Salary Cap Witch Hunt. **Appeal unsuccessful**

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
  • Wwe are currently experience some server issues which I am working through and hoping to resolve soon, Please bare with me whilst I work through making some changes and possible intermittent outages.
  • Apologies all our server was runing rogue. I managed to get us back to a point from 2:45 today though there is an attachment issue i will fix shortly. Things should be smooth now though

Budgie

In for the long haul.
2016 Tipping Competitor
Tipping Member
sure, or we could just make a blanket statement like:
The left can't abide anyone having an opinion that differs from their own, and will shout down anyone who expresses that opinion at every opportunity.
Hows that budgewoi? If we can agree on that, lets move on. Go Manly.
Excellent. Thank you xx

HappilyManly

Journey Man
In the article by BRENT READ from the Australian Scott Penn does state “The money is not there. We do not have a leagues club that is supporting the Sea Eagles’ finances”

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/spo...g/news-story/5aee17b12cb967231bf3be530482a45f

Changing the subject from all the drama and I will declare I’m not for either camp be it Penn, Delmege or the leagues club, however, I am ever so grateful that they came to our rescue and it’s what prompted me to become a football club member rather than just a leagues club member.

Which begs the question. And I hope someone who is far more versed in the ongoing of what has happened in the past. It’s much more important to have a successful leagues club behind the team and to also have a place for us simple fans to congregate before and after a game.

What would it take for all warring parties to let bygones be bygones and come together for the better interest of the clubs financial stability and survival? Surely this has to be a priority for Scott Penn to have a functioning front office and respect the great history of the past.

Yes, this is a little naive by me but surely someone please stand up, hand outstretched and let’s all get back on the same wagon without animosity and maybe these chit stories will stop breaking.
The Franchise bought out the LC's Board Seat, that's why there is no input from them.
The LC is trading at a continual loss and will relocate to the North Manly Bowling Club in 2019 as part of their merger.@:cool:

Bit precious to expect a shareholder to finance an entity that bought out its one and only vote. :rolleyes:

Especially as there is no requirement in the MSE Constitution for anyone but the Owner Party to contribute financialy :shake:

Good try Scotty :p

Kevinward777

First Grader
sure, or we could just make a blanket statement like:
The left can't abide anyone having an opinion that differs from their own, and will shout down anyone who expresses that opinion at every opportunity.
Hows that budgewoi? If we can agree on that, lets move on. Go Manly.
That's right.

Mentioned in the article as nothing eventuating from them, I.e. It was rubbish, hence why manly kept asking for evidence and no one could supply any.

Papers sell in different ways these days, no longer is it a sport, it's a gossip target
Ok thanks for that don't you love it how whenever we do good they always try to bring us down what's our motto again stronger together?
fake news people

Chip and Chase

True Supporter
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
Tipping Member
The Franchise bought out the LC's Board Seat, that's why there is no input from them.
The LC is trading at a continual loss and will relocate to the North Manly Bowling Club in 2019 as part of their merger.@:cool:

Bit precious to expect a shareholder to finance an entity that bought out its one and only vote. :rolleyes:

Especially as there is no requirement in the MSE Constitution for anyone but the Owner Party to contribute financialy :shake:

Maybe Scott will have some money available "indirectly" from the LC once the site he bought and sold is developed and turns a tidy profit. Apartments are way more lucrative than Poker Machines.

Go manly

Bencher
Premium Member
Tipping Member
I'm posting this again as it took me ages to create it to convince the 'inside unverifiable source' to tell me about it.

nudge nudge wink wink

PtM4etB.png
Hahahaha hahahahahaha
going to modify and send to my company performance management team

It looks exactly the same

Peter C

Bencher
All I know is a subscription to The Australian probably won't fix anything.
Here the full article
NRL

Manly owner Scott Penn denies salary cap rorting

Manly boss Scott Penn has rejected allegations of salary cap breaches
The game’s governing body last night confirmed the integrity unit would investigate claims involving the Sea Eagles, although they also revealed they were not in possession of any information that could warrant disciplinary action.

Reports last night suggested police had uncovered cases around the NRL, although not necessarily at Manly, of spot fixing, money laundering and illegal cash payments — one said to be worth as much as $300,000. At least one Manly player is suspected of receiving secret cash payments in previous years.

