Recruiting mongrel

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
DCE was under contract, in the words of choc watmough threatened to sit it out unless upgraded and we lost gifty.
Is this why you have such a set against DCE?

DCE agitating for an upgrade was supposedly in 2012, after winning the comp on minimum wage.
It was 2014 when we were unable to re-sign Gift. He was nearing the end and the club knew both star halves were off contract after 2015.

Gift was already at Souths in 2015, the year when there was the schemozzle of withdrawing DCE's offer, preferring to keep Foran, only for Foran to then admit he was going to the Eels, and DCE then had his reputation trashed for the next 5 years for exercising his legal cooling off period and staying loyal to Manly.

If you can find any evidence that DCE was holding out for more money in 2014, when he was already contracted until the end of 2015, I'd love you to post it.

Meanwhile, I suggest you have your timelines awry.

DCE agitating for an upgrade was supposedly in 2012, after winning the comp on minimum wage.
It was 2014 when we were unable to re-sign Gift. He was nearing the end and the club knew both star halves were off contract after 2015.

Gift was already at Souths in 2015, the year when there was the schemozzle of withdrawing DCE's offer, preferring to keep Foran, only for Foran to then admit he was going to the Eels, and DCE then had his reputation trashed for the next 5 years for exercising his legal cooling off period and staying loyal to Manly.

If you can find any evidence that DCE was holding out for more money in 2014, when he was already contracted until the end of 2015, I'd love you to post it.

woo hoo, look at you, waking up with all that bed head. But seriously Good Morning mate

There was a pod cast posted on ST from watmough, not james. He said, not me that it occurred And it **** the team off. Now he was there. We were not. I just typed what he said. take ot up with watmough if you are so aggrieved. Im not going to spend ages looking for it because at the time the dce cheer squad said choc was just bitter and his word couldnt be trusted because of. Maybe you were one of them. Maybe not but i feel we hav3 been down this road before

but the context of my post was about old players that were not happy and they were about taking unders with there chance to come later. Players contracts did not all expire at the same time so fallout was incremental

if you choose to blot this from your mind, thats cool but relax, take the context of the post Mr cut n pastey

but for the record. My words
now as the half back, captain and until recently the highest paid player in our team i think a lot ( not all ) of manlys performance related issues are linked to him . His position demands it BUT

please remember this. I think he is a great athlete, a decent human and a pretty good footy player. Even an ok 7 , BUT i dont think he plays in the line because he takes the soft option ,his longevity is linked to this. he pushes too much responsibility on our fullback and due to his salary and position and soft kicking options he is the single best way to change manlys fortunes from a bottom 6 side. It may not work out but roll the dice as he has had more partners that rasputin and caligula combined and every season its another somebody else’s fault. Besides bottom 6 is bottom 6. We cant fall far trying

if we could put hunt, grant, munster and ponga or tommy around him he would be excellent but as a leading man, with the teams hopes, he just has too many wont do’s in his game.

remember YOU asked

if you heard the podcast would it change your mind .?

take from this what you will

In the end Zorba thought he was bigger than the club. Quite simply the promotion of his own agendas became more important to him than promoting the club's agendas. Zorba always had way too influence than his intelligence deserved. I wish we had got rid of him years ago.
As I have said before, recruiting Zorba from Parramatta in 1969 has been a running sore for Manly ever since. Not just his own direct involvement over the decades, but acting as the link that allowed the Penn family to infiltrate the club.

With no Zorba having played for Manly, who knows, maybe young Scott decides to follow Norths, Parramatta, Balmain, et al.

As I have said before, recruiting Zorba from Parramatta in 1969 has been a running sore for Manly ever since.
Nothing sore about a honorable contribution to a Manly Premiership Win by the Great Zorba feathered friend

The 1973 Manly Grand final win was the most brutal grand final ever played and was no place for the faint hearted

Here he is carrying the Winning shield of Manly honor
and there is no Greater Manly honor than that feathered friend
Zorba has for ever stamped his name in our Legendary clubs Great Winning History with all the other Immortal premiership winning Manly Men

Respect and Credit where Credit and Respect is due !
1698706487744.png

There was a pod cast posted on ST from watmough, not james. He said, not me that it occurred
Lol, I just listened ... and that's not what Choc said!

