Raiders recruit ready for NRL call up

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

SeaEagleRock8

Sea Eagle Lach
Premium Member
Tipping Member
by Andrew Prentice Manly Daily May 21, 2014

HE ARRIVED at the club last pre-season from the Raiders as a potential direct swap for Tony Williams.

But Michael Chee-Kam's expected smooth transition from under-20s NYC standout to the weekly rigours of the NRL hasn't exactly gone according to plan.

Read More

959159-1614282a-e0b3-11e3-8ae0-51e0ec14d6b8.jpg

by Andrew Prentice Manly Daily May 21, 2014

HE ARRIVED at the club last pre-season from the Raiders as a potential direct swap for Tony Williams.

But Michael Chee-Kam’s expected smooth transit
959159_1614282a_e0b3_11e3_8ae0_51e0ec14d6b81.jpg
ion from under-20s NYC standout to the weekly rigours of the NRL hasn’t exactly gone according to plan.

The hulking 22-year-old is the first to concede he has been injury-prone in maroon and white, be it his knee, elbow or ankle.

“Last year was tough, it seemed every time I was in the mix for a call-up to first grade something else went wrong,” the second-rower told the Manly Daily.

“I was happy to get a call up for the Auckland Nines (in February), but once again I got hurt, I couldn’t believe it.

“My family has been great, they are very supportive and make sure I am always­ feeling positive no matter what happens on the field or at training.”

Chee-Kam, a former Australian Schoolboy representative, was buzzing when the news came through that the Sea Eagles were interested in his services at the end of 2012.

Sitting behind the likes of Joel Thompson and Josh Papalii at Canberra, shifting to the northern beaches made sense.

“Manly have a winning culture, and potentially being involved in a premiership was very enticing for me,” he said.

“While I haven’t played NRL yet, I am finally stringing a few games together in the NSW Cup which has been good for my confidence.”

The electric form of Samoan international Jesse Sene-Lefao off the bench this season also leaves Chee-Kam confident he can do a job for coach Geoff Toovey.

“I’m very close with Jesse, and he has shown what he can do after he was given an opportunity,” he said.

“He lives around the corner from me and we are always swapping ideas on different things.

“I am off contract next year so obviously I would like to show what I can do at NRL level. Touch wood I am over my injuries and that I can make my debut when the time is right.”

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/newslocal/northern-beaches/raiders-recruit-ready-for-nrl-call-up/story-fngr8iii-1226925959195

Thanks SER8, he's making all the right noises, hope that translates into all the right moves on the field.

Everytime I have seen him play (which is only 3-4 times) he does good things but he always moves like he is fatigued. I'm sure he isn't, that it's only his body mechanics, but seems to lack any zip.

Anyway wish him all the best, injuries are buggers, if he makes the grade he'll be an excellent addition.

Of what i have seen of him recently he is not ready yet . I hope he lives up to his reputation

'' Off contract next year''.......Meaning the end of 2015, or not signed for next year??

If he's unsigned for next year it will be very interesting if we keep him or not.

If he does have another year here, he'll have to do a lot more than he's done so far to justify his retention.

Perhaps it's just been a run of real bad luck injury-wise...It's just unusual - and not often a good sign - for such a young guy to be busted so often.

RiverEagle said:
'' Off contract next year''.......Meaning the end of 2015, or not signed for next year??

If he's unsigned for next year it will be very interesting if we keep him or not.

If he does have another year here, he'll have to do a lot more than he's done so far to justify his retention.

Perhaps it's just been a run of real bad luck injury-wise...It's just unusual - and not often a good sign - for such a young guy to be busted so often.
Means he's contracted till the end of 2015

I wish these journos would stop writing articles like this. Boring. How many times have we seen these articles before.......
All the talk is empty and cheap when nothing has been achieved. Once he gets picked in 1st grade and strings a few games together without getting injured, then lets talk him up.

Peter C said:
RiverEagle said:

Means he's contracted till the end of 2015

Means he's got one more year to show the world why Manly wanted him!

Thanks Pete.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
7 5 2 36 12
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
6 4 2 53 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 3 4 17 8