It is understood the NRL has had concerns about the Sea Eagles for several weeks, apparently relating to a series of staff issues that led to key officials departing. Among them was chief executive Tim Cleary, who left after less than a year at the helm of the club. There is no suggestion Cleary has done anything untoward.

It is believed some staff have spoken to the NRL integrity unit since their departure. It is not known whether Cleary is one of them. Regardless, the NRL has stepped up their investigation into Manly amid allegations surrounding their payment of players in past years. The club has also been the subject of matchfixing allegations by NSW Police and the NSW Crime Commission for more than a year. Although that investigation has thus far come up empty-handed — the suspicion is that it only remains open because the police are wary of the backlash if they close it down without any result — their investigation may have inadvertently stumbled across evidence that points to salary cap irregularities.

Police officials met with the NRL earlier this week but sources denied any evidence had been passed on to the governing body. The NRL backed up that claim last night when they confirmed they were not in possession of any evidence that would warrant sanctions against Manly.

“However, we are in constant dialogue with the police and we will take action if it is warranted,” an NRL spokesman said.

Penn was understandably frustrated. His club was put through the wringer little more than 12 months ago by the matchfixing allegations. Those claims appear to have been unfounded, but police have kept an investigation open.

There were reports last night that while the police have failed to discover any evidence of matchfixing, they may have discovered potential abuse of the game’s third party sponsorship rules.

Abuse of the third party system was largely responsible for the salary cap scandal at Parramatta, which resulted in the club being fined $1 million and docked 12 premiership points. The Eels were forced to shed several players as they attempted to manoeuvre their way back under the cap.

254bd4e2545b6c4b2da2b23936cbd6b2

Penn was horrified by the suggestion his club could been involved in anything untoward.

“If there is substance in any of this then bring it out and we will deal with any consequences but there’s certainly nothing I am aware of,” Penn said “It’s a disgraceful notion. Firstly, in our family we have impeccable moral standards. This is not anything we would ever be involved in. We have spent the last 10 years plugging financial holes in our balance sheet. The last thing we’re going to be doing is allocating players to be paid outside their contracts.

“The money is not there. We do not have a leagues club that is supporting the Sea Eagles’ finances.

“We have a strong sponsorship base but we also need to build more. Being a privately owned club we’re scratching together every dollar we can. It’s bizarre. The matchfixing (allegations and investigation) we couldn’t control.

“The one thing we can control is third parties. I am not sure why we’re constantly being targeted. We have said all along with allegations that we will comply.

“If people bring forward evidence and we will deal with the consequences. This is just another case of our brand being unfairly targeted, which is difficult to swallow given there is no opportunity to defend ourselves and the first we hear about it is when it is splashed over the internet and social media. It’s purely innuendo.”

Penn admitted his concern that the allegations could affect their season. “At this point, when we feel like we’re getting some positive momentum, we’re suddenly dragged down again,” he said.

“I have a strong relationship with the salary cap guys at the NRL. We fully comply and we’re totally transparent. “
newscorpau_reference_widget-458
pages

Reader comments on this site are moderated before publication to promote lively and civil debate. We encourage your comments but submitting one does not guarantee publication. We publish hundreds of comments daily, and if a comment is rejected it is likely because it does not meet with our comment guidelines, which you can read here. No correspondence will be entered into if a comment is declined.

1 comment

Anthony 1 hour ago
A joke. Get the evidence and present a proper case instead of listening to innuendo put forward by people with a grudge against the club. You would have thought the powers that be would have learnt from the 'darkest day in sports' fiasco.

Last edited by a moderator:

OneEyedEagle

Bencher

Didn't realise that LC board seat was bought out, so out of touch. That makes sense now.

Think we may need to consider the NRL's attitude towards Snake's & Matai's NRL non acceptance of medical retirement; the fact that all the six Manly players "supposably " involved with the betting "scandal" are no longer with the club, nor given a farewell from the club, begs the question on whether we have managed their exit from NRL? Obviously a very tickly topic, and agreed there is no actual evidence they match fixed and not suggesting so, but some did have a bit of a gambling problem. As Dan says, you do need to be careful on what one should share on this site, I have been to a couple of those players "poker nights" that were club sanctioned. Could also add further factual events provided by other clubs as well via other sponsorship deals that most likely would be worse than that I experienced at Manly. Most of them in "real life" would be considered funny as, but for a reporter they would be treated as sensational news. I share them often over a beer with mates.
Des, I would suggest you need to clean your Manly glasses, they are footballers, they are young guys with money and plenty of time and yes they will make juvenile mistakes, further that most of us mortals will do every weekend. Yes, getting drunk, bashing someone, taking drugs and domestic violence is against the law and Yes they should suffer what all of us would have to do in the face of the law, as that is not acceptable.

