Run Koula Run

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Might have been Tolu's best game against the Sharks. He's been a potential weapon ever since coming into the team but maybe he's decided to stop waiting for things to happen, and just take it on himself to make things happen.
I think he's been a bit hampered by a leg injury for most of this year but he could be about to explode in the way we've all imagined he could.
It seemed to me like there was a definite plan to shift earlier to our right side v the Sharks.
Was it to get Koula and Saab more space or was it to test out their dodgy left hand side?
Or both?

Whatever the plan was Haumole and Koula looked way more involved and dangerous.

Just reading a few post regarding Koula to FB, I’m with you guys, been thinking it for quite a while and not just as a temporary thing.

Couple of things swing my thoughts, the cows DW, the Bronc’s RW, Melbourne when Paps plays, to some extent the Sharks with Kennedy, Knights with Ponga all have that dynamic at the back, built off pace and support play. I know Tom was great and might still be when and if he starts to have an injury free run, but can Tom offer the side more elsewhere? I believe he can and I believe Koula can become the next Walsh, Paps, Drinkwater, Turbo at FB.

Koula has the potential to give us that same attacking dynamic, maybe even better with his speed, his wasted at centre, I know we have Tom to consider, but even when he returns we can possibly make better use of both players, a positional switch, give Tom a rovering commission, similar to his origin role, I would even liked to see Tom at 6 for us, (probably not happening with Brooks, unless he spends time @ 9 or 14)

A centre pairing of Tom and Rubes would be up there with most of the leading sides, size, speed, a little work on Rubes defence, but a really strong pairing all the same.

Shift Koula to FB permanently, not just for a couple of games, he has to be given sufficient time, similar to Walsh, whose developed into the best attacking 1 in the game. (If or when our race for the finals ends, I’d love to see it for the rest of the season, Rubes gets time in the centres that way as well, gives us a bit of a head start for next year) Koula for mine is a a little small as a centre 3 quarter, his on equal footings with the other FB‘s I’ve mentioned, his not worried about returning the ball, if all our players hit it up with the same intensity we’d be happy. Defensively he won’t shy away from the contest and has the speed to be really effective cleaning up at the back. (Tom while being great at 1 May be more suspect to being burned these days) Koula might need to find a voice and learn to direct our defence, which I’m sure he could adapt too, after all Tom and snake could help him with all these facets, it won’t be long and he’ll be 50 games into grade and finding his own self belief. He looked good filling in there the other week, his played some FB and has all the ingredients to be a massive success at 1.

Anyway I could bash on about it, probably already have, but it’s not my call, just think our side would benefit big time if we went that way, don’t know that Seibs or Tom would want a bar of it, however its about strengthening and improving our side, Payton made huge positional switches with the cows roster and its paid off for them.

Consider this backline,
1 Koula
2 Saab
3 Rubes
4 Turbo (would still like to see Tom @ 6) and find another Centre or play Parker, Talau or Tui, while we continue rebuilding, we should of bought To’a instead of Talau if we had to keep picking up Tigers players)
5 Paulo

6 Brooks (Turbo - Brooks to share 9 from 14? our backline has plenty of cover via positional shifts)
7 DCE

That backline playing off our experienced halves should be competitive against any side, our pack is the question mark and the second part of the puzzle, with some tweaking and or an astute purchase or 2, we could have a really positive 24.

Last edited:
Just reading a few post regarding Koula to FB, I’m with you guys, been thinking it for quite a while and not just as a temporary thing.

Couple of things swing my thoughts, the cows DW, the Bronc’s RW, Melbourne when Paps plays, to some extent the Sharks with Kennedy, Knights with Ponga all have that dynamic at the back, built off pace and support play. I know Tom was great and might still be when and if he starts to have an injury free run, but can Tom offer the side more elsewhere? I believe he can and I believe Koula can become the next Walsh, Paps, Drinkwater, Turbo at FB.

Koula has the potential to give us that same attacking dynamic, maybe even better with his speed, his wasted at centre, I know we have Tom to consider, but even when he returns we can possibly make better use of both players, a positional switch, give Tom a rovering commission, similar to his origin role, I would even liked to see Tom at 6 for us, (probably not happening with Brooks, unless he spends time @ 9 or 14)

A centre pairing of Tom and Rubes would be up there with most of the leading sides, size, speed, a little work on Rubes defence, but a really strong pairing all the same.

