Sam Moa

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Sao the bench in NSW Cup?

Wow!

Given the 6 props named ahead of him this is probably right and that is with Lussick at lock which I think is no chance. Assumption is no injuries and all the rumoured signings.

This is one reason why I don't think we need Lussick, even without him as a prop we could see Sao on NSW cup bench and I can't see him adding value as anything but a prop.

No desperation for Moa either in terms of numbers of props. 6 first grade props is enough with Addison and Knight 7th & 8th if we get smashed.

Given the 6 props named ahead of him this is probably right and that is with Lussick at lock which I think is no chance. Assumption is no injuries and all the rumoured signings.

This is one reason why I don't think we need Lussick, even without him as a prop we could see Sao on NSW cup bench and I can't see him adding value as anything but a prop.

No desperation for Moa either in terms of numbers of props. 6 first grade props is enough with Addison and Knight 7th & 8th if we get smashed.

I like Knight as a backrower and Addison as prop

It's not the quantity it's the quality - adding one prop in Myles isn't going to take us from equal last to a premiership. We need someone like Moa or Tamou to add to our roster.

Neither Addison or Knight are ready for first grade (as promising as they are). Lawrence is struggling with a chronic injury that will make it hard for him to perform at the top level, Starling is average at best, Jake is a great talent but he needs some experience around him in the forwards. As solid as Mason has been for us this year, next year is a step too far at his age.

In my opinion we absolutely need a 'bend the line' type prop like Moa or Tamou - even Jake isn't that type of player.

It's not the quantity it's the quality - adding one prop in Myles isn't going to take us from equal last to a premiership. We need someone like Moa or Tamou to add to our roster.

Neither Addison or Knight are ready for first grade (as promising as they are). Lawrence is struggling with a chronic injury that will make it hard for him to perform at the top level, Starling is average at best, Jake is a great talent but he needs some experience around him in the forwards. As solid as Mason has been for us this year, next year is a step too far at his age.

In my opinion we absolutely need a 'bend the line' type prop like Moa or Tamou - even Jake isn't that type of player.

Disagree on Starling - you must not have seen the game on the weekend, carried multple guys way beyond the advantage line on most carries. 12 runs for 123m, in comparison big Fifita who is a known line bender ran 15 times for 92m.

Disagree on Starling - you must not have seen the game on the weekend, carried multple guys way beyond the advantage line on most carries. 12 runs for 123m, in comparison big Fifita who is a known line bender ran 15 times for 92m.
Starling is improving

I did, I was at the game. In fairness, you can't judge a player on a single game. That is one of the few occasions he has done that, whereas Fifita has had a lot more big games under his belt (granted - some flops as well). Consistently performing at that level makes a good player, and I didn't see that from Starling last year (not counting this year too much as he has been injured for most of it).

My point is, you need your less talented / average players to play supporting roles around 3 or 4 strong / top players to be successful at the pointy end of the season (which is what brought us so much success over the last 10 years). A young gun in Jake and one old head in Myles isn't enough, hence the need for a Moa or Tamou - again, just my opinion.

Most of us have had our opinions on what the team should look like next year but what about who shouldn't be? This is my personal "disregard" team for the end of this season:

1. M.Rudolph
2. D.Berryman
3. T.Satini
4. C.Blair
5. D.Williams
6. K.Foran
7. J.Littlejohn
8. S.Vave
9. J.Horo (filled in here once)
10. W.Mason
11. J.Hasson
12. M.Chee-Kam
13. D.Lui

Bench:
14. J.Latham
15. T.Wilson
16. T.Andrews
17. N.Nayro (however you spell it)

Thoughts?

I did, I was at the game. In fairness, you can't judge a player on a single game. That is one of the few occasions he has done that, whereas Fifita has had a lot more big games under his belt (granted - some flops as well). Consistently performing at that level makes a good player, and I didn't see that from Starling last year (not counting this year too much as he has been injured for most of it).

My point is, you need your less talented / average players to play supporting roles around 3 or 4 strong / top players to be successful at the pointy end of the season (which is what brought us so much success over the last 10 years). A young gun in Jake and one old head in Myles isn't enough, hence the need for a Moa or Tamou - again, just my opinion.

I fall somewhere in between on this debate.

I actually like Starling quite a bit. I think he required that first season in first grade to bed in and at the end of last year found some real form and dare I say mongrel.

Mobile, good engine and honest (e.g. chase back v couple of outside backs last year) shows me that he is desperate to impress and improve, and improve he has.

Seems to be a bit smarter and more effective in the games he has played this year, and I hope he gets a fair crack in the team injuries permitting and he should build on performances like that against Sharks last week.

HOWEVER - can't help but feel that Myles, Brown and Lussick (if he is actually even coming?!) will not be enough to take us from bottom 4 to top 4 and GF contenders. More firepower required IMO - Tamou/ Moa will be very good recruits.

I fall somewhere in between on this debate.

I actually like Starling quite a bit. I think he required that first season in first grade to bed in and at the end of last year found some real form and dare I say mongrel.