Happy to take all the negs on this... but it happens in every club. And Des, yes Donald claims everything is fake news, but is it?
more fake news

HappilyManly

Journey Man
Didn't realise that LC board seat was bought out, so out of touch. That makes sense now.
Technicaly the deal meant that the LC Board seat is filled by the Owners. Same effect-> LC have no votes

I just noted this in response to why the LC is not contributing monies to the Franchise

HappilyManly

Journey Man
Here the full article
NRL

Manly owner Scott Penn denies salary cap rorting

Manly boss Scott Penn has rejected allegations of salary cap breaches
The game’s governing body last night confirmed the integrity unit would investigate claims involving the Sea Eagles, although they also revealed they were not in possession of any information that could warrant disciplinary action.

Reports last night suggested police had uncovered cases around the NRL, although not necessarily at Manly, of spot fixing, money laundering and illegal cash payments — one said to be worth as much as $300,000. At least one Manly player is suspected of receiving secret cash payments in previous years.

It is understood the NRL has had concerns about the Sea Eagles for several weeks, apparently relating to a series of staff issues that led to key officials departing. Among them was chief executive Tim Cleary, who left after less than a year at the helm of the club. There is no suggestion Cleary has done anything untoward.

It is believed some staff have spoken to the NRL integrity unit since their departure. It is not known whether Cleary is one of them. Regardless, the NRL has stepped up their investigation into Manly amid allegations surrounding their payment of players in past years. The club has also been the subject of matchfixing allegations by NSW Police and the NSW Crime Commission for more than a year. Although that investigation has thus far come up empty-handed — the suspicion is that it only remains open because the police are wary of the backlash if they close it down without any result — their investigation may have inadvertently stumbled across evidence that points to salary cap irregularities.

Police officials met with the NRL earlier this week but sources denied any evidence had been passed on to the governing body. The NRL backed up that claim last night when they confirmed they were not in possession of any evidence that would warrant sanctions against Manly.

“However, we are in constant dialogue with the police and we will take action if it is warranted,” an NRL spokesman said.

Penn was understandably frustrated. His club was put through the wringer little more than 12 months ago by the matchfixing allegations. Those claims appear to have been unfounded, but police have kept an investigation open.

There were reports last night that while the police have failed to discover any evidence of matchfixing, they may have discovered potential abuse of the game’s third party sponsorship rules.

Abuse of the third party system was largely responsible for the salary cap scandal at Parramatta, which resulted in the club being fined $1 million and docked 12 premiership points. The Eels were forced to shed several players as they attempted to manoeuvre their way back under the cap.

254bd4e2545b6c4b2da2b23936cbd6b2

Penn was horrified by the suggestion his club could been involved in anything untoward.

“If there is substance in any of this then bring it out and we will deal with any consequences but there’s certainly nothing I am aware of,” Penn said “It’s a disgraceful notion. Firstly, in our family we have impeccable moral standards. This is not anything we would ever be involved in. We have spent the last 10 years plugging financial holes in our balance sheet. The last thing we’re going to be doing is allocating players to be paid outside their contracts.

“The money is not there. We do not have a leagues club that is supporting the Sea Eagles’ finances.

“We have a strong sponsorship base but we also need to build more. Being a privately owned club we’re scratching together every dollar we can. It’s bizarre. The matchfixing (allegations and investigation) we couldn’t control.

“The one thing we can control is third parties. I am not sure why we’re constantly being targeted. We have said all along with allegations that we will comply.

“If people bring forward evidence and we will deal with the consequences. This is just another case of our brand being unfairly targeted, which is difficult to swallow given there is no opportunity to defend ourselves and the first we hear about it is when it is splashed over the internet and social media. It’s purely innuendo.”

Penn admitted his concern that the allegations could affect their season. “At this point, when we feel like we’re getting some positive momentum, we’re suddenly dragged down again,” he said.