Shift Koula to FB permanently, not just for a couple of games, he has to be given sufficient time, similar to Walsh, whose developed into the best attacking 1 in the game. (If or when our race for the finals ends, I’d love to see it for the rest of the season, Rubes gets time in the centres that way as well, gives us a bit of a head start for next year) Koula for mine is a a little small as a centre 3 quarter, his on equal footings with the other FB‘s I’ve mentioned, his not worried about returning the ball, if all our players hit it up with the same intensity we’d be happy. Defensively he won’t shy away from the contest and has the speed to be really effective cleaning up at the back. (Tom while being great at 1 May be more suspect to being burned these days) Koula might need to find a voice and learn to direct our defence, which I’m sure he could adapt too, after all Tom and snake could help him with all these facets, it won’t be long and he’ll be 50 games into grade and finding his own self belief. He looked good filling in there the other week, his played some FB and has all the ingredients to be a massive success at 1.

Anyway I could bash on about it, probably already have, but it’s not my call, just think our side would benefit big time if we went that way, don’t know that Seibs or Tom would want a bar of it, however its about strengthening and improving our side, Payton made huge positional switches with the cows roster and its paid off for them.

Consider this backline,
1 Koula
2 Saab
3 Rubes
4 Turbo (would still like to see Tom @ 6) and find another Centre or play Parker, Talau or Tui, while we continue rebuilding, we should of bought To’a instead of Talau if we had to keep picking up Tigers players)
5 Paulo

6 Brooks (Turbo - Brooks to share 9 from 14? our backline has plenty of cover via positional shifts)
7 DCE

That backline playing off our experienced halves should be competitive against any side, our pack is the question mark and the second part of the puzzle, with some tweaking and or an astute purchase or 2, we could have a really positive 24.
Don't mind it but I don't think Turbo will willingly play centre.

I have been vehemently opposed to playing Tom at centre as he is the best 1 at the club (don’t weaken a more important position to strengthen another, etc).

However, that was an opinion I held when I assumed we would eventually get a lucky break and Tom would play injury free. Surely his luck will turn at some point, I reasoned. Sadly, that hasn’t materialised and luck appears to play no part in his injuries. So we never have a chance to develop combinations in the spine and our season hinges on whether Tom is fit or not.

But maybe, just maybe, we put some time into developing Koula at 1 and we can reach a point where we are a better side with Tom available (playing centre), but not a complete rudderless ship without him?!

It’s something I would previously never have considered plausible but the more we see Tom’s injuries impact our fortunes, the more I’m inclined to entertain alternatives…anyway, I don’t get a say in what happens, but food for thought none the less!

Shift Koula to FB permanently, not just for a couple of games, he has to be given sufficient time, similar to Walsh, whose developed into the best attacking 1 in the game. (If or when our race for the finals ends, I’d love to see it for the rest of the season, Rubes gets time in the centres that way as well, gives us a bit of a head start for next year) Koula for mine is a a little small as a centre 3 quarter, his on equal footings with the other FB‘s I’ve mentioned, his not worried about returning the ball, if all our players hit it up with the same intensity we’d be happy. Defensively he won’t shy away from the contest and has the speed to be really effective cleaning up at the back. (Tom while being great at 1 May be more suspect to being burned these days) Koula might need to find a voice and learn to direct our defence, which I’m sure he could adapt too, after all Tom and snake could help him with all these facets, it won’t be long and he’ll be 50 games into grade and finding his own self belief.
Most of the players you mention are proficient in the halves as which means they have a good pass and vision plus they're confident with their voice too.

Snake and Slater changed fullback play somewhat despite having speed they also developed a great passing game that made them elite.

Lockyer went the other way - from fullback to five eighth - a Bennett master stroke.

Qld didn't quite have "it" with Brimson at fullback, Parra don't have it without Guffo, we don't have it without Turbo - even he had troubles with ball playing occasionally still.

Yes, Garrick is just filling in but l think his experience offers more in organisational skills and having a voice than Koula at this stage.

