Grd 3 Striking, Early Guilty Plea taken = 2 matches to serve

Thanks FB.
I'm sure most of us are very interested in the Reserve grade; we just don't get a chance to see them, so keep up the good work.

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
5 4 1 23 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 14 8
7 4 3 -18 8
6 3 2 21 7
7 3 3 20 7
7 3 4 31 6
6 3 3 16 6