Run Koula Run

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
I just feel he is too light weight to be an effective centre. Easily contained. remember Craig Innes. Craig would bust out of tackles into open space. Same with Terry Hill. Koula is quick but too small to be an effective centre IMHO. Koula would be similar size to Kerry boustead (winger)

I just feel he is too light weight to be an effective centre. Easily contained. remember Craig Innes. Craig would bust out of tackles into open space. Same with Terry Hill. Koula is quick but too small to be an effective centre IMHO. Koula would be similar size to Kerry boustead (winger)
Hes a very strong kid though. He takes the ball up a lot and more times than not, he'll bend the line. I think with a bit more room to move, he'll be making more of those breaks.

Last edited:
I agree its frustrating not to see him getting into open space. However, I believe he is not getting the ball in good position and too often used as a battering ram. Shuster favors the left side and is putting his outside players through gaps (when he plays) - sheesh even Parker hit a hole last week running off him. DCE has to link up better with the right edge.
Parker is a good hole runner.

Early ball is the key and one on one against opposite. They ran a good play on Sunday and ball went to turbo. Next time it might be koula’s.

It's frustrating because when Harper was in the side the ball kept finding him with half break opportunities that Koula would have easily turned into clean breaks and try scoring chances. We need to use Ola as a decoy just a little bit to keep the defence honest and give Koula early ball to work with.

I don't think they use Ola as a decoy runner enough to find space for Koula. When Ola gets the pill he rarely passes it.

As mentioned, also doesn't help the Shoe only plays the other side and Cherry only has eyes for Ola.

When Turbo scored off the Saab break on the weekend, Koula was literally jogging next to him.

t's frustrating because when Harper was in the side the ball kept finding him with half break opportunities that Koula would have easily turned into clean breaks and try scoring chances.
Harper had the footy smarts to put himself into those positions, but not the pace to go on with it. Koula is a little bit the opposite so far. He has some footwork and great strength, it's just a matter of time.
Haumole too, both great talents but sometimes look clunky. It's tempting to blame DCE but I suspect it's more likely the inexperienced duo. For example, has anyone seen Haumole run onto the ball? It's very unconventional the way he stands flat, trots forward, then makes a huge power surge just before the line. It's a quite different way of doing things.

Agree
If we are to run sideways with options our backline and edges MUST be deep

We continually play flat until
We get on a roll which then forces us to be deep
Watch souffs
Watch Riff
They are 30 metres deep mans all running at pace which gives space and was how Tom made his mark

Harper had the footy smarts to put himself into those positions, but not the pace to go on with it. Koula is a little bit the opposite so far. He has some footwork and great strength, it's just a matter of time.
Haumole too, both great talents but sometimes look clunky. It's tempting to blame DCE but I suspect it's more likely the inexperienced duo. For example, has anyone seen Haumole run onto the ball? It's very unconventional the way he stands flat, trots forward, then makes a huge power surge just before the line. It's a quite different way of doing things.

It must be from his volleyball/basketball background. Small steps, then a big surge.

But surely the coaching staff must be able to coach him to run onto the ball with more of a run up - he would be almost unstoppable then, especially with a pass just before the line.

Why arent the coaches sorting this out?

Koula is one of those guys that I (maybe unfairly) expect more from..
All we hear about is this blistering speed he has, yet I honestly can’t remember more than a couple of times over the last year and a qtr when I’ve actually seen him use it… never seems to get himself into space, always seems just happy to stand out wide and not really do much when manly attack..
My first thought is “give him time.. he’s young, not a career centre, he will improve, etc etc” but at the same time, if it’s true union want to pay him 800k I can’t see the value in manly trying to match it based on what he’s shown so far in his career

I'm very disappointed that Koula has not been tearing up the backfield.
The guy is lightning no question. He has been good at centre but has not taken the next step this year.
Does he need to go looking for the ball more to get the chances? Do we need to get him early ball and let him beat guys on the outside? ( Never seems to cut back in to the middle). Is it a case that Turbo chiming in spoil his runs?
He should take the ball of scrums so he can urs his accelerator too.

I can't wait to see him fly, maybe with DCE at origin we will see him Run Koula Run.

Put Schuster on the right of the field and you will probably see the effectiveness of a ball player who can (and does) straighten, run to the line and draw defenders, then pass to their outside men in a space they can work with.

I thought Tolutau was quite busy in our last game.

Ran for over 100 metres, 6 tackle breaks, etc.

I did think at times, previously that he was quiet and wondered if he should go looking for more work, but against the Raiders, I was happy. It looked like he was searching for work.

(Maybe he realised Haumole does't pass a lot, lol).

what I'm trying to say (as the caffeine hasn't kicked in) is I thought he did what this thread was asking against the raiders.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4