Consider this backline,
1 Koula
2 Saab
3 Rubes
5 Paulo

7 DCE

Not totally against this idea - especially if we were 'trying it out' when this seasons chances of making finals are gone. Like you said, he's got almost all the attributes to make a success of it. The only two areas I'd be concerned with would be his passing game - especially long cutout passes (he may be capable, but I just haven't seen it) and (as you mentioned) his defensive organisational skills. That second aspect is massive. I reckon it takes ages to develop that side of things and you need real self confidence to pull it off successfully. Not sure Koula is really there at the moment - but like you said, perhaps with training he'd get there. probs take a while though.

Guess that it is just good to have that degree of versatility and real quality with Manly 's current listing of outside backs .
Really could not see the overall benefit however of swapping Turbo and Koula . , Garrick "s role next season will be the interesting option , could well end up in the centres .
Rubs also seems to be gaining a bit more confidence and better input at the back . No doubt koula is more then capable of doing well as a one also but then would weaken one centre position . would still rate him the best all round centre in the club at the moment .
Always good to look again at alternatives and trying to get best value out of the available talent but just how to get Turbo back to playing full seasons [ or near ] and as a premier full back [ again what seems on balance his best fit ] still the biggest problem and in order for the side to reach its optimum potential .

I'm all for keeping Koula at centre tbh, what I saw against the Sharks and the combo with Saab looks really promising now. And will only get better when Tom gets back on deck again next year.
But will Tom really be back on deck next year? Or will this be a recurring scenario of a handful of games per year, season after season?

I think the club needs to be proactive and put in place a viable solution, instead of just hoping and wishing. Otherwise, we will continue to be crippled

Invest in a serious fullback. Koula seems a good fit. If Tom does make it on the paddock, we will only be stronger. You can't keep losing your fullback and expect to have any sort of continuity, let alone growth as a team

But will Tom really be back on deck next year? Or will this be a recurring scenario of a handful of games per year, season after season?

I think the club needs to be proactive and put in place a viable solution, instead of just hoping and wishing. Otherwise, we will continue to be crippled

Invest in a serious fullback. Koula seems a good fit. If Tom does make it on the paddock, we will only be stronger. You can't keep losing your fullback and expect to have any sort of continuity, let alone growth as a team
Just have to think positive and hope Tom doesn't have anymore season ending injuries, surely he's due for a period of good fortune on this. Right now I would find it hard replacing Garrick at fullback, he's ticking all the right boxes as far as I can see. Why weaken a position when we are showing strength in the centre position now, and is working well with Saab now. Garrick's so reliable, and I worry about Koula taking bombs under pressure, which is not his forte.

He was our best tonight! The other thing I really like about him is his increased enthusiasm. Suddenly he is quite excited and animated about our team. Lots of jumping with excitement and high fives and what not.

He is my favourite Eagle! Love the speed and the excitement he brings when he touches the ball. I’m a huge fan!

He stayed with our great club rather than taking the money in Rugby, for that alone, he'll be one of my faves.

For speed and ability he'll also be one of my faves. I like him in the centres, keep him there, he was electric tonight, but good knowing that he can cover the number 1.

I'm still on the keep Turbo at fullback bandwagon, but one more injury will change that tune i think..

Koula & saab are starting to create havoc with the opposition with there speed.
The last couple of weeks Koula has gone to another level with his attack, and there's no reason his upward trajectory won't continue. And you're right about Saab, he too is hitting his straps. He's known as a speed machine but has plenty of skill too, for example his timing of passes to inside supports is excellent, and his flick last week to Koula was no fluke.
Genuine attacking guns in this Manly side, providing everyone else is doing their boring jobs of course.

The last couple of weeks Koula has gone to another level with his attack, and there's no reason his upward trajectory won't continue. And you're right about Saab, he too is hitting his straps. He's known as a speed machine but has plenty of skill too, for example his timing of passes to inside supports is excellent, and his flick last week to Koula was no fluke.
Genuine attacking guns in this Manly side, providing everyone else is doing their boring jobs of course.
Agreed. Cant help thinking how good these two flyers would be with the Shu playing down their side. Especially given the Shu now taking on the defence more as we saw last night. Massive potential don that right side which is fairly limited atm with Haumole. Potentially switch Tolu to the left side but then you would be breaking up a great partnership forming with Saab. Something our much vaunted coaching staff should consider.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 99 14
7 6 1 54 14
7 5 2 36 12
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
7 4 3 49 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 3 4 17 8
8 4 4 -14 8
8 4 4 -16 8