Robert Lui Banned for season.

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
MissKate said:
That is pathetic, the nrl should hang their heads in shame.

It is up the clubs now whether he evers plays NRL again.

If I was a sponsor I wouldnt want my company's name on a jersey or shirt he was wearing.

Which club is going to lower themselves to have a person who head butts his girlfriend and then kicks her in the head ?

The supporters of any club who contemplates it have the power to prevent this from happening.

MissKate said:
That is pathetic, the nrl should hang their heads in shame.

I am with CussCuss on this one.

No suspension for mine.

Do we stand down the plumber, the electrician or the baker from their jobs for the same offense.

bob dylan said:
I am with CussCuss on this one.

No suspension for mine.

Do we stand down the plumber, the electrician or the baker from their jobs for the same offense.

I ****ing hope so!!!

Scum act from scum or do you like what he did Bobbo?
Seriously i wouldnt walk in a shop i knew a wifebasher
worked in,no matter how low the price

Support wife bashers,have little kids idolise them....grow
up

CussCuss said:
No, its apples and apples. Punishment in the workplace for a disgression in your private life. The disgression was a Can't Understand Normal Thinking act of the highest order, but the fact remains that its a workplace punishment for something unrelated to work.

So where is the line drawn? Would you get less for a white collar crime? What about speeding? Brett got 4 weeks for having a drink. Should it only apply to football players? Lets introduce it to all your jobs, next time you get smashed and refused service your out of work for a few weeks.

If you have a problem with the punishment that was handed down by the courts it should be fixed within the courts, not in the workplace.

Also, Im aware that there are clauses in the contract etc, Its not a debate on the rules more of a moral debate.

Comparing bashing a woman with speeding or being refused service of alcohol is not apples with apples at all. A closer comparison would be a rape or murder conviction. If you raped or murdered somebody would you keep your job? I guarantee you that I wouldn't. Same goes if I was convicted of wife bashing.

A professional driver who gets done for high range DUI in his private time would likely lose his licence and his job. A politician who gets caught going to a legal brothel would likely lose his job. A school teacher who engages in paedophilia in his private time would surely be sacked. Matty Johns lost his job at 9 for something he did many years before they even employed him. Do you think all these people are hard done by?

It is hardly a case of one rule for NRL players and another rule for the rest of society (I will leave Brett Stewart aside because that case was one rule for Brett Stewart and another for all NRL players and the rest of society).

If it is a moral debate, I stand on whichever side is harshest on the wife beaters. There aren't too many things you could do which are lower than that.

MadMarcus there are plenty of things on the very low band.
The court found him guilty and so that will do me. Yes he's a dirtbag for doing that. What the mitigating circumstances are that fed into the sentencing I don't know.

The NRL are within their rights to come up with some suspension, and to make a public eg of their stance against domestic violence. Fair enough. But much more useful would be to combine that with some serious educational, player support, player-led 'role modelling' initiatives, etc. Otherwise it just looks like a bull**** knee-jerk, public image maintaining suspension and we've seen way too much of that in the nrl over the giddy-up era.

More specifically, a well considered program of things to limit players' violence against women would take into account not only the testosterone levels which are part of the nature of the 20 yr old, super fit beast, but demographic predictors. The elephant in the room here is the statistical facts around aboriginal people -- most incarcerated, poorest health levels, high levels of family dysfunctionality due to unemployment, substance abuse, domestic violence and abuse issues, etc etc. This stuff is a major factor in the backgrounds of people who grow up and commit similar crimes. None of which means any particular indigenous player is certain to commit such crimes; it's only statistics. But a good nrl program would do some homework on supporting, mentoring, indigenous and other players of demographics indicating potential problems for them living in the weird 'boys club' of a professional nrl team.

Some excellent points IMT.

It was a knee-jerk reaction to suspend him for x number of matches. How did they arrive at that figure? Why wasn't he given an opportunity to put his case on the issue of sanctions - as he was given by the court, and as the rules of natural justice would normally demand?

Domestic violence is a huge issue in our communities. If his behaviour was so bad that he's brought the game into disrepute (which I'd agree he has) then why not cancel his registration? Let him re-apply at some time in the future when he can mount an argument for re-admission. He's only young, and obviously people can sometimes change and learn from their errors.

As it is - he has a ban of what, 18 or 20 weeks, for what was reported as a quite serious domestic violence assault. As I said, where does that figure come from?

Tandy apparently is getting life for jeopardising the interests of punters. GI gets nothing for a less serious domestic violence incident. Marshall gets nothing for an assault (which he admitted, winning his court case on a technicality that it wasn't proved whose blow injured the victim), and Stewart gets 4 weeks for being intoxicated.

The courts ruled Anthony Cherrington's domestic assault merited a harsher penalty than Lui got - yet I don't think he was suspended at all by the NRL.

RE: Robert Lui Banned for season.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/nrl/contrite-cowboy-robert-lui-ready-to-plead-for-mercy/story-e6frfgbo-1226434293809

Lui was banned from NRL for 12 months in April, now he is ready to make it 6 months :dodgy:

Mrs Lui's pleas for mercy fell on Lui's deaf ears:mad:
A report by Lukins, obtained by The Courier-Mail, supports Lui, stating: "Any opportunity for him (Lui) to play rugby league in some form of competitive environment would likely be beneficial to his personal rehabilitation." Yet, both assaults that he was charged with, were effected after Lui's Season End Bash:huh:

Interesting to see how the ARLC manage this - 50% of their market, at least, will not be swayed by the contrition of a repeat offender.

Sad all round.

RE: Robert Lui Banned for season.

The NRL seems to be putting itself up as the arbiter of moral standards here. And the Cherrington/Lui cases seem to point at a racial divide. Perhaps the NRL should look at getting away from the reactions of banning players from the game for non-work related indiscretions. Other remedies are available. Perhaps Lui could play, and put aside two days per week to work in women's shelters, supervised by the club who wants to sign him. Or donate half his pay to such organizations. banning the bloke doesn't seem to satisfy much, except the newshounds.

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 3 4 17 8
7 4 3 -8 8
8 4 4 -60 8