He spoke about how he and Gift were both coming off contract after 2011. Choc was going to leave to play at Melbourne, says he got a phone call from Gift where Gift told him they play their best footy together, Gift said he’s been offered a ****-load to leave, but if you stay, I’ll stay. So Choc said he'd stay. He specifically says this call was while he was on the 'Kangaroo tour' (which was actually the 4 Nations, in Oct/Nov 2011).

As for Gift leaving, Choc blames Tooves, "what kind of coach let’s a board pick his ****in team?” and Quantum, who he thinks controlled the board at the time, people who’ve “never picked a team in their lives” - because he thinks they prioritised DCE "and other young players" - but oddly he never mentions Foran, and the fact that in 2015 Manly had both marquee halves coming off contract, both worth $1m at market - and had actually decided to prioritise Foran and let DCE go!

Funny he doesn't blame the board for keeping money aside to re-sign Foran... ah, probably because when it comes down to it, it wasn't really the money, he didn't like DCE because he was different. DCE was "a politician talking, he was a different character, could talk to media, he wasn’t a knockabout footy bloke, he was a different person to what every other footy player was".

if you heard the podcast would it change your mind .?
Well I heard it and it didn't change my mind!

But I still love Choc, he spilled plenty of blood for Manly. He's pretty scathing about Tooves though!
I also love Gift, & all the old Sea Eagle champs, even sovereign citizen Kite! even Wolfman (who Choc kind of blames for losing the 2013 GF)(actually he blames Toovey for selecting Wolfman when all the other coaches and players were telling him to pick Jorge)

Always enjoy your posts though!

Lol, I just listened ... and that's not what Choc said!

He spoke about how he and Gift were both coming off contract after 2011. Choc was going to leave to play at Melbourne, says he got a phone call from Gift where Gift told him they play their best footy together, Gift said he’s been offered a ****-load to leave, but if you stay, I’ll stay. So Choc said he'd stay. He specifically says this call was while he was on the 'Kangaroo tour' (which was actually the 4 Nations, in Oct/Nov 2011).

As for Gift leaving, Choc blames Tooves, "what kind of coach let’s a board pick his ****in team?” and Quantum, who he thinks controlled the board at the time, people who’ve “never picked a team in their lives” - because he thinks they prioritised DCE "and other young players" - but oddly he never mentions Foran, and the fact that in 2015 Manly had both marquee halves coming off contract, both worth $1m at market - and had actually decided to prioritise Foran and let DCE go!

Funny he doesn't blame the board for keeping money aside to re-sign Foran... ah, probably because when it comes down to it, it wasn't really the money, he didn't like DCE because he was different. DCE was "a politician talking, he was a different character, could talk to media, he wasn’t a knockabout footy bloke, he was a different person to what every other footy player was".

Well I heard it and it didn't change my mind!

But I still love Choc, he spilled plenty of blood for Manly. He's pretty scathing about Tooves though!
I also love Gift, & all the old Sea Eagle champs, even sovereign citizen Kite! even Wolfman (who Choc kind of blames for losing the 2013 GF)(actually he blames Toovey for selecting Wolfman when all the other coaches and players were telling him to pick Jorge)

Always enjoy your posts though!
so the bit about DCE being under contract for years at a cheap price and choc telling him he had a crap mamanger and next minute he is on 500k after his mananger told him to sit it out wasnt on your podcast. well you are selective becuase thats what i said

This below is what you tagged me and started this conversation .

DCE was under contract, in the words of choc watmough threatened to sit it out unless upgraded and we lost gifty.You then asked me to provide evidence. What do you want

Bury your head in semantics then as this conversation seems pointless .

