SBW fight. Hoping for some pain

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Wow, they aren't even trying to hide their cheating now. Going from 12 to 10 rounds! Ridiculous.

Kinda a pity Quade won.

Well. What can you say. SBW was a negative boring boxer who was about to get cleaned up in the end of the 10th. Quade (unfortunately) demolished his opponent.

Boxing is a dying sport. Especially after farcical bouts like tonight. MMA features superior athletes with wider skill sets in a quick format, which is exactly what punters are after these days.

That was boxing corruption at it's best lol!!! That is the 1st time in all my years of watching boxing I have seen a fight changed from 12 rounds to 10 during the actuall fight. It looks very suspect that happened when SBW was starting to get a little rattled by Bothas mind games in the latter rounds. The fact was SBW was definitely leading on points going in to the 10th but the string pullers of the fight could see SBW could possibly get KOd in the last 2 rounds so they pulled the plug just incase. Luckily for them they did because Botha was so close to dropping SBW it wasn't funny.

"A BADLY hurt Sonny Bill Williams survived some of the biggest hits he has ever copped to win a controversial decision over ancient South African Frans Botha at the Entertainment Centre last night.

But with the whiff of farce all over the lead-up, Botha was kicking up a stink after a last-minute decision to switch the bout from 12 rounds to 10 probably cost him victory.
"This shows that Australia is filled with match-fixing," Botha said.
"This was bulls---. It was supposed to be 12 rounds."

Even commentators were caught by surprise over the decision to cut the fight short.

Williams hinted that he might not box again after surviving the furious 10th round.

Botha lost a version of the world heavyweight title after failing a steroid test in 1995.

But last night it was the sharp jabs from Williams that brought him undone early.

That was until Botha came on strong and had Williams badly dazed in the closing seconds. The South African plans to protest - and is demanding a rematch.
Williams was clearly unhappy in the 10th round as Botha, who had struggled to catch the hulking league and union international all night, finally started a bombing raid.

Francois Botha and Sonny Bill Williams after the fight. Picture: Jono Searle

With 30 seconds left and Williams out on his feet, referee Tony Kettlewell stopped the action and took a point from Williams for excessive holding.

The break gave Williams 15 vital seconds to clear his head and Botha had run out of time to finish it.

The portly 44-year-old Botha, who in better days had traded punches with Mike Tyson, Lennox Lewis, Evander Holyfield and Wladimir Klitschko, later said he was pacing himself to go 12 rounds.

It was a thrilling end to a fight that was entertaining but hardly enlightening as to Williams' true ability."

Was that the death knell of "professional" boxing in Australia that rang at the end of the 10th round?
Ask not for whom the bell tolls Sonny Bill, it tolls for thee...

How can something be shattered when it never existed?

'The credibility of pro boxing'. Has there ever been a better example of an oxymoron than this phrase?

Pro boxing has always had 2 things: greedy, unscrupulous promoters making fortunes from young men desperate enough to risk their health; and rueful cries of 'we wuz robbed'. The winner is not always the winner, the holder of the belt is not always the rightful champ.

Last night's show made no effort to hide any of this. 12 rounds becomes 10! Farcical. Hilarious.

But so what? The skill, athleticism, and in particular the courage of the boxers was not fake. Who of us would want to jump into the ring against either of those blokes? Not too many. And that is the point. Even with Botha aged 44, is anyone denying that it took courage for SBW, a veteran of a mere 6 fights, to step into that ring. And vice versa. Just how much courage it took should have been bloody obvious by the end of the 10th.

If someone announced they were going to stage a train wreck, people would come to watch. Doesn't always matter that it is 'staged' in some respects.

Personally I'd much rather see the athlete whose body is actually on the line getting in on the profits, instead of the long list of shady types who traditionally clean up from these affairs. So what if it has a circus aspect? I can't help thinking a lot of the hatred is simply due to another 'uppity nigger' who doesn't know his proper place.

Botha timed himself perfectly for the 12 rounds. Pity that. SBW will retire because there is still some good boxers out there who he will never fight. The name Klitshko anyone? Mundine only ever won vacant titles and never beat champions and Money balls is doing the same. I recently re watched Tysons first 19 fights- only one wasn't a KO. SBW only jabbed and hugged it was like the mardi grai after party couldn't land more than one weighted punch every round. At least he doesn't have mundines mouth.

I'm looking forward to the Federal Government calling a media conference on Monday to say they just uncovered fixing in boxing, as a follow-up to their politically-motivated "Blackest Day In Sport" rant.

PS: If the Federal Government knows so much about performance enhancers why aren't their Ministers on them?

This from sportingbet.com.au... All bets on Francois Botha with Sportingbet Australia have been refunded in his controversial loss to Sydney Roosters recruit Sonny Bill Williams.

When the bookies want to give you your money back you know it's really on the nose.

Maybe SBW has given an insight as to how the Roosters will play the game this year. Go hard early, get in front and call it a day around the 65th minute mark...:huh::p

Huge spin coming out today. In the Sun-Herald SBW thought it was 10 rounds, Botha thought it was 12 but his team didn't tell him:

"Botha's promoter, Thinus Strydom, admitted he had discovered shortly before the fight, which was for the vacant WBA international heavyweight belt, that the bout would be 10 rounds but he did not tell his charge.

''I found out when they were walking in,'' Strydom said. ''They called me aside and said, 'Listen it's been cut down to 10 rounds'. I said to my guy, 'Don't tell him'. Before the bell, you don't do things like that. The last round was cut short and Sonny Bill was out.''

News.com.au reported that:

"under WBA regulations, sanctioned international title fights should go 12 rounds.

Botha's promoter Thinus Strydom said they had agreed to a 10-round bout on the day of the fight, but fans, commentators, and judges weren't told.

There was also talk that Botha was kept in the dark because they didn't want to upset his preparations."

Why would you not tell a boxer to go all out in the last round and make him believe he had two to go? I can think of one very good reason.

Sonny Bill Williams' beaten opponent, Francois Borta, has returned a positive drugs test following Friday night's controversial fight.

A urine sample taken from on the eve of the bout revealed two banned substances in the South African's his system.

The substances are reported to be a stimulant, believed to assist with appetite suppression and fast reflexes, and a muscle relaxant with qualities similar to valium.

The fight had already been described as a farce after it was reduced from 12 rounds to 10 during the boxing match.

http://www.skynews.com.au/sport/article.aspx?id=844399&vId=3803473

But Botha has told ONE Sport that the tests were carried out by a relative of Nasser's and the testing protocols were not carried out correctly.

"I've been told that it was a family member of Khoder Nasser's that took the test," said Botha, from his Durban home. "I remember going to a room, going in there, did my urine and did my blood,a nd the way they sealed it was not appropriate."

Francois Botha says he was offered $A150,000 to throw his controversial heavyweight boxing fight against New Zealander Sonny Bill Williams.

South African veteran Botha said Williams' manager Khoder Nasser had offered him the sum in a Brisbane park on Tuesday last week, three days before the supposed World Boxing Association (WBA) title fight which Williams won on points.

http://www.skynews.com.au/sport/article.aspx?id=845188

I hope this keeps up for months, lol.

Awaiting ufo claims from both sides.

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8