Mobile, good engine and honest (e.g. chase back v couple of outside backs last year) shows me that he is desperate to impress and improve, and improve he has.

Seems to be a bit smarter and more effective in the games he has played this year, and I hope he gets a fair crack in the team injuries permitting and he should build on performances like that against Sharks last week.

HOWEVER - can't help but feel that Myles, Brown and Lussick (if he is actually even coming?!) will not be enough to take us from bottom 4 to top 4 and GF contenders. More firepower required IMO - Tamou/ Moa will be very good recruits.
Absolutely need Moa and would go after Tamou as well. Watched the game last night, and even though Newcastle lost, in th second half when snowden, sims and their gun young prop started to hit the line and kept off loading - were going almost 90m with each set. They would of trampled Manly. Lussick and the current props (minus Turbo) wont win us a GF. Need at least one of either Moa or Tamou. Would love both, would be a real contender with those additions plus the extra recruitment recently signed

Last edited:
Agree with you Gib that we need more firepower than what we seem to be getting. Brown and Lussick don't actually put much fear into the opposition and Brown is an edge player, still has a high work rate.
Myles plays hard and gets away with the cheap shots in SOO but doesn't actually bust the line in club games.
I'm not over the moon on Lawrence and Buhrer yet until they return from injury and smooth their way into the team. Lawrence's back problem is a worry.
Besides Jake who else has that mongrel trait in them. Don't tell me Symonds and Mateo again.Starling in form perhaps?

Most of us have had our opinions on what the team should look like next year but what about who shouldn't be? This is my personal "disregard" team for the end of this season:

1. M.Rudolph
2. D.Berryman
3. T.Satini
4. C.Blair
5. D.Williams
6. K.Foran
7. J.Littlejohn
8. S.Vave
9. J.Horo (filled in here once)
10. W.Mason
11. J.Hasson
12. M.Chee-Kam
13. D.Lui

Bench:
14. J.Latham
15. T.Wilson
16. T.Andrews
17. N.Nayro (however you spell it)

Thoughts?

Random! But since you bought it up,
If you "disregard" all these players who would you personally replace those players with cos we still need to field a NSW Cup Team?

Why replace all these players?

And how much of these players have you actually seen play?

I'll offer my thoughts after you enlighten us with yours! :)

Mateo doesn't need "mongrel" - he can drag 3 or 4 guys along just through engaging his powerful ass.

Random! But since you bought it up,
If you "disregard" all these players who would you personally replace those players with cos we still need to field a NSW Cup Team?

Why replace all these players?

And how much of these players have you actually seen play?

I'll offer my thoughts after you enlighten us with yours! :)

All the players I've mentioned have either failed to fire in first grade or NSW Cup which is even worse, the players mentioned that could hold their heads high would be Mason (too old), Lui (homesick or is being replaced), Andrews (solid without being great. If we disregarded all those players, this would be the team id play in the NSW Cup next year:
1. T.Trbojevic
2. J.Ramien
3. B.Williame
4. L.Garner
5. D.Reardon
6. W.Pearsall
7. K.Aldridge
8. J.Starling/L.Sao
9. J.Hodges
10. L.Burgess/L.Sao
11. B.Leary
12. F.Mateo
13. J.Sene-Lefao

Bench:
14. L.Knight
15. U.Baker
16. A.Demetriou
17. J.Starling/L.Sao/L.Burgess

Last edited:
Agree with you Gib that we need more firepower than what we seem to be getting. Brown and Lussick don't actually put much fear into the opposition and Brown is an edge player, still has a high work rate.
Myles plays hard and gets away with the cheap shots in SOO but doesn't actually bust the line in club games.
I'm not over the moon on Lawrence and Buhrer yet until they return from injury and smooth their way into the team. Lawrence's back problem is a worry.
Besides Jake who else has that mongrel trait in them. Don't tell me Symonds and Mateo again.Starling in form perhaps?

Lawrence played NSW cup today returning from injury so it wont be long until you see him.

Will be a month at least until he gets some match fitness though

All the players I've mentioned have either failed to fire in first grade or NSW Cup which is even worse, the players mentioned that could hold their heads high would be Mason (too old), Lui (homesick or is being replaced), Andrews (solid without being great. If we disregarded all those players, this would be the team id play in the NSW Cup next year:
1. T.Trbojevic
2. J.Ramien
3. B.Williame
4. L.Garner
5. D.Reardon
6. W.Pearsall
7. K.Aldridge
8. J.Starling/L.Sao
9. J.Hodges
10. L.Burgess/L.Sao
11. B.Leary
12. F.Mateo
13. J.Sene-Lefao

Bench:
14. L.Knight
15. U.Baker
16. A.Demetriou
17. J.Starling/L.Sao/L.Burgess

I'm curious to know how many NSW Cup and NYC games you have personally watched?

How did you come to your conclusion that they have 'failed to fire' because that is a very broad reason to simply write players off?!!

Staff online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8