Some great insight. Choc seems to a bit confused about a few things though. I get the impression he can't remember what year he was negotiating with the storm.

And the 2013 GF and all the assistant coaches and choc wanting player X who had a shocker in the 2013 GF early to be a last minute out and replaced by Jorge Tuafua.

Yeah Jorge played onone wing that game. May be choc is confusing Jorge with Peta perhaps but that's an odd one.

Dropping that player that he would seem to be implying for the biggest game of their life would have been a huge call.

Makes you wonder what those internally were seeing to even consider that? I guess the build up to a grand final pressure. But wow

Some great insight. Choc seems to a bit confused about a few things though. I get the impression he can't remember what year he was negotiating with the storm.

And the 2013 GF and all the assistant coaches and choc wanting player X who had a shocker in the 2013 GF early to be a last minute out and replaced by Jorge Tuafua.

Yeah Jorge played onone wing that game. May be choc is confusing Jorge with Peta perhaps but that's an odd one.

Dropping that player that he would seem to be implying for the biggest game of their life would have been a huge call.

Makes you wonder what those internally were seeing to even consider that? I guess the build up to a grand final pressure. But wow
I don't seem to recall Wolfman having glaring issues with his game - particularly defense prior to this. I can only assume he is referring to Wolfman as I don't think anyone else had a shocker.

I don't seem to recall Wolfman having glaring issues with his game - particularly defense prior to this. I can only assume he is referring to Wolfman as I don't think anyone else had a shocker.
Yeah and Wolf a way more experienced player compared to either Jorge or Peta who were rookies. It would have been an unbelievable omission.

If choc is accurate, and assistants were also calling for that change. He must have really been struggling.

DCE was under contract, in the words of choc watmough threatened to sit it out unless upgraded and we lost gifty.You then asked me to provide evidence. What do you want

Bury your head in semantics then as this conversation seems pointless .
"and we lost gifty"...
Only problem being you (and maybe Choc) have connected DCE agitating for an upgrade from minimum after winning the GF - in the post 2011 off-season - with Manly losing Gifty after 2014.

As I said, Manly were indeed trying to save cap space with an expensive half coming off contract in 2015. Except it was for Foran, not DCE.

take from this what you will

Excellent podcast. Watmough certainly hated Quantum side of the Manly ownership.
Funny, most here hate the Penn side which Watmough never mentioned.

Bring back Glenn Stewart as an assistant coach, considering he seemed to run the team back in the day.

Certainly can not blame D C E for pressuring or insisting on some decent upgrade after the 2011 title win , he was on something like 130 k for that season and for 2 more i recall .
Not sure what the upgrade was but probably went to 450 - 500 k or so .
Was always going to be awkward trying to keep Gifty after he was experiencing some injury issues and getting to the latter stages of his career but a bit clumsy by Manly as things panned out there.
Then D C E and Foz soon after rated the best combo in the comp , Penn apparently prepared to offer both 850 K to stay . That was after D C E was prepared to take 750 k but then the offer dropped and Foz never really intending to stay and knowing full well that that attractive offer from the Eels was always there .
Then that pleasing Manly reunion again for 2 seasons in the halves and virtually a full circle and an indication of what may have been ,
Well if or when Foz could have largely remained fit which obviously was not the case when he was at other clubs

Poorly managed. Those teams constantly up the top of the ladder would have kept DCE happy whilst he honoured his contract. Gifty and Choc didn't have long to go, but I can understand how dirty choc is he didn't get to have his send off at Manly. He's taking it out on DCE. For me which one of the here one minute gone the next CEO's was that. Stability breeds stability.

Team P W L PD Pts
9 8 1 116 18
9 7 2 72 16
9 7 2 49 16
9 6 3 57 14
10 6 4 115 12
10 6 4 58 12
9 5 4 -14 12
10 5 4 31 11
9 4 5 19 10
10 5 5 -13 10
10 5 5 -56 10