Rule Changes between 1973 and Now

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
I liked the Union rule where you had to have a doctor confirm you were injured before you could be replaced.

eagle66 said:
EagleFromMay1967 said:
eagle66 said:
Sometime in the the 70's, the replacement had to play at least half a lower grade game.

Line drop out from catching a ball in your own in goal and getting tackled!
Toss at the start of the match.
Teams facing up for the toss on half way to start the game.
2nd grade finishing 5 minutes before the main game.
Literally no live footy and you had enough time to get home from a game and watch Rex's game of the round, usually it was the match of the round. At least he explained his reasons for picking the game on the Monday night news.

Rex was great, a lot more 'flavour' than Ray effing Warren. Before Rex there was this guy called Ron Casey, not the one on Rex's Sunday morning League show, ANOTHER ONE. He wasnt bad, but Seven took it over, and Rex had the distinction of taking no bs from anyone, calling as it he saw it, he allowed himself to get incredibly excited whilst commentating, AND HE WAS A former MANLY Union and League international, and bled Maroon & White all his life. He was the King of tautology and he knew it, played up to it, didnt take himself so seriously. The current TV people have to be soooo PC, its such a restriction.

But there WAS live TV League on Saturday arvos. The ABC TV did it from the late 60's until the late 70s. Match of the Day. I can vaguely remember the introduction of their "Action Replay" an incredible revolution in technology.

In the late 60's, Channel 9 did 2nd half live on Sundays with Ron Casey. No TV in 1971, great initiative from the League and Channel 2 had 2nd half live in 1973 before going to 55 minute coverage at 6pm on Saturdays in 1974. Somewhere around the mid 80's, Channel 2 went to live Saturdays in Sydney. Prior to that, they did some years live to the country areas, I recall trying to find friends who were able to get channel 5A.

We could get 5A in allambie hts, also win tv from the gong on a good day. Must have been the elevation. Especially handy to watch cricket when it was at the scg, do not broadcast in Sydney.

I suspect players were allowed to have sex in the 70s. I note that the nrl integrity unit is investigating Conrad hurrell, who appears to have committed the horrific crime of having a sex life.

Shoe1 said:
I suspect players were allowed to have sex in the 70s. I note that the nrl integrity unit is investigating Conrad hurrell, who appears to have committed the horrific crime of having a sex life.

If, as tosser gyngell stated publicly, that ch nein now own the game....shouldn't the integrity unit be investigating him??

*Note - gotta get richer as then the police let you do anything!

Dan said:
there was a change where Manly were to be penalised under every conceivable infringement each game, not sure when it was introduced though

Didn't work did it.

No night games. I can only vaguely remember it but all games bar one were on Sunday afternoons at 3pm. The progress scores were read out by the ground announcer every 20 minutes or so. So funny when the Eels or Dogs were unexpectedly getting down over by Norths or Canberra and the Manly crowd booed or cheered each score depending on who was winning.

[video=youtube]http://youtu.be/yldJ5bJ1YMg[/video]

Balls.

Yeah they used to be leather, and these synthetic ones have made a world of difference to the game.

Ok, lets evolve the thread to what changes to the rules and aspects of the game have NOT been worth it. I' m guessing a majority of you agree that most of the changes have been what the Fans want. The game is faster, more spectacular. In fact a quick read thru of this thread indicates there have been HUNDREDS of changes. Is it in fact still Rugby League?

For example one rule change I don't like is the No Punching rule. Wot a bunch of pansies. Another I don't agree with is the No Striking for the ball in the Play The Ball a la George Piggins rule.

Has the game changed too fast and the public can't keep up ?

Nothing like trying to kick goals with a sodden leather ball.

Think the only night games were the Amco/KB cup games.

Didn't they change the dead in goal rule a while back to stop players putting their foot outside the deadball line and touching the ball that was stationary in the in goal area ?? I think the ball has to be still moving for that to apply now.

EagleFromMay1967 said:
* Shoulder charges were allowed
* punching was allowed - sort of ;)
Don't forget stiff-arms (coathangers), elbows, knees headbutts.
Many old time players had missing teeth and faces that were bent in several different directions from the traditional softening up periods. We don't need that in the game, we have cage fighting now.

you're right, matt ballin would have not kept his looks after 150 games at hooker in the 70s.

Tatts were for prisoners and servicemen in the 70s

Well i didnt exist until till late 80s, but from old games ive watched:

* the flying wedge is now banned
* You would have to actually touch the ball with your foot when you played the ball, now you just have to perceive to touch it.

One playing strip - no matter where you played.
A choice of colours in shorts – black or white.
Small steps taken wearing different coloured boots were more like staggers.:s
And did the experiment in having player numbers on the front of jerseys stop because of sponsorship - or was it because the opposition didn't have to lift their head so high to see who just poked them in the eye and pulled at their (very long at the time) hair.:rolleyes:

I saw Bozo score a try in the 1972 grand final and saw the opposition player pull his hair so hard it banged the back of his head into the ground and left him a bit dazed.

You couldn't do that today - Bozo has no hair. :D

Also 2V used to get clocked around the head so many times in the 90's it became the normal way to tackle him. I saw it done right in front of Bill Harrigan - nothing was done.

It was a tough game then played by tough guys.

EaglesDontTweet said:
And did the experiment in having player numbers on the front of jerseys stop because of sponsorship - or was it because the opposition didn't have to lift their head so high to see who just poked them in the eye and pulled at their (very long at the time) hair.:rolleyes:

Don't know what era you are talking about, but before fancy materials the numbers used to be plastic .... the ball when it hit you on the chest just slid off. This is the main reason the iconic big white eagle on the front of the 50's jersey was lost.

In the 60's there weren't any trainers, you had the St John's Ambulance men.
Also there was no Ray Hadley, but guys like Frank Hyde and Tiger Black, who actually called the game, rather than this vaudeville show that is on every week.

Daddycool08 said:
I saw Bozo score a try in the 1972 grand final and saw the opposition player pull his hair so hard it banged the back of his head into the ground and left him a bit dazed.
That's odd, cause Bozo did not score a try during the 1972 GF. :huh:
Besides '72 is before the perview of this thread. :D
He did score a couple however, in the 1973 GF.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6