• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
and I dont need you to blow me once a week either

not sure what thats got to do with it?

I dont conduct in sexual activity with my pets, you may well and that could be the reason you thought others might but most do not. I jsut hope you dont kick the dog out in winter once your done.

and the comedown is a bitch, especially when I pull out the banhammer.

just kidding

Science is cool ok?

Just be careful hey....otherwise I will have to send my white coated mates around. They will open a can of Newton's third law on your a$$.

not sure what thats got to do with it?

I dont conduct in sexual activity with my pets, you may well and that could be the reason you thought others might but most do not. I jsut hope you dont kick the dog out in winter once your done.

If you lived in Lebabon it would be fine if you wanted to muck around with your 'female' bird- but no same sex relationships with animals- that's just weird (true)

[quote author=Daniel]
and the comedown is a bitch, especially when I pull out the banhammer.

just kidding

Science is cool ok?

Just be careful hey....otherwise I will have to send my white coated mates around. They will open a can of Newton's third law on your a$$.
[/quote]

Hey matt not sure if this is up your alley but did you see below?

Scientists make light pulses dance

IN a sub-atomic light show that has had quantum physicists shaking their heads in wonder, US scientists have made a tiny pulse of light stop, jump from one group of atoms to another and then continue on its merry way.

The experiments, conducted at Harvard University, are consistent with quantum mechanics, the laws governing the behaviour of atoms that Albert Einstein postulated in the 1920s at a time when it was technically impossible to prove him right or wrong.

But the results are still startling, say scientists, because they were so hard to demonstrate and because of their potential applications in technology.

"When I saw the study I did not at first believe it,'' said Michael Fleischhauer, a professor at the Technical University in Kaiserslautern, Germany.

"It shows that we are entering a state of unprecedented experimental control of coherent light and matter waves.''

To get the light beams to dance from one cloud to another, Naomi Ginsberg and a team of physicists at Harvard fired a laser into a cloud of atoms that had been deep chilled into a slow-moving state known as Bose-Einstein condensate.

The pulse of light, composed of particles called photons, was "slowed down from 300,000 kilometers per second to 20 kilometers per hour'' and then to a standstill, its information stored inside the frigid, treacly cloud, one of the authors, Lene Vestergaard Hau, said.

What has happened up to this point is a phenomenon well known to scientists.

But when the the laser was turned off, the light pulse made an imprint - "like a hologram,'' that started moving slowly until it exited the condensate cloud into free space.

"What you wind up with is an absolute perfect copy of the light pulse, but in matter form,'' Ms Hau said.

And then, in a true "quantum leap'', the transformed photons entered into the neighboring condensate cloud a fraction of a millimeter away, where the original light field reappeared.

"It is one of those things that are known from theory but are still counter-intuitive,'' said Mr Fleischhauer, who wrote a commentary which like the study is published in the British journal Nature tomorrow.

The team said harnessing the "matter waves'' contained in atoms would make it possible to design ultra-accurate atomic clocks, gravity detectors and interferometers used to measure rotations and accelerations.

Yeah pretty impressive that. Those sorts of things could eventually be used for making a quantum computer-using individual atoms to store information. Just imagine how much p0rn there would be if we had computers that powerful.

Only problem is they were using a thing called the Bose Einstein condensate-a state of matter (like solids, liquids and gases) that exists only at pretty much absolute zero. That is minus 273 degrees. so each computer might have to come with a rather strong refrigeration unit.

Which is why Fluffy it is a myth! If it were not a myth then enough simple controlled experiments would be able to be performed.

Plain and simple it may have some effect but the general myth is exactly that...a myth.

Well the Coriolis effect is true, but it is so weak that you would never see it happening in your sink. So yeah, it is a myth. But seeing as it is going to be right about 50% of the time, I think it might hang around for a while.

Oh yeah, and if there are any mythbusters jobs going I would like to put my hand up. Also, if there are any positions going with the red headed chick from that show I would like to put my hand (or something else) up for those as well. For those who didn't work it out, my old avatar with the guy's head sticking out of the toilet is actually Adam from Mythbusters.

Staff online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 3 4 17 8