“I have a strong relationship with the salary cap guys at the NRL. We fully comply and we’re totally transparent. “
newscorpau_reference_widget-458
pages

Reader comments on this site are moderated before publication to promote lively and civil debate. We encourage your comments but submitting one does not guarantee publication. We publish hundreds of comments daily, and if a comment is rejected it is likely because it does not meet with our comment guidelines, which you can read here. No correspondence will be entered into if a comment is declined.

1 comment

Anthony 1 hour ago
A joke. Get the evidence and present a proper case instead of listening to innuendo put forward by people with a grudge against the club. You would have thought the powers that be would have learnt from the 'darkest day in sports' fiasco.
Scott should articulate that Manly is taking Legal advice on how to counter the continued attack of it's brand.:wait:

Pointing out the Matai compo due to Massoud's libel last year.

I don't know what other company in Oz, has so much national Media front page attack :think:

sheridanstand78

First Grader
TPA's are a blight on the game. The NRL should take responsibility for what a disaster they are as they introduced them to keep players leaving the game for other codes for more money.

All they do is allow the Broncos, with massive multinational backing to offer guaranteed money outside of the cap and accumulate a team that has 8 Origin players and 3 or four Kiwi internationals in the same team.

Manly's TPA's fall over because they are offered by the local Fish and Chip shop who reneg on them part way through because they can't afford to pay.
The monopoly the donkeys enjoy is wrong and we don't have a level playing field. While the tentacles of news filth are connected to our game it won't change. The whole cap and third party payments must be urgently reviewed!!

castle eagle

Bencher
Tipping Member
New Statement on MWSE site:

Sea Eagles Statement

Thu 6th July, 12:19PM

1499307636165.jpg;pvf980a69f9c92ec01

Here is a Statement from the Manly Warringah Sea Eagles.

“The Manly Warringah Sea Eagles confirmed today that there are NO allegations in relation to any irregularities with regard to the Club’s salary cap. The Club prides itself on strong governance and the highest level of integrity and compliance regarding the salary cap.

The Club is pleased to see reports that no allegations have been proven in relation to the 12 month match fixing investigation. The Club is proud of their record of success and took immediate action by bringing in Ray Murrihy as an integrity consultant as soon as the allegations were made. Ray wrote an extensive report which cleared the Club of any governance issues.

The Club has zero tolerance for inappropriate behavior and if any charges or substantive claims are made we will tackle them head on and cooperate fully with the authorities as we have always done.

The Club would like to recognise the overwhelming support received from our stakeholders, corporate partners, members and fans in relation to the unjustified innuendo of the past 12 months and we will continue to represent them with the utmost pride, focusing on our best practice values, behaviours and performance, both on and off the field.”

Harvies elbow

I'm a country member....... " Yes we remember "
2017 Tipping Competitor
New Statement on MWSE site:

Sea Eagles Statement

Thu 6th July, 12:19PM

1499307636165.jpg;pvf980a69f9c92ec01

Here is a Statement from the Manly Warringah Sea Eagles.

“The Manly Warringah Sea Eagles confirmed today that there are NO allegations in relation to any irregularities with regard to the Club’s salary cap. The Club prides itself on strong governance and the highest level of integrity and compliance regarding the salary cap.

The Club is pleased to see reports that no allegations have been proven in relation to the 12 month match fixing investigation. The Club is proud of their record of success and took immediate action by bringing in Ray Murrihy as an integrity consultant as soon as the allegations were made. Ray wrote an extensive report which cleared the Club of any governance issues.

The Club has zero tolerance for inappropriate behavior and if any charges or substantive claims are made we will tackle them head on and cooperate fully with the authorities as we have always done.

The Club would like to recognise the overwhelming support received from our stakeholders, corporate partners, members and fans in relation to the unjustified innuendo of the past 12 months and we will continue to represent them with the utmost pride, focusing on our best practice values, behaviours and performance, both on and off the field.”
" unjustified innuendo".
I can feel a law suit coming on.
I certainly hope so !!

Mitch

Bencher
So the possible situation is that players haven't been paid third party payments (Foran), rather than in the case of Parramatta where players weren't paid third parties so the club filtered money through channels to make player payments look like third parties.

How would Manly be in the wrong if players never received the money?

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
11 8 3 75 20
12 9 3 70 20
11 8 3 112 18
11 7 4 65 16
12 7 5 57 16
12 6 5 36 15
12 7 5 135 14
11 6 5 -9 14
11 6 5 -38 14
12 5 